Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-13-2011, 04:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I got bit 0.o

I was over my uncles house today and he has a 200gal reef (I know!!) and he has like a ton of fish, but I LOVE his royal gramma, cause I'm 100% freshy, and guppies are the most colorful thing for me lol. But anyways, he was putting a 10lb live rock in, to promote new coral growth since it's been the same old same old for 8 years. I was helping him lower it into the tank to make sure it wouldn't smash anything, and we put it next to a cave. Well I moved my fingers really quick so I wouldn't get my fingers pinched as we put it in, and the gramma was in the cave. It's a royal knucklehead so it decided to open it's freaky mouth like a psycho and bite my ring finger and my pinkie knuckle. Stupid berserk-o fish. I almost fell into the aquarium! (it's 4ft high) it was bleeding A LOT! After I applied pressure with some gauze, it stopped, but my finger is torn up! I actually might need some skin-stitch-glue stuff (DermaBond)!! Omg this is why I stay with fish that don't have evil spaz attacks. 0.0

We have DermaBond, but do you think I could have contracted any kind of disease or something? I don't want to seal it, and end up sealing a disease in it. I know this might sound stupid, but I am literally allergic to seafood, and shellfish, do you think something might happen?? Someone find ChelseaLake, she's a nurse right?

God is light, in him there is no darkness at all. 1 John 1:5
Emi929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:23 PM   #2
i3k
Aquarium Advice FINatic

use some hydrogen peroxide on the wound...how deep is it?

Old 03-13-2011, 04:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Used some and it foamed a ton. Its like 3 or 4 1inch long gashes, and they are as deep as........ The height of a keyboard key on an iPod or IPhone. I know it's a bad analogy, but it's the closest estimate. Or the home button square on an iPod/iPhone/iPad.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:08 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Keep up with the H2O2 till it doesn't foam anymore. Betadine soap works good too.

Sent from my Epic 4G
Old 03-13-2011, 06:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Haha I'm an EMT. Jesus! I'm sorry you got bit! Grammas are so cute too! If you start to have trouble breathing or notice any swelling in your mouth/rashes/spots...you could be having a reaction, and you would have to take some diphenhydramine (benadryl or the walmart brand). However, you would have probably had a reaction by now if you were allergic to the fish.

If you're allergic to seafood (iodine allergy?), don't use betadine. It would be a long shot, but that could spark an allergic reaction. It has surgical iodine in it. Just be on the safe side and use a soap with triclosan (Dial). Use a triple antibiotic ointment or bacitracin on it, and cover it until it starts to close up.

You were right to keep that direct pressure on that thing. If it's still bleeding, you might need a stitch or two.

You can contract fish TB or another bacterial infection from the bite, but unless the fish was a confirmed TB case, don't worry about it. Just keep it clean and dry. If something goes wrong, or you have any questions, be sure to see a doctor.

Feel better!
ChelseaLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:09 PM   #6
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I'm sure the fact that you had your hand in salt water didn't help the pain any either did it?

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:17 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thank you so much Chelsea!!! I do have an iodine allergy, figured it out while I was having surgery a few years ago! It's still bleeding, changed gauze 3 times after layering it 4 times soaking through. Going over my uncles neighbors house (plastic surgeon) to see if he thinks I need a stitch or two.

And yeah, the saltwater burned SOOOOOO bad. There was some blood in the water and literally EVERY fish came over and started spazzing about around the blood. Good to know they'll eat me alive lol

Old 03-13-2011, 06:56 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yikes! Good catch on the iodine in betadine Chelsea. I used it on a stray cat bite my daughter got and her MD said it was the best. She also put her on a 7 days of antibiotics which is something to consider asking the surgeon about.

Good luck and feel better soon!

Sent from my Epic 4G
Old 03-13-2011, 08:20 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Fish TB, vibrio, although possible, are very rare. Just keep an eye on the wound and keep it clean. If you see any signs of infection, see a doctor ASAP.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:24 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hey everyone!!! The plastic surgeon cleaned it, examined it, then had to put 4 stitches total. One for every gash. At least I know it will barely scar though thanks for everyones help! I really appreciate it!!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com