I was at petsmart today again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was at petsmart today again( found baby painted turtle on road, went to buy supplies, found it was illegal, released it lol) and I was just looking around the tanks when I look in the Oscar tank and what do I find? A half dead Oscar in the corner with a bunch of gravel covering it. I'm sure an employee tried to hide it or something I've seen them cover up dead fish with rocks before. I also saw an adorable young yellow lab maybe a inch long and I wanted it sooo badly but there's no tank for it
There were also lots of baby black moors maybe an inch long that I wanted too lol

I was at petsmart today again( found baby painted turtle on road, went to buy supplies, found it was illegal, released it lol) and I was just looking around the tanks when I look in the Oscar tank and what do I find? A half dead Oscar in the corner with a bunch of gravel covering it. I'm sure an employee tried to hide it or something I've seen them cover up dead fish with rocks before. I also saw an adorable young yellow lab maybe a inch long and I wanted it sooo badly but there's no tank for it
There were also lots of baby black moors maybe an inch long that I wanted too lol
Believe it or not, fish stores often have dead fish in them. Its inevitable when you have hundreds of fish in captivity. Some places can definitely do better about checking and removing the dead.

I think its a huge stretch (conspiracy?) to think that an employee tried to cover it with gravel. What would be the point? It's a lot less work just to scoop it out and dispose of it.

It'd be even easier to just let it float around in the tank, which seems to be the common plan at chain stores around here.

Yeah I've seen lots of the whole dead fish floating and on filter and on gravel and buries in gravel with fins sticking out

absolutangel04 said:
You have seen employees burying fish?
No
It is really weird- I have heard they don't remove dead fish because they need to inventory so maybe they don't want customers to see them
I feel so bad for that Oscar
It was very pretty and I don't like oscars
It was a rather big hunk of rock on it so I doubt the other fish put it there

I am sorry, but I really don't think you should be making accusations like that about a store, especially based on hear-say.

absolutangel04 said:
I am sorry, but I really don't think you should be making accusations like that about a store, especially based on hear-say.

Then you can close the thread.

I can tell you for a fact that is not policy. Itd be a waste of time to bury it. I've seen fish half buried before, but that's usually because an employee goes to scoop up another fish and pushes the gravel around. We are to remove deads immediately and relocate sick fish to the iso tank in the back. Inventory comes be counting the live fish we have...

Talvari said:
I can tell you for a fact that is not policy. Itd be a waste of time to bury it. I've seen fish half buried before, but that's usually because an employee goes to scoop up another fish and pushes the gravel around. We are to remove deads immediately and relocate sick fish to the iso tank in the back. Inventory comes be counting the live fish we have...

Ahhh, okay. I still feel bad for the Oscar. Mods close please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom