Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-01-2005, 02:08 PM   #11
Originally Posted by DepotFish
Good for you for being concerned for the dogs. I have a dog from a large puppy mill. I wish more people knew about all the horrible breeders out there and they were all shut down. Good luck housetraining.

Thanks.. this guy wasn't really a breeder... He was giving away the puppies for free... he only had his female dachsund fixed and the poor Cocker Spaniel.. this was like her 3rd litter from his 2 unfixed Chihuahuas. It was kind of sad really.. like there aren't enough animals in the world that need a home But at least i got a new friend out of the deal!!!
Old 12-01-2005, 02:33 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Congrats Ashley! He is VERY Cute.

Vote for Aquarium Advice

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Old 12-04-2005, 07:01 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via MSN to StripesTheEel
what a great big fluffball!! WONDERFUL puppy!
Old 12-04-2005, 07:56 PM   #14
Thanks!!! Well i took him to the vet on Friday and they said the first set of shots was to be given at 8 weeks and she looked at his teeth and said he was old enough.. so he got his shots, got wormed, and i got a puppy kit with his free first month of heartgeard and another frontline. He goes back in 4 weeks for his second set of shots, and then at 4 months he goes for his Rabies and 3'rd set of puppy shots.. the its yearly after that.

The potty training is the tough part. LOL
Old 12-04-2005, 08:29 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via MSN to StripesTheEel
I just got my new beagle as well.. It is toilet trained already and is 10 weeks old
Old 12-04-2005, 08:34 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
Now... just gotta start working on the potty training...
rub his nose in it 8O
Dimidiochromis compressiceps,
Astatotilapia latifasciata
Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos
Labidochromis caeruleus
Cynotilapia afra 'Cobue'
Pseudotropheus acei 'Msuli Point'
Aulunocara stuartgranti 'chipoka'
Labidochromis freibergi
Oreochromis mossambicus
Etroplus suratensis
Old 12-04-2005, 09:33 PM   #17
Originally Posted by DeFeKt

rub his nose in it 8O
well that has to be the worst advice ever!!! You should never rub an animals nose in thier feces or urine. For one, it can damage their sense of smell. Also many parasites and diseases are transmitted via the fecal/oral rout and if you are trying to get rid of parasites... worm medicine kills live worms, not ova... and if they ingest feces with ova they get infested again.

He's actually doing pretty good... we use a crate and when we are home we take him out every 2 hours... and when we aren't home he goes in the crate. But he still has accidents on occassion... well we've only had him since wednesday.. LOL.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:42 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
this worked well with my pup (who is now 5) and the only time he ever made a mistake was when I forgot to take him out once. Anyway, when I first got him it was summer time and I didn't have a job so I took him outside every 20 minutes during the day and picked up his food and water bowl two hours before bedtime. This was for the first two weeks. The next week I extended it to every 30 minutes, then every 45 minutes the following week, then every hour, hour and a half, two hours, three times a day, two times a day. He also went with me to the barn (which I guess was my job that summer) and spent plenty of hours outside running with a pack of dogs (great for socialization). Oh, and use the same command every time you take the pup out to go to the bathroom. It helps them distinguish going outside for playing/walking/running and going outside to do their "business."

*edit* you might want to take him out more frequently because he is such a small pup. Puppies and small dogs have itty bitty bladders. That will help with the accidents too.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:45 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
You never rub a nose in it! They can't associate the punishment with the accident, it just damages the relationship with the rub-er and make the rub-er look ridiculous! Well, that's what my dog training for dummies book says.

What a cute puppy! I would agree that it's the cutest I've ever seen, but I just got my Sisco, so I can't, but I can say, one of the two cutest puppies I've ever seen.

Keep in mind, as I have learned over the last couple weeks, if the puppy seems to understand where to go potty, but still has accidents, especially if it's piddling in a line as opposed to squating in one spot, it could be a urinary tract infection. That is common in puppies and mine is on meds for it now. Fortunately, he does understand and claws the sliding glass door when he needs to go. The piddling is getting much less as the meds take effect, but he's also 15 weeks old, so you have a ways to go.

I think the AKC book says accidents up to six months are common.

Good luck, enjoy the puppy.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:59 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via AIM to Syn6644
What a cute pup! I remember when my little black pomeranian was a small puffball. Good luck and congrats!

40 gal Reef
45 # LR
1 Black and White Clown
1 Bi-color Blenny
1 Scissortail
Several hermits
Several snails
2xSmall Brittle Stars
1xFrogspawn, 1xStarburst
2 PHs
Aqua C skimmer
2x96 watt Current CF
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com