Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-10-2012, 12:13 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman0777
I wanted to see if anyone agrees with me... I look at freshwater fish and saltwater fish but I get bored of saltwater fish, I think freshwater has more species that are fun to mix up and try new things with. Saltwater always has the same fish, same setups etc... Does anybody agree?
I think its the opposite way around. Freshwater fish all look like the same thing. Also, they all look like a fish I could catch outside in a pond.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:58 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to George9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake337

I think its the opposite way around. Freshwater fish all look like the same thing. Also, they all look like a fish I could catch outside in a pond.
I disagree. Have you ever seen rams or african cichlids? Some cichlids are just as colorful, if not more colorful than sw fish

But i do agree that sw fish are more colorful, more variety. Just not the fact that all fw fish look the same and could be caught in local ponds

Old 07-10-2012, 04:03 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake337

No way! Google discus. I rest my case.

Or German blue rams. And gouramis.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:03 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

African cichlids were descended from a kind of wrasse which I don't think any cichlid anywhere can compete with say a leopard wrasse, Christmas wrasse or how bout the colors on dragonettes.. SW has a much larger selection just not as readily available. Fish and corals of the same species can differ from reef to reef. There are even seahorses that evolve to mimic a specific gorgonia perfectly and new ones are found frequently as the gorgonias change. Don't forget everything came from the ocean at one point
Old 07-10-2012, 10:30 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman0777 View Post
Does anybody agree?
I think it's a very personal choice..... I don't find either better than the other. I just know what suits me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake337 View Post
Freshwater fish all look like the same thing. Also, they all look like a fish I could catch outside in a pond.
Don't get out much, do you......
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:49 AM   #16
come get me tang police!

I could say the same thing about SW fish, but I guess its because I grew up on the gulf coast and spent much of my time in the water. I think that's one reason I'm not too interested in keeping SW fish. SW tanks are the rage here also so it seems like everyone has one.

There are tons of uncommon/rare FW fish out there that are making their way into the hobby, so you can easily do a tank unlike anyone elses if you make your way past the big box store when you are stocking. I guess the same could be said for SW as well, but the price tag is much higher.

That's my other issue with SW, I don't like the investment cost. Water changes cost a lot more, there's more equipment to be had, and the stock is generally much more expensive. I also like the breeding aspect of FW fish, and I know it can be done with SW but it's definitely a different ballgame.

I like having lots of tanks and I think if I went all SW I'd only have a couple because I'm not into investing thousands into fish tanks.

We still might do a SW nano one day but it's not on my plate at the moment.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by paytertot

No way! Google discus. I rest my case.

Or German blue rams. And gouramis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by George9

I disagree. Have you ever seen rams or african cichlids? Some cichlids are just as colorful, if not more colorful than sw fish

But i do agree that sw fish are more colorful, more variety. Just not the fact that all fw fish look the same and could be caught in local ponds
No way guys! If i walk into a sw section..literally every fish i see if more colorful/just as colorful as any fw fish around. Seriously! The lamest of sw fish, like say a yellow tail damsel, would be a sweet fw fish! The standards are just higher.

Plus, lets just say a discus is 50$ okay? Thats expensive in sw (for me). The most ive payed for a sw fish is 60. I could get a 20 dollar fish like my chalk bass that has all the colors of a discus..
Old 07-10-2012, 12:16 PM   #18
come get me tang police!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66 View Post
No way guys! If i walk into a sw section..literally every fish i see if more colorful/just as colorful as any fw fish around. Seriously! The lamest of sw fish, like say a yellow tail damsel, would be a sweet fw fish! The standards are just higher.

Plus, lets just say a discus is 50$ okay? Thats expensive in sw (for me). The most ive payed for a sw fish is 60. I could get a 20 dollar fish like my chalk bass that has all the colors of a discus..
Not everyone wants the most colorful fish either. There are plenty of people who have to have the wildest craziest colors in FW but they usually veer towards glofish and flowerhorns. I do agree that SW fish in stores are generally much more colorful compared to FW though. I would expect them to since there's a heck of a lot more SW than there is FW on earth, lol.

And SW fish cost a lot more than FW fish do, in general. You may not pay a lot for yours but overall they do and they always will until you have successful hobbyist breeders and large scale farms pushing the prices down.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey

Not everyone wants the most colorful fish either. There are plenty of people who have to have the wildest craziest colors in FW but they usually veer towards glofish and flowerhorns.

And SW fish cost a lot more than FW fish do, in general. You may not pay a lot for yours but overall they do and they always will until you have successful hobbyist breeders and large scale farms pushing the prices down.
Who wouldnt want more color? It one thing is you like natives, its unique. But the average joe wants activity and color right?

Oh totally. Its just that some of the most colorful fw fish, which are considered the prettiest, can compare to the looks of cheaper saltwater fish. Thats why i used the example of the discus to the chalk. Theres no way sw fish will ever be cheap though..
Old 07-10-2012, 12:23 PM   #20
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Why does it always have to be one against the other? They're two entirely different setups, each with their own pros and cons. If you don't like sw, don't set up a sw tank... if you don't like fw, don't set up a fw tank. Easy.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com