I would run if I saw this...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad everybody found the link interesting. Those things are quite scary. It's a good thing they don't have it in for humans...

From what it looked like to me, the hornet's weren't using any venom to kill the bees. They're using pure brute force. If you watch in the begining of the video, the first strike they come in and literally bite the bee in half. That's how they are able to keep going for hours. If they were using a venom they would run out eventually. They're just biting these bees to pieces and moving on to the next one.

A very brutal lesson in life.

BillyZ said:
From what it looked like to me, the hornet's weren't using any venom to kill the bees. They're using pure brute force. If you watch in the begining of the video, the first strike they come in and literally bite the bee in half. That's how they are able to keep going for hours. If they were using a venom they would run out eventually. They're just biting these bees to pieces and moving on to the next one.

A very brutal lesson in life.
Pretty much, yeah. I was wondering how many hornets got killed in the 'assault'. There had to be a few. Thing is, honeybees die after they successfully sting something. So the ones that did get a piece in on the hornets still bit the dust.

Here is something that I read somewhere. I can't vouche for authenticity, but it does kinda make sense...

"The Japanese honeybees actually have a defense for these hornets. When the scout hornet is detected by Japanese honeybees, the honeybees will swarm the scout before it can land on the hive and mark it with a pheromone. The Japanese bees surround the scout in huge number and form a tight ball around it. The bees will generate a lot of heat in a tight ball, thereby killing the scout. The bees have a much higher temperature threshold than the hornets do."

Toirtis said:
Just what the Southern US needs....an invasion of these wasps and some bullet ants. :p
I heard that's what Canada was looking for. Don't you want to see those when you walk out the front door?

deli_conker said:
Toirtis said:
Just what the Southern US needs....an invasion of these wasps and some bullet ants. :p
I heard that's what Canada was looking for. Don't you want to see those when you walk out the front door?

One reason its nice to live here in Calgary...those -40ºF winter days make sure we don't have nasty things like those...or fire ants, Africanised bees, etc.. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom