Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-12-2019, 05:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I need help on my mollies...

So I bought around 15 new fish (plattys, mollies, gouramis) after upgrading out tank to a 300L one... after a couple days we found 1 baby swimming about... I went out and bought a breeding box and put it in there... after a few days we managed to find 3 all together but unfortunately they died about 4 days in 😩 Iíve currently noticed changes in one of my mollies so Iíve done the whole google search and think she may be pregnant I also know about the fish going into a sort of square shape when there ready to go into labour so Iíve put her in the breeding box just incase... can someone please tell me if Iím just imagining that sheís pregnant or boxed shape please? & maybe give me advice on what I can do...
Thankyou in advance... Reeree 💜
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4C648CD2-8F93-4EA5-9278-2F55FB7934DE.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	314429   Click image for larger version

Name:	82C7F51A-A620-45BB-9462-9B2A9FB373B2.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	214.0 KB
ID:	314430  

Old 11-12-2019, 05:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just let my Platys birth in the tank . I figure that way the strongest , smartest fry will make it to adulthood and I think putting the mom in a breeder box will stress her and she will abort the lot , or withhold till a better time . Just my 2 cents .

Old 11-12-2019, 06:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't use a breeder box for my livebearers. As long as you have plenty of plants/hiding spots there will be survivors.
Old 11-13-2019, 03:16 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Is this enough plant life for them to hide if I left them in the tank... I get very worried about things like this broke my heart when they died 😩
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6583F751-5D0E-4F7E-B7BC-6D4BBBE4F013.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	254.9 KB
ID:	314436  
Old 11-13-2019, 02:10 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I find babies that I separate into breeder boxes rarely survive and mothers kept in them tend to eat the majority of their young before I see they've dropped the fry
It takes multiple feedings of FRY food and making sure the water in the box staya clean so no over feeding, thats too much fiddling for me. Now I let the mother stay in the community tank and fish the babies out to a dedicated fry tank if I happen to see any before they become snacks.
If you only want plastic plants in your tank I'd get some taller ones that reach the top of the water as the fry seem to prefer it there.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you don't want live plants , try to make one of these to float on top of water and the fry will hide among it and eat the micro organisms that will grow there.......

Solid Gold: Easy DIY Spawning Mops
Old 11-18-2019, 05:29 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have a 55 gal molly tank with guppys. I get tons of babys i give away or to my fish store. Some nice ones i keep for breeding. I have plastic and live plants i like to mix them in.

I never use a breeder box all my babys died i think it stresses them out. You need alot more plants. Try to get some live ones.

Mine started breeding like wild once i did and the babys hide as well as eat some of the water weeds i float. And i have moss for them to hide in. I hope you try some more plants and some live ones too.

Tags
breeding, fry, mollie, mollies

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com