I need a new camera!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GhostKnife

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well my girlfriend dropped my camera and the lens stuck out. Its a little outdated and I want to purchase a new one. I figure the money put into fixing it if at all possible would be better off putting towards a new one. If you could tell me what cameras you are using and what you like about them and the settings you use to capture images in your tank and other places. Basically give me a likes and dislikes short list about your cameras it would be sweet.

Sorry about your camera. I also had a nice camera that broke (eventually the screen became dimmer and dimmer) but I agree, it isn't worth putting the money in to fix them when there are always new models with more features.

The first digital camera I used was a Sony. It was the kind where you put a floppy disk in it! That's hard to imagine now. But I was happy with the ease of use of that Sony and now I'm on my third Sony digital camera. Right now I have a Sony DSC-H9. This model is referred to as an advanced point-and-shoot because you can let the camera do all the work or you can adjust a lot of the settings yourself. I like it because it has a zoom lens, it can be set to aperture priority (my favorite setting) or you can use the shutter priority or the auto setting. Using the aperture priority with exposure compensation, I can get just about any shot I want. The camera also takes pretty good videos too. It's small and lightweight. I can take it on a hike without getting tired of carrying it around.

I would suggest going to Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ to check out features of various cameras. In the left column you can click on a buying guide (I suggest starting out with the Features Search), a side-by-side comparison of different camera's features, a list of cameras available by brand, and reviews and owner's comments.

I love my Sony as well. Still learning to take photos of aquariums...
Mine don't come out so good yet, but it sure as heck isn't the cameras fault.

My last camera was a Sony but someone stole it.
It came with a rechargeable battery and would run a long time on it.
My new one came with no rechargeable battery and eats AA's for lunch.
But I did buy rechargeable AA's. I have 6 of them, and they usually will make it through 3 or 4 hours of heavy shooting and video taking.

The picture quality is great, the price is really reasonable on Sony's.
And here is the big plus for me. The optical zoom is usually 10x or more on Sony Cameras. Other cameras at a comparable price usually only have 3x optical.

I usually ignore digital zoom, because most photo software can do the job better.

I have an older model, but this is the style/class.

http://www.officemax.com/technology/digital-cameras-camcorders/digital-cameras/product-prod570303?history=wt8rgosw|categoryId~10004^categoryName~Technology^parentCategoryID~category_root^prodPage~25^region~1@lj2l0y3x|categoryId~401^categoryName~Digital+Cameras+%26+Camcorders^parentCategoryID~cat_10004^prodPage~25^region~1^refine~1@ovg9mx6r|prodPage~15^refine~1^region~1^categoryName~digital-cameras^categoryId~441^parentCategoryID~cat_401@xyh8nem4|refineName~Brand^prodPage~15^refine~1^sub_attr_name~1^region~1^refineValue~Sony

Give me your price range before I give you any advice. I personally shoot a Canon 30D with an assortment of lens. I probably have 2500 dollars tied up into the camera at the moment. I don't think you are willing to spend quite that much.

Price range is a definite consideration. I love our Nikon D40 for the under $500 price range. Lenses are a different story, but the macro mode isn't bad at all (now that the wife taught me to use it lol).

I find the Canon powershots all do quite well for a good price. Their macro setting deals well with shooting small subjects through glass.

I use a Panasonic TZ-5, and love it, i had a Nikon D60 and it was an awesome camera, took excellent pics but it was big and i was afraid of hurting it, so i sold it and got the Panasonic, haven't looked back, it takes excellent pics and excellent video, i use it for everything, even got an underwater housing for it so i can take pics while on the jetski and snorkaling. ive owned it for about 9 months and have absolutly nothing bad to say about it.

I like the Sony's as well, I have the sony DCS H50, it has a 15X zoom and all the manual settings as well as being a point and shot. I've taken shots of the moon with it, that come out clear and can even see the craters in the moon. Price right now is under 400.00

I have a Nikon D80 now and love it. But if you aren't wanting to spend that much, a Canon S5 IS is a good camera...its an advanced point and shoot and has a great zoom. I took alot of pretty good pics with it.

Back
Top Bottom