Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-21-2005, 03:58 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
I found a postcard from occupied Belgium WorldWarI (pics)

I found this in a wooden chest in a house my dad is considering buying (still renting current house).
The house belonged to a man who recently died and was 102 years old.

The postcard is written in French, in a beautifull handwriting. Some of the words have faded and are very hard to make out. Apart from that it is in excellent condition.
Belgium was occupied during World War I. The stamps on the postcard read: "Deutsches Reich", which means as much as German Empire. And then there is the black ink which is 'stamped' on the stamp. If you get my meaning? This black stamping is still in excellent condition and very well readable. It has the date on it (9th of October 1917), but the header on the postcard is dated 26th of January 1917. Talk about delay!
The place where it was sent is Ottignies, in the French speaking part of Belgium (I have friends living there, they'll be jealous of this find! :P )

I will only be able to post pictures of the postcard sunday evening, when I get back to my mom (sunday noon for most of you )

In the meantime I will try to make out all the words, and post the text once I figured most out. I will also translate to English :P

I feel like a kid who found a treasure!!!!

Old 05-21-2005, 06:30 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff

Old 05-21-2005, 09:12 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via ICQ to SerLunchbox Send a message via AIM to SerLunchbox Send a message via MSN to SerLunchbox Send a message via Yahoo to SerLunchbox
Oh that is a nice find for sure!!!
Lunchbox ... "i'm a man, but i can change, if i have to, i guess"

Tankless ... for now ... until i find what i really want (and what the wife lets me get!)
Old 05-21-2005, 09:25 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
Cool...that is a rare find indeed. I just wonder what that "black" stamp would be worth to a collector?
Old 05-21-2005, 10:54 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
That must be a real gem, Thomas! Congratulations! From your message, I take it that you live in the Flemish part of Belgium? I have an old acquaintance that lives in Antwerp, or at least, used to live there. I was trying to find a map of Antwerp on the web, with his street, but out of luck so far.
Anyway, I look forward to seeing a pic of that postcard! Merci mon ami!

Vote Here for Aquarium Advice
Old 05-21-2005, 12:22 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Sweet!! I can't wait to see pictures.
Old 05-21-2005, 05:25 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to lyquidphyre
Thats crazy! Its amazing to see what you can find when cleaning out older peoples houses. We cleaned out my grandmothers cousins house and found a telegram type letter dated back to 1883 asking for someones hand in marriage

Old 05-22-2005, 06:10 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Things like that are very cool. I'll never forget rummaging through my grandparents house and finding a letter that was written by my great great grandfather while he was serving in the Civil War. It sort of connected me to the history.
Old 05-22-2005, 01:44 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to oscarbreeder
That is really cool Thomas. I really like old things like that.
Please remember to vote for Aquarium Advice!

Old 05-22-2005, 03:01 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Thomas, that is a wonderful find! I can't wait for pictures, and the translation!

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com