Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-12-2005, 10:40 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have had a pretty rough week...(kinda long)

It all started about a month ago, when we thought my beloved Jack Russell Terrier had hurt his neck, three vet trips later, he was resting at home taking a slew of drugs (he had a morphine(sp?) patch)
This past Friday, I could hear him clinking around in his crate. I went to check on him, and he couldnt get his hind legs under himself. I scooped him up, ran outside and had my neighbor rush me to the vets. Thank God I didnt drive myself, Jack stopped breathing and I would have wrecked my car. I blew real hard on his face. Nothing. I checked his gums, and they were white. I used the tip of my finger and rubbed them really hard, looking for a pain reflex. He gasped and started panting. After administering o2 and two shots of valium, he started to pink back up and seemed to be doing fine. We figured he had a seizure and would take him to the emergency vet in the next town to be on seizure watch for the night. At about 10:30pm the vet called me to let me know he was having a "episode" and that he had quit breathing. but seemed OK now. He wanted me to take him to a neurologist the next morning, it was NOT a seizure. About 30 minutes later the phone rang again, I didnt even have to answer it. I knew.
We laid Jack Attack to rest in my flower bed Saturday morning. (well actually, built a flower bed around where we put him)

I never thought I could love an animal so much. He did more traveling in the two years he was with us, them some humans do in their life times.
He made it to nine states
He made it to a Miata rally
He made it to Bike Week in Daytona Beach and rode a motorcycle down Main Street.
He tangeled with a opossum and won
He tangeled with a declawed cat and lost... (one TOUGH cat)
He was the first to jump in my moms new pool
He peed on the no dogs allowed sign on the beach in Daytona
He and my hubby would fight over who owned the pillow on a nightly basis
Whomever had the blanket was his best friend
I miss my friend.

This link is something I threw together, and its a little long... (just cut and paste)

Old 04-12-2005, 10:58 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm sorry for your loss, it always hurts when you loose a good friend and member of the family.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 04-12-2005, 11:32 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to mitche8359
Oh my gosh! He looked like a great dog!!! The type that loved to hang his head out of car windows or convertibles tops.

Remember him always!

55 gal fresh - planted 2wpg ~ Eheim eco filter ~ south american theme
java moss - misc anubia - amazon sword - Red rubin sword - tennellus chain swords
4 ottos, 1 pleco, 3 high fin white tetras, 3 Black Phantom Tetras, 1 high fin black tetra, 1 black tetra, 2 diamond tetras, 3 yoyos

Join the Ohio Regional Forum and share information with local enthusiasts
Vote for Aquarium Advice Today
Old 04-12-2005, 11:33 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
So sorry Melody.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:49 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm so sorry too, Melody. It sounds like Jack enjoyed a full and happy life. You were both lucky to have found each other.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:52 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
My condolences, Melody. Keep him close to your heart and his memory will live on.
NewFishGuy aka. Robert
"Nunquam Non Paratus"

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 04-12-2005, 01:27 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am so sorry about your loss Melody. I lost my 4 year old Akita on May 23, 2003 due to corporate greed and lies (if you're interested, do a search for Proheart 6), and I know exactly how you feel. That was quite possibly the saddest thing that's ever happened to me so I can understand what you're going through.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:38 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
OH no melody. Im so sorry.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:43 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Thank You all so much. I have been handeling it much better now. At least today I can tell people, and they can actually understand what Im saying... instead of looking for a tissue...
Old 04-13-2005, 02:55 AM   #10
God of primitive fishes
Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
I am so sorry, Melody...I know how it is all too well.

G. A. Christian Bilou, Herpetologist
Founder/Director, Reptile Rescue Alberta
Past-President, Calgary Aquarium Society
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com