i got a puppy!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
nope, no piddling. He is doing much better. HE was in his crate for 6 hours today and when my husband got home to take him out, he didn't have any accidents. He urintaed outside and now he's sleeping on the couch...

Oh dear, there are still people who believe that rubbing the nose in the pup's accident is the sole reason it was housetrained. Not true it was taking him outside consistently that did it. A puppy doesn't understand why you are rubbing its nose in a puddle of pee, it thinks you want it to drink. I hope this cruel practice disappears soon, its so out of date and illogical. I wouldn't use an AKC book to teach dog care, they haven't learned themselves. But at least it a little more insight than those who rub the pup's nose in pee. Autumn slept on my bed the first night she came home and didn't have a single accident. As long as you watch the pup and notice signs that they have to go, then accidents should really be very few and far between. I used a bell on my door, tied it at nose level and each time I went out I touched it with her nose enough for it to make noise. Soon she learned to touch the bell with her nose when she needed to go out.

I'm glad I checked back to this thread for updates! New pics from the first time I saw them. He is just so darn cute. I am jealous here. Potty training dogs come much faster than kids remember that, LOL.

Update- He sleeps with us at night and has never made a mess in the bed.. although he wakes up at 4am and starts whimpering until one of us takes him outside. He is in the crate while we are gone during the day and has NEVER messed in his crate. We take him out as soon as we get home and he goes outside. But he doesn't always like to poop outside. For instance yesterday my husband took him out and he peed and then he brought him in and he came in and pooped inside... Well today i took him out and he peed and he came back in and ate, and then i cought him squatting, i picked him up and said NO.. then i took him outside and he pooped in the grass.... i told him he was a good boy and brought him back in. Positive reinforcement usually works well with puppies and he gets better each time!

Sisco is finally holding his piddle! It's been three days now with no accidents. I think the urinary infection was probably the problem. He's doing really well. I bought a crate for Sisco and haven't trained him to it yet. The problem is that I have another dog, so it's hard to confine him. We were confining him to one room, but he's got the whole house now with no problems (well, unless I leave a shoe out!)

This is kind of funny. The Dog Training for Dummies book says to make sure that when the puppy goes outside you tell him "What a clever puppy he is." So for the first couple of weeks this became a joke with us. "You're such a clever puppy, what a clever puppy you are." My neighbors must think I'm nuts!

Ashley, don't forget to post new pics!

crate training is awesome. its his own little space!!!

i will have to get more pics when i eet home this afternoon.

He's so fuzzy! Do you just cuddle him to death? My puppy has such short hair, but he's definately a mamma's boy and loves to cuddle

Attachments

• sleeping.jpg
    sleeping.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 23
  • spoiled.jpg
    spoiled.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 19
For instance yesterday my husband took him out and he peed and then he brought him in and he came in and pooped inside

Must be a guy pup. :lol: See, that whole process/preference you described is something I can identify with too. :wink:

awe sdellin.. how cute!!
heres a few more
img_540706_0_d1d7aceb98a925479d5a6f0db8ce3468.jpg

img_540706_1_5560b37bebe66c00506d3a2465878ab3.jpg

img_540706_2_732570613df1f0e37c42f0c6db82e05f.jpg

img_540706_3_1622d8146e368d91164ce627bbdd6af0.jpg

img_540706_4_c75a8d0ba0b6b20bb16949dd127af7f5.jpg

sdellin said:
Okay, that's either a tiny puppy or one huge cat! :D

both!!! LOL.. actually baybkitty is small but fat. the puppy is tiny tho.

omg.. Neo, the puppy has been terrorizing my cats all day long!!! He will find scuba and start chasing him around... but Scuba knows that Nemo is slow and can't climb up the stairs... its so cute!

Pup looks healthy !
Is it just me, or in the last picture does your cat look like it's saying "Mum, I'm going to eat this small creature"
haha the cats will get their own back..time is of the essence.. :twisted:

quick question..... How can a dog not associate punishment with the bad behaviour when it can associate rewards with good behaviour. Isn't that like saying, it understands yes but it doesn't understand no?
:)

Matt.

The idea is that they don't understand if they've already done it and gone on to something else.

If you catch them in the act, that's when you say "NO!", take them outside and say "GO POTTY" the praise them when they do.

They do understand when you catch them doing it, you just can't punish them later if you find it after the fact.

Yeah... my cats and my dogs have always been taught with both negative and positive feedeback. If i catch them doing something wrong, i always say "No" and if i have to i tap them on the top of their nose (Just hard enough to startle them) But this only works if you catch them doing something wrong... For example i cought Neo squatting and i picked him up and said No.. then we went directly outside and when he went potty i said "good boy" and scratched his head.

i haven't had a puppy in years... ive had many many kittens... but i didn't realize how fast and how attached i would get!!! When im not home i worry about him, I call my husband while im at work to check on him... I have never done this with the cats... its not that i love the puppy more than the cats... but I think it is becuase cats are so independent... and the puppy is so needy.

Cats are definately more independant. I feel the same way, I know the cat will always be there doing just fine. I also call home when I'm not there and haven't taken the dogs with me. But I take them with me so much. They're spoiled, the fish would be spoiled too if it weren't for the fact that too many treats will kill them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom