Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #31
come get me tang police!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel View Post
That not what i meant. I was trying to say they they prefer the side that they have experience with. For example you prefer freshwater because you only have experience in freshwater
But I don't prefer freshwater because of that at all. It's kinda backwards, I have experience with FW because I prefer it, so it's something I do.

Like I said earlier I spent most of my life in and around the water here, fishing, snorkeling, you name it. I have vivid memories of collecting seahorses and seeing all kinds of colorful fish off of rock jetties and on grass flats. It may not qualify the same as keeping a saltwater tank, but it does play a factor in my preference for SW or FW fish.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:55 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

I prefer whatever type of water the individual fish I am interested in comes from for that particular aquarium. There are plenty of interesting fish from fresh, brackish, saltwater, coldwater, tropical, temperate, whatever waters to keep any reasonable person occupied for a lifetime.

To assume that the only "interesting" fish are those which are commercial sold en masse, or those which are discussed on this website at large, is a foolish notion. Ignorance of other options does not eliminate their viability.

I would also venture that the "average joe" is more interested in big, mean predators than small colorful clownfish. Just look at the prevalence of monster tanks, catfish, piranhas, pacus, oscars, gar, lionfish, groupers, sharks, snakeheads, etc. Those fish aren't flashy in the slightest, compared to most of the "wimpy" offerings in the trade, yet the obsession still remains.

If you want to waste time insisting that one environment is superior to the other and beating that horse to death, be my guest. I'll be too busy enjoy my fish

Toodles.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:03 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPillow
I would also venture that the "average joe" is more interested in big, mean predators than small colorful clownfish. Just look at the prevalence of monster tanks, catfish, piranhas, pacus, oscars, gar, lionfish, groupers, sharks, snakeheads, etc. Those fish aren't flashy in the slightest, compared to most of the "wimpy" offerings in the trade, yet the obsession still remains.
But i think the difference here is that not many aquarists have a big enough tank to keep those species. By large, the smaller, more colorful fish are more popular. The Clownfish is one of the most popular in the saltwater trade!
Old 07-10-2012, 02:08 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

You seem to be under some strange assumption that only people with "big enough" tanks keep those species.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:10 PM   #35
come get me tang police!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPillow View Post
You seem to be under some strange assumption that only people with "big enough" tanks keep those species.
Don't tell everyone about my shark bowl =[
Old 07-10-2012, 02:11 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
I assumed thats what we were talking about, considering you used "monster tanks" in your last post.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Tanks housing monsters, not tanks of monstrous proportion.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:17 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Tanks housing monsters, not tanks of monstrous proportion.
Gotcha lol. Misunderstanding..

Even if we factor in the amount of beginners buying an oscar or other monster and killing it, do you still think that there would be more than the amount of people buying clowns, guppies, or other smaller fish? We need some facts lol
Old 07-10-2012, 10:16 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaB

I think it's a very personal choice..... I don't find either better than the other. I just know what suits me.

Don't get out much, do you......
Actually, I've had fw for 3 years before moving onto sw and the hobby wasn't even close to being as exciting as sw. I feel like all fw fish look like trouts and catfish...Ect....I've never seen any fw fish that have bright colors or designs.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:18 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

I'm pretty sure the only freshwater fish that look like trout and catfish are trout and catfish.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com