I love my work...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toirtis

God of primitive fishes
Aside from my real job, I help my friend out at his aquarium shop/wholesale business a couple-three times each week, and tonight, after delivering fish to a bunch of shops, I got to stop by the airport and pick-up and unpack our most recent order of Asian arowanas...some super nice AA grade fish...just a pleasure to work with (and only $2000-$5000/fish LOL)...and then I got to play with the new '5' series Fluval canister filters that just arrived...I love it when work is more like play....plus working at the shop helps feed my habit. ;)

Nice to see you around Christian! I am not suprised by your side "job". Always will be a fishaholic. :ROFLMAO:

Awesome! Lucky you. Did you get any arowana pics? How big were they?

I just saw your Alberta Reptile Adoption site- wish I had the space and right environment to take one of the less adoptable iguanas. But I was wondering, can any of the aquatic turtles live in an outdoor pond in Vancouver? I noticed on the pond forum that some people on the US west coast had them. We are thinking of putting in a small pond. I imagine that it might be too small, too cold, or too urban (would just be in a regular backyard) for a turtle. But if not I would love to adopt turtles.

severum mama said:
Awesome! Lucky you. Did you get any arowana pics? How big were they?

No pics yet, but they were all about 8"-10".

Elle2 said:
But I was wondering, can any of the aquatic turtles live in an outdoor pond in Vancouver?

If the pond has a nutural bottom and is deep enough (36"+), yes....go check out Deer Lake south of Heritage Village in Burnaby...last time I was there, there were painted turtles, red-eared sliders, yellow-bellied sliders, map tutles, and even a couple of softshells living in it....and only the painted turtles are natives.

Thanks- I will check it out! I didn't even know we could make a pond with a natural bottom- will definitely look into this. What would keep the turtles from just wondering away?

I would go with a fence....and since you are in Vancouver, you will need some sort of defense against raccoons (who think turtles make nice sandwiches).

who think turtles make nice sandwiches
Mmmmmm turtle sandwiches! Although, they might be more like a turtle pita-pocket.

Glad to see you're still playing (I mean working ;)) at the LFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom