I Don't Know What To Do!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stingray68

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a dilemma... I want to do two different things but I have the money to do only one. I have a few tanks. I have a 55 gallon that currently has a corn snake (FOR SALE), a 20 gallon long, and a normal 20 gallon so aquariums isn't a problem. I either want to do a saltwater reef or a vivarium with poison dart frogs, and plants and stuff but I can't make up my mind. I'm just looking for opinions of what you would do cause I can't make up my mind. What pros and cons can yall think about. Thanks

First figure whether you want frogs or fish??? Second the most you're going to get from here is people telling you to go with fish!

If $$$$ is a problem it can be very expensive to start a saltwater tank, but I can't say as much for reptiles as I have never owned any

flip a coin!! while its in the air you'll realize which one you're hoping for the most and that'll be your choice! It's always worked for me!

Poison dart frogs. I had a couple when I was younger untill my mother found out what kind of frogs they were. There pretty and if you have sensitive skin just wear gloves and wash well if you have to handle them.

Most captive bred poison arrow frogs are fed crickets so they aren't lethal.

When dart frogs are put in captivity they loose their poison. The diet that they eat in the wild gives them what they need to make the poison so once they start eating different bugs they loose their toxicity

Stingray, what kind of corn snake do you have? I have an amel (orange color) one. I would love to have another one but I am looking for a pinkish one. Or maybe ghost corn

Stingray, what kind of corn snake do you have? I have an amel (orange color) one. I would love to have another one but I am looking for a pinkish one. Or maybe ghost corn

I don't know what kind she is but she looks like this

Attachments

• image-2209968130.jpg
    image-2209968130.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 80
When dart frogs are put in captivity they loose their poison. The diet that they eat in the wild gives them what they need to make the poison so once they start eating different bugs they loose their toxicity

I did not know that. If I did I would have been able to keep them this was 11 yrs ago when I was 16. A friend's brother gave me them. I have been wanting to get some again.

looks like a motley lavender. Pretty snake. You shouldn't have any trouble selling her. Wish I was closer to you.

Try Iherp.com. Or go to cornsnakes.com and ask some of the members where would be a good place to post an ad. You have to be a paying member on there to post for sale ads but they can steer you in the right direction. There are a lot of herpetology expos out your way. You might be able to find a buyer there. If it wasn't for the high shipping cost I would take her in a heart beat.

I wanted to add that setting up a vivarium shouldn't cost a great deal since you already have the tanks. Some substrate, a few plants, and a small filter if you set up a pond area. You can get a Whisper internal filter for around $10-$15. They are made so only the bottom has to be submerged. Soil can be gotten at a Dollar Store. Just check to make sure it doesn't have added chemicals. I saw a bag of organic seed starting mix for $2 at my local store. Most stores have 4-6 packs of plants for around $2-$4. Or you could use artificial ones from dollar stores. Most of the snake and amphibian people I talk to do that. There are a lot of websites with instructions to make your own rock formations out of Styrofoam and concrete.Here is a good website with ideas for do it yourself projects. reptile terrarium rock wall background

Poison dart frogs are so cute. I want some of the mini bumble bee ones. I, too, was surprised to find that they aren't poisonous in captivity. It is a type of insect that they eat in the wild that makes them poison.

I think I am going to order from a website called Joshs frogs. They have a lot of good reviews and good stuff. I'm just waiting on my snake to get some money

Back
Top Bottom