I have converted...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Er. Well, here's why I use Windows XP Pro: It works. I go 2 weeks without reboots usually, and generally only then because I've installed a new game or driver, or thunderstorm, etc. This was not possible with any 9x/ME versions of Windows, so I consider it a drastic improvement, especially in areas of memory management (I remember how often I used to have to run a RAM defrag in 98SE, never do in XP Pro). Granted XP Home is pretty much crap, but Pro has just about anything anyone could need.

I'm not particularily pro-Microsoft, but as far as desktops go, I view it as "Don't fix what isn't particularily broken" .. I find most people using Linux for a desktop do so merely because its not Microsoft. My games all run under WinXP, I have backwards compatibility with NT, 2k, 9x, and ME, and it doesn't crash. I don't need anything else.

Yes, patches are released MONTHLY. Its not daily. Guess what? Linux patches are released monthly/daily as well, depending. Debian recieves various security updates about every 15 days, from what I can tell. Depending on the distribution, you may see more or none. Some distribution groups simply don't bother to keep you up to date, it doesn't mean you're secure because you haven't had a patch shoved down you.

Let's address the virus thing. You don't worry about viruses with linux because there's only approximately 470 in the wild, compared to 60,000 for Windows. Viruses don't particularily relie on vulnerabilities.. Vulnerability ALWAYS exist somewhere in the OS. They rely on Numbers. The more Linux desktops that appear, the more likely Linux viruses will start to appear. In a way, by advocating Linux desktops, you're bringing about the end of a 'virus free' era.

Linux servers get hacked regularily because server operators don't correctly patch or keep their applications up to date, quite similar to NT/2k servers. The number may be lower than Windows servers, but its not a great deal of difference. Got the latest patches to ssh, mysql, ssl, apache, php, perl, etc? I hope so. They can be hacked as easily as IIS by anyone really determined to get in.

Like I said, I'm NOT pro-Microsoft. But I'm tired of anti-Microsoft people sprouting about Linux without looking at the whole picture.

*goes to server, types apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, patches up a few holes in Debian*

I never said I was anti-microsoft. I'm one test away from my MCSA. Realistically I'll be supporting microsoft software for quite some time and will have to embrace all the boons and flaws that makes it what it is.

XP pro is based on NT, that's why it's more stable then any 9x box; it has different roots and can't really be compared as they are that different in structure.

The only real way for any computer (regardless of OS) to remain virus-free is to never connect to a remote network. I'd like to actually see a linux virus so I can analyze how it works and how to erradicate it.

People/companies usually don't implement security (regardless of OS) because it is costly or they simply don't know how. It is easy enough to stop hackers at the router if you understand how to implement ACL's properly.

On Microsoft's site they sell xp pro for $299 (upgrade for $199). When you buy a computer with an operating system installed, you are paying for an OEM liscense (not sure how much that is). It's included in the cost of the computer.

I downloaded linux for $0.

When you consider all the vulnerabilities (real or imagined) within any OS; when you look at all the malicious programs and scripts out there affecting either OS; in the end all I have to say about linux is "At least I didn't have to pay for it." (and if you burned a copy of windows or borrowed your friend's copy without purchasing a license then you are taking the risk of getting caught. bill isn't doing much about this now, but will be soon :wink: )

Neh, well. I got my XP Pro copy for $150. I had a pirated copy of Win2k Pro but the compatibility issues were driving me up the wall with both new and old games so I bit the bullet and went legit.

I haven't regretted it yet. I've 'cheated' and put it on three PCs total, mine, the wife's, and my brother's, and I've never had a problem. I never really had a problem with Win98 either. I found it fun to see how long I could go without a reboot (I managed several 2 weeks stretches)..

I've never had a virus or anything take over my computer. As many as these problems exist, Microsoft DOES get them fixed in a fairly timely fashion before the vulnerablity ends up exploited (in most cases). Usually, its the user that is at fault when a virus manages to get in.

Its just like MSBlaster last year. We lost an entire day of work, even though the mainframe was unaffected (Funny how there's no viruses for z/OS), our desktops are all Win2K and without them we can't work. PC/Lan had known about the patch for over a month and still hadn't begun pushing it out. Actually, I think they're STILL pushing it out. We have a lot of PCs, but I can't believe that it honestly takes over a month to hit them all. You can always just slam it out at night when the corporate lan is idle.

compatibility issues were driving me up the wall with both new and old games so I bit the bullet and went legit......I never really had a problem with Win98 either
I didn't have too many issues with games going from 98 to 2k. I think 98 is great for a gaming system. 2k doesn't support force feedback though. Cardinal sin in my book...

I've never had a virus or anything take over my computer.
I wish the users I have to support could say the same. I spent at least 6 hours this past week cleaning up messes like you wouldn't believe. Users that have administrator permissions so they can use a legacy app ending up with bonzai buddy, lycos sidesearch, IstBar, etc. Takes a while to clean that crap up. Ad Aware doesn't even get all of it out.

Its just like MSBlaster last year......You can always just slam it out at night when the corporate lan is idle.
When I was working for the feds they just put it into the GPO when anybody logged on. The down side is that most people needed to be patched up to SP4 for 2k so we had users taking upwards of 45 minutes just to logon that first time (glad I didn't have to answer the phones during that time period...)

We run 2k for our workstations but buy XP licenses for all new PC's. I could probably just take the sticker off one of the new pc's and put it on the oem disk that comes with it if I really wanted xp pro...

I still like the linux thing. Sure I can't download every thing that comes my way on the internet, but it fits my needs and is low key enough that I can get by doing things that can't be done with microsoft...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom