Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-27-2012, 12:38 AM   #11
come get me tang police!

I can give you a few basics. First, most LFS utilize one of the major fish farms. I've worked with segrest farms a bit and once you have a brick and mortar store they basically give you access to their stock list, you fill out an order and they send it to you. The most common markup is ~300%, but it can vary from market to market, you just need to get a feel for what things cost around your area to know how to tweak this. Also figure out if there are any clubs/home breeders in your relative area as this is another potential source for stock (check the laws of course).

Figure out a hole in the market in your area and fill it. Get to know your product in and out, use the internet to understand what sells, and find the balance between popular and feasible. I suggest finding a niche that you love, and finally, put your as much of your life into it as you can, as your end result will be dictated by the effort and love put into building it.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:20 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey
I can give you a few basics. First, most LFS utilize one of the major fish farms. I've worked with segrest farms a bit and once you have a brick and mortar store they basically give you access to their stock list, you fill out an order and they send it to you. The most common markup is ~300%, but it can vary from market to market, you just need to get a feel for what things cost around your area to know how to tweak this. Also figure out if there are any clubs/home breeders in your relative area as this is another potential source for stock (check the laws of course).

Figure out a hole in the market in your area and fill it. Get to know your product in and out, use the internet to understand what sells, and find the balance between popular and feasible. I suggest finding a niche that you love, and finally, put your as much of your life into it as you can, as your end result will be dictated by the effort and love put into building it.
Very well said!

Old 04-27-2012, 05:19 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Something else to think about is shipping. There are several sites on the web now that you can simply click and have your fish sent to you. This could be a road to go down maybe??? There is a ship here in the uk that is to far for me to visit. But most product they sell can be found on his eBay shop. Of course the price is a little higher but the postage is usually free.

If you choose to post fish out think about your returns policy d.o.a etc. as there will be cost that you will incur if things go wrong. As people will most defiantly try it on!!!!!

Obviously a web page is a cost to think about.

To be honest if you have the room at home, you could make just as much money, breeding and selling your own fish. Either by posting out or having people come buy from you. This way you don't have the overheads.

I found a chap here in the uk that can get fish from aquabeek and Czech breeders for a couple of euros each. A fraction of the cost of lfs. If I had the time it would be easy to buy a few hundred pounds of fish, just to sell locally or on eBay. This might be a good starting point as you have less to loose, can build up a rep, with low overheads. Once you get established you can then move to bigger shop.

I tend to only go to shops I know, and know are good. and stick to theses few. I've popped into new shop to see what's in offer but tend not to go back.

Also theses days with less money about its easy to buy fish from local breeders cheap, and a lot of fish clubs hold auctions were fish sell really cheap. I just went to one and two massive wild caught from jeff rapps ( not sure what they were) but were south American cichlids I think) breeding pair went for 10 the pair!!! Breeding pair of oscars about 10 inches each 6 the pair!!!

So I would say this is your biggest completion.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:40 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks guys! Useful info! Keep it coming!
Old 04-28-2012, 01:40 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukdans1k
Something else to think about is shipping. There are several sites on the web now that you can simply click and have your fish sent to you. This could be a road to go down maybe??? There is a ship here in the uk that is to far for me to visit. But most product they sell can be found on his eBay shop. Of course the price is a little higher but the postage is usually free.

If you choose to post fish out think about your returns policy d.o.a etc. as there will be cost that you will incur if things go wrong. As people will most defiantly try it on!!!!!

Obviously a web page is a cost to think about.

To be honest if you have the room at home, you could make just as much money, breeding and selling your own fish. Either by posting out or having people come buy from you. This way you don't have the overheads.

I found a chap here in the uk that can get fish from aquabeek and Czech breeders for a couple of euros each. A fraction of the cost of lfs. If I had the time it would be easy to buy a few hundred pounds of fish, just to sell locally or on eBay. This might be a good starting point as you have less to loose, can build up a rep, with low overheads. Once you get established you can then move to bigger shop.

I tend to only go to shops I know, and know are good. and stick to theses few. I've popped into new shop to see what's in offer but tend not to go back.

Also theses days with less money about its easy to buy fish from local breeders cheap, and a lot of fish clubs hold auctions were fish sell really cheap. I just went to one and two massive wild caught from jeff rapps ( not sure what they were) but were south American cichlids i think) breeding pair went for 10 the pair!!! Breeding pair of oscars about 10 inches each 6 the pair!!!

So I would say this is your biggest completion.
For example this Brian's tropicals. All of his stuff is in his basement. Here is his website ("rich hipsters" was hiiiilaaarious BTW. Totally Seattle lol)

http://www.brianstropicals.com/
Old 04-28-2012, 03:18 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Chris I hate to break it to you but there are tons of well established LFS is Seattle ( example: http://www.thefishstoreseattle.com/ ) that have been around for years and I think you'll have a hell of a time breaking into this niche.

There has been members of the Greater Seattle Aquarium Society ( GSAS) that opened their own store and shortly there after went bankrupt. Your best bet is to buy an already established store or to start some sort of Internet based operation that's based out of your home.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:03 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcal01

For example this Brian's tropicals. All of his stuff is in his basement. Here is his website ("rich hipsters" was hiiiilaaarious BTW. Totally Seattle lol)

http://www.brianstropicals.com/
Sweet! I was actually thinking I should go the basement rout to establish a business. Good to see someone has made a successful go at it. I'm still in the process of basement shopping.

The store is not something I want to rush into. I'm gathering all the info I can for now. It's still in the concept stage. Hopefully no one steals my spot in the next few years. The rich hipster market is perfect!
Old 05-01-2012, 12:12 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Basement/fish room with Internet sales is really the best way start out, IMO.

What types of fish were you thinking of starting out with?
Old 05-01-2012, 12:19 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogurako
Chris I hate to break it to you but there are tons of well established LFS is Seattle ( example: http://www.thefishstoreseattle.com/ ) that have been around for years and I think you'll have a hell of a time breaking into this niche.

There has been members of the Greater Seattle Aquarium Society ( GSAS) that opened their own store and shortly there after went bankrupt. Your best bet is to buy an already established store or to start some sort of Internet based operation that's based out of your home.
"the fish store" is the one I mentioned as my favorite. That one would really be the only competition for the area I'm looking at. If you're familiar with Seattle then you know that close doesn't really mean anything. Some areas are just a hassle to get to from other areas which is actually great for businesses as they can be located close to competition and still have their own "easy access" radius. Seattle City Planning... pshhh. I think our street system was planned as a connect the dots puzzle.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:24 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IchthyChris

"I think our street system was planned as a connect the dots puzzle.
Haha yea I think it was, I hate going downtown. I think you do have a fairly good point about the radius of easy access.

Tags
lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com