I just wanna see if....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caveman0777

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I wanted to see if anyone agrees with me... I look at freshwater fish and saltwater fish but I get bored of saltwater fish, I think freshwater has more species that are fun to mix up and try new things with. Saltwater always has the same fish, same setups etc... Does anybody agree?

I think that they both have there qualities. I like FW but SW attracts me. Sw has so many different corals and anenomies that color isn't a problem. But some FW fish can breed and have tons of color aswell.

I think it all depends on the person. to me, what intrests me are the variety of plants and how you can create diffrent kind of views such as biotopes and nature style aquariums. saltwater has its amazing corals that actually lives too. igs like two diff kind of worlds

Each water has its perks, I'm a Fw person and love the look of both kind of tanks, in SW there is so much to look at, its not just one focal point and everything seems to come alive. In FW you can have plants and make everything look so natural. So IMO I am not against FW or SW, we all put allot of love and work into each and every one of our tanks. And I give credit to anyone FW or SW for all of their hard work, time, research, and dedication that goes into them.

butterfly_koi said:
Each water has its perks, I'm a Fw person and love the look of both kind of tanks, in SW there is so much to look at, its not just one focal point and everything seems to come alive. In FW you can have plants and make everything look so natural. So IMO I am not against FW or SW, we all put allot of love and work into each and every one of our tanks. And I give credit to anyone FW or SW for all of their hard work, time, research, and dedication that goes into them.

I never thought about the work it takes, maybe thats what makes it fun. Maybe I'm just a fw person, I just like to be creative... And never seen sw tank looking different.

caveman0777 said:
I wanted to see if anyone agrees with me... I look at freshwater fish and saltwater fish but I get bored of saltwater fish, I think freshwater has more species that are fun to mix up and try new things with. Saltwater always has the same fish, same setups etc... Does anybody agree?

Really? I get bored of fw fish someof the time!

For my tank, i like to get odd species. I dont know of many other people that have the same combo of sw fish that i do. Honestly, it is all about researching and making your perfect stock. Lots of sw tanks are similar..clowns..gobies..etc, but all tanks are different and interesting to their owner in some way!!

Gboy66 said:
Really? I get bored of fw fish someof the time!

For my tank, i like to get odd species. I dont know of many other people that have the same combo of sw fish that i do. Honestly, it is all about researching and making your perfect stock. Lots of sw tanks are similar..clowns..gobies..etc, but all tanks are different and interesting to their owner in some way!!

I agree my tank isn't a "usual stock" as most peoples aren't I've come to find on here although the clownfish tank is very common due to finding nemo and peoples kids but lately the SW industry has taken a turn for the better with many more people trying it out. There are also many more species and sub species in the saltwater industry I believe. they are just harder to get your hands on since they are mostly wild caught still and once you get past the fish you have a massive selection of corals and inverts, even plants. With that said I do believe the "green" look of a well planted/scaped tank is very appealing and relaxing due to the way we can relate more to the "natural feel" being it resembles land more but a well done reef I believe can rival any tank of any style in color, variety of life, and activity. But that's just my opinion :)

I would love saltwater but I do prefer tropical, I would only want like a few clown anemones a mandarin , yellow tang and a Dore fish lol!

caveman0777 said:

I think its the opposite way around. Freshwater fish all look like the same thing. Also, they all look like a fish I could catch outside in a pond.

Jake337 said:
I think its the opposite way around. Freshwater fish all look like the same thing. Also, they all look like a fish I could catch outside in a pond.

I disagree. Have you ever seen rams or african cichlids? Some cichlids are just as colorful, if not more colorful than sw fish

But i do agree that sw fish are more colorful, more variety. Just not the fact that all fw fish look the same and could be caught in local ponds

Jake337 said:

No way! Google discus. I rest my case.

Or German blue rams. And gouramis.

African cichlids were descended from a kind of wrasse which I don't think any cichlid anywhere can compete with say a leopard wrasse, Christmas wrasse or how bout the colors on dragonettes.. SW has a much larger selection just not as readily available. Fish and corals of the same species can differ from reef to reef. There are even seahorses that evolve to mimic a specific gorgonia perfectly and new ones are found frequently as the gorgonias change. Don't forget everything came from the ocean at one point :)

I could say the same thing about SW fish, but I guess its because I grew up on the gulf coast and spent much of my time in the water. I think that's one reason I'm not too interested in keeping SW fish. SW tanks are the rage here also so it seems like everyone has one.

There are tons of uncommon/rare FW fish out there that are making their way into the hobby, so you can easily do a tank unlike anyone elses if you make your way past the big box store when you are stocking. I guess the same could be said for SW as well, but the price tag is much higher.

That's my other issue with SW, I don't like the investment cost. Water changes cost a lot more, there's more equipment to be had, and the stock is generally much more expensive. I also like the breeding aspect of FW fish, and I know it can be done with SW but it's definitely a different ballgame.

I like having lots of tanks and I think if I went all SW I'd only have a couple because I'm not into investing thousands into fish tanks.

We still might do a SW nano one day but it's not on my plate at the moment.

paytertot said:
No way! Google discus. I rest my case.

Or German blue rams. And gouramis.

George9 said:
I disagree. Have you ever seen rams or african cichlids? Some cichlids are just as colorful, if not more colorful than sw fish

But i do agree that sw fish are more colorful, more variety. Just not the fact that all fw fish look the same and could be caught in local ponds

No way guys! If i walk into a sw section..literally every fish i see if more colorful/just as colorful as any fw fish around. Seriously! The lamest of sw fish, like say a yellow tail damsel, would be a sweet fw fish! The standards are just higher.

Plus, lets just say a discus is 50$ okay? Thats expensive in sw (for me). The most ive payed for a sw fish is 60. I could get a 20 dollar fish like my chalk bass that has all the colors of a discus..

No way guys! If i walk into a sw section..literally every fish i see if more colorful/just as colorful as any fw fish around. Seriously! The lamest of sw fish, like say a yellow tail damsel, would be a sweet fw fish! The standards are just higher.

Plus, lets just say a discus is 50$ okay? Thats expensive in sw (for me). The most ive payed for a sw fish is 60. I could get a 20 dollar fish like my chalk bass that has all the colors of a discus..

Not everyone wants the most colorful fish either. There are plenty of people who have to have the wildest craziest colors in FW but they usually veer towards glofish and flowerhorns. I do agree that SW fish in stores are generally much more colorful compared to FW though. I would expect them to since there's a heck of a lot more SW than there is FW on earth, lol.

And SW fish cost a lot more than FW fish do, in general. You may not pay a lot for yours but overall they do and they always will until you have successful hobbyist breeders and large scale farms pushing the prices down.

Last edited:
jetajockey said:
Not everyone wants the most colorful fish either. There are plenty of people who have to have the wildest craziest colors in FW but they usually veer towards glofish and flowerhorns.

And SW fish cost a lot more than FW fish do, in general. You may not pay a lot for yours but overall they do and they always will until you have successful hobbyist breeders and large scale farms pushing the prices down.

Who wouldnt want more color? It one thing is you like natives, its unique. But the average joe wants activity and color right?

Oh totally. Its just that some of the most colorful fw fish, which are considered the prettiest, can compare to the looks of cheaper saltwater fish. Thats why i used the example of the discus to the chalk. Theres no way sw fish will ever be cheap though..;)

Why does it always have to be one against the other? They're two entirely different setups, each with their own pros and cons. If you don't like sw, don't set up a sw tank... if you don't like fw, don't set up a fw tank. Easy.

Back
Top Bottom