Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-15-2005, 11:37 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I commend everyone for keeping a civilized attitude with this discussion. Let us please make sure that it does not deteriorate into flame wars and finger pointing and the race issue.
Thanks you for your co-operation.

Old 09-15-2005, 12:05 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

I think Kanye is feeling his oats these days with all the sudden noteriety, fame and money. As said before, he and every other extremist (as he is in this case) has a right to their opinion.

I am black, and I couldn't help but noticing this disaster (as a whole) was all about class, not race - even before it became popular to say. Black leaders playing the race card is what they do. Christian leaders do what they do and play their cards. There are more, but just offered those 2 as examples. I am one to feel that almost any extremist can find something to support their position when they need it. That's what they do.

People are people. There are extremists, racists, and just plain old stupid people. They say things. Sometimes (or more) they have valid points too, but we need to look past that and focus our energies on the task at hand - working to make this country whole and proud of the way we ultimately will be viewed on how we handle this crisis.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Old 09-15-2005, 12:12 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
well maybe they should quit playing cards! Get off their collective rears and do what needs to be done.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:23 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hara
well maybe they should quit playing cards! Get off their collective rears and do what needs to be done.
I blame the media. There are many wise black leaders and there are many wise christian leaders. There are many wise black christian leaders. There are wise leaders in almost any group. The media chooses to put the "extreme" ones on TV. The media loves to get soundbites that inflame and instigate because, I'm guessing, they feel it makes TV more exciting. The networks seem to prefer squabbling vs problem solving. They don't want to show people who are ready and willing to work together. They want to show people divided. They present the image that Americans are so divided that we can no longer see eye to eye on anything. And I don't believe that is really true.

Now the media can't be blamed for Kanye Wests comment. But he is a young guy who made a stupid statement, or at the very least a statement that was made at the wrong time in the worst place. But who really cares? The media made way too much of his comment and replayed it over and over again. Kanye is not a politican or leader of any kind. He is an entertainer. He will probably regret his statement when he is older and it is all he is remembered for. I doubt anyone was insulted enough to not donate money because of his statement and if they were shame on them.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:32 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

I think you hit the nail on the head T-lou. Controversy sells. People working together is boring to them. I'm one that get's choked up (yes, really almost to tears) when I see little white and black kids holding hands, sharing ice cream. or playing together - of course long before they're TAUGHT how to discriminate.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Old 09-15-2005, 01:44 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to deli_conker
Quote:
I doubt anyone was insulted enough to not donate money because of his statement and if they were shame on them.
I heard on a local news station after it happened (his statements) that people called back in and cancelled pledges. I don't know how accurate or how many people, but the fact that at least one did is kinda scary.

The big problem I see is all the finger pointing. You only see that when somebody knows that they dropped the ball. The feds were ready, they needed/were waiting in the orders from the state and local governments. When a football team that has a bad season, they fire the coach. His ability to coach a team can't make up for lack of talent on the team, but it's blamed on him regardless. Same thing is going on with the feds. It's a sad thing to watch somebody take the blame for somebody elses incompetence.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:30 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Skyrmir Send a message via AIM to Skyrmir
http://mgno.com/

That guy has been in NO the whole time posting to his blog with a webcam running and taking pictures. From what I've read he was the ONLY internet connection running in town for the whole duration. It's a good source of information for what was going on in his local area and somewhat for Orleans as a whole.

There's not much else I could say about it without getting WAY to political for an aquarium forum. 8)
Old 09-16-2005, 09:08 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to deli_conker
That's a good find. I'm going to take some time and read it.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com