Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-03-2004, 03:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to deli_conker
I have converted...

to linux baby! SO much better than windows. No licensing costs, no CD keys, no 'windows updates' for critical security patches. No money spent on it or any of the software it comes with (office, 3d design tools, financial planning apps, games (not solitaire or minefield) and much more.

I support windows where I work and I'm so sick of all the problems inherent within. We run Unix/Linux servers and they are solid (i.e. never down). I put SuSE 9.1 on my work laptop and it will probably find it's way to my home pc soon.

Great OS. Anybody else here running it?

Old 06-03-2004, 04:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to bunebop
I'm running linux on my computer, but only because I have no other choice. My computer apparently hates windows and freezes every 30 seconds while I'm in it. I still have to print using windows however, since i have not found a way to get my printer to work w/ linux.

~55 galFW ~6 zebra danios (I think, haven't seen some in a while), ~7 black skirt tetras, 1 clown pleco, 1 cory cat, 3 pit bull plecos, 1 baby guppy in a breeders net, and 1 red minor tetra

I also have a couple other tanks w/o fish as right now I do not have the room/time and there is a chance of moving in the "near" future so I don't want to get more fish for them. I'm downsizing for the moment.
Old 06-03-2004, 05:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
i know lunix is better (runs smother) but is it plug and play? can i plug a usb camera into it and BAMM! the software is loading? every OS should have this option.
Old 06-03-2004, 05:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

lol, nah... I think you would have to "mount" it every single time... which is an absolute pain if you ask me. I know it runs better as well, but I still hate it!

~55 galFW ~6 zebra danios (I think, haven't seen some in a while), ~7 black skirt tetras, 1 clown pleco, 1 cory cat, 3 pit bull plecos, 1 baby guppy in a breeders net, and 1 red minor tetra

I also have a couple other tanks w/o fish as right now I do not have the room/time and there is a chance of moving in the "near" future so I don't want to get more fish for them. I'm downsizing for the moment.
Old 06-03-2004, 06:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It's one of those things I keep meaning to get around to...

What type of laptop you got? Don't know if mine would fully support linux. But it might...

I've been wanting to upgrade the hard drive and dual boot windows and linux, that way I can work w/windows when I need to. It's a laptop though... so I dunno about the hard drive. And I'm no computer genius

I've heard good things about suse from a coworker of my bf. What made you choose suse over mandrake/red hat, etc. More desktop user oriented?
Old 06-03-2004, 07:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a compaq Presario 700 which dual-boots in both linux and windows. I also have no idea how any of it works. lol My boyfriend put it all on here for me. I have redhat linux... but I didn't choose which to put on there... lol my boyfriend did... and I have no idea what all he did to it. I'm not too bright in that area 8O It's more difficult (for me to use at least) than windows is... and if I want to change or find something, I have quite a hard time finding it a lot. It does run very well on my computer though, which is more than I can say abotu windows.

Old 06-03-2004, 08:22 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I've used Red Hat at work for the past 2 or 2.5 years. The biggest problem or the longest downtime I've had in that time was when the RAM went bad on me. Otherwise, I think there was maybe 4 or 5 times I had to reboot my workstation (kernel upgrades)

Before that I was running Windows 98. Countless number of problems (Blue Screen of Death, software reinstalls, lock ups, etc.) Weekly reboots were normal.

I'm converting over to Debian now due to ease of updates (apt-get update) and installations (apt-get install or apt-get install <package_name>). Also, the hardware detection ability of the initial install is very good. The other benefit is the community support for updates and maintenance.

The no license costs, CD keys, et al. is an attractive benefit - but not having to worry about this weeks virus or worm, spyware or crashing for no apparent reason is much more attractive IMO.

Old 06-03-2004, 08:27 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefRaff
i know lunix is better (runs smother) but is it plug and play? can i plug a usb camera into it and BAMM! the software is loading? every OS should have this option.
Every manufacturer should have drivers freely available for all Operating Systems!
Old 06-04-2004, 09:32 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
You can get apt-get for RH.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:24 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to deli_conker
Quote:
i have not found a way to get my printer to work w/ linux.
What type of printer? What distribution/version of linux?

Quote:
I think you would have to "mount" it every single time...
I have had no problems with any USB devices thus far. I don't have a webcam, but I have tried various peripherals.

Quote:
What type of laptop you got? Don't know if mine would fully support linux. But it might...
I'm running it on a Dell Latitude d-500.

Quote:
What made you choose suse over mandrake/red hat, etc. More desktop user oriented?
I support SuSE at work (server). Also I had heard (not sure on this) that red-hat was moving towards a model where you have to buy the distribution; they provide support, but you still have to pay to get it. Not sure if that's true or not. This is kinda hard to explain if you don't use it, but you don't have to have a "desktop" to run linux. You can install several different ones (included with linux) if you would like. The most popular that I know of are the K.D.E. desktop and the GNOME desktop. They are all set up a little different so it's pretty much personal preference as to which one you use.

Quote:
but not having to worry about this weeks virus or worm, spyware or crashing for no apparent reason is much more attractive
Aren't there only like 3 virii for linux? That is definitely easier to deal with than windows 'legion' of virii. I really like Mozilla's web browser too. I'm using it on my windows PC at work.

Quote:
Also, the hardware detection ability of the initial install is very good.
I had absolutely no issues with hardware detection at all on the laptop. I'll try one of home pc's soon and see if there are any issues there...

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com