Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-17-2005, 09:11 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to deli_conker
I would run if I saw this...

...screaming like a little girl, that is. Don't fool Mother Nature, she might send these guys after you.

30 vs. 30,000. Amazing.

It's a little old, but I hadn't heard of it until today.
Video
Article

Old 06-17-2005, 09:22 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

*gasp*

Thats amazing.... the sound effects are awful... well, great... but they humanize it too much... (women screaming) it kept me rivited to my seat...

Old 06-17-2005, 09:58 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

That was amazing. 8O
Old 06-17-2005, 10:07 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
thats so sad i felt really bad for the smaller bees
Old 06-17-2005, 10:16 AM   #5
zacdl

I cant see the video, for some reason WMP has not been playing much of anything.

Old 06-17-2005, 12:12 PM   #6

That was amazing! Mother Nature is a cruel mistress.

I wonder how those hornets would do against a colony of Africanized honey bees (known as Killer Bees)? My wild guess is the hornets would still win, but more hornets would be killed.

I also found this to be very interesting, quoted from the article:

"Adult hornets feed their young by chewing the flesh of their victims into a gooey paste that the offspring devour. The larvae are well fed, and in turn provide the adults with a powerful energy-boosting cocktail in their saliva.

It's called vespa amino acid mixture, or VAAM. Regular doses of VAAM from the larvae give giant hornets their incredible stamina and energy—when pursuing prey, they can travel a range of 60 miles (96 kilometers) at speeds reaching 25 miles per hour.

The incredible effects of VAAM have not gone unnoticed in Japan: The country's latest sports drink is based on this "hornet power." It contains a synthetic form of components in the hornet larval saliva, which is touted as performance-boosting. Japanese gold medalist and world-record marathon runner Naoko Takahashi declared that VAAM gave her an edge in the Olympic Games held in Sydney, Australia."

This VAAM sounds pretty interesting, worthy of scientific study.

Old 06-17-2005, 12:17 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, the sound effects were a little much, but they were very well placed. The honey bees were imported and have no natural defense against them.

Could you imagine being the bee keeper who came across this a couple of hours later?
Old 06-17-2005, 12:20 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I wonder how those hornets would do against a colony of Africanized honey bees (known as Killer Bees)? My wild guess is the hornets would still win, but more hornets would be killed.
Those hornets would tear the killer bees up just as much. I read somewhere (can't vouche for accuracy) that the reason killer bees are called that is because they are more aggressive and their sting contains a pheromone that 'tells' the others where/what to sting. Almost like tagging a missile target with a laser. That wouldn't improve the bees chances at all.

I'm in awe of the numbers though...
1000:1
Old 06-17-2005, 12:29 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wow, that is pretty spectacular! So sad though.

Vote here for Aquarium Advice.

55 gal
2 gold dojo loaches
3 white tetras
4 zebra danios
3 neon tetras
1 pleco
2 ADFs
Old 06-17-2005, 12:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Those hornets would tear the killer bees up just as much. I read somewhere (can't vouche for accuracy) that the reason killer bees are called that is because they are more aggressive and their sting contains a pheromone that 'tells' the others where/what to sting. Almost like tagging a missile target with a laser. That wouldn't improve the bees chances at all.
Makes sense to me. I knew the killer bees were more aggro, but thought their sting was more powerful also. If their sting is equal to a regular honey bee, you're right, the results would be the same.

I just hope that no one is ever stupid enough to export those hornets Anywhere! 8O
My earlier comment about studying the hornet's VAAM substance, do the studies in Japan!

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com