Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-16-2011, 05:41 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort384 View Post
I think this is an intriguing philosophical question... we advocate against inhumane treatment of fish all the time (fishless cycling, responsible euthanasia, water changes)... but then we advocate smushing snails with tweezers, injecting aptasia with lemon juice, etc. The live food thing is a little different... at least that is a natural thing. But you are right. It makes me think.
Indeed. Do you think it has to do with the fishes' capacity to feel pain?

Old 06-16-2011, 05:46 PM   #12
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

What if nems feel pain too? How do we know snails don't feel pain as their shell is crushed in to their slimy little body? Don't you feel terrible about crushing snails now? I know I would.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:50 PM   #13
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

LOL. I am not sure if it really involves the feeling of pain for me personally. Don't get me wrong, I am not advocating for the saving of snails and other pests, but it does present a philosophical dilemma of sorts.
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:50 PM   #14
come get me tang police!

It's definitely a conundrum. If you really think about it, the act of fishkeeping in itself is for our own pleasure first and foremost.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:51 PM   #15
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

By the way, my comment was not meant in a mean way... more of a 'giving you a hard time' type of comment.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
Old 06-16-2011, 05:51 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've always felt bad about crushing snails, but I did feel that it was more humane than using a snail killing chemical...

I didn't start this thread to get on anyone, as I would be a hypocrite if I did...but mfd is right... the snails and the anemones might feel pain too.

If that's the case, then mfd, would you allow your tank to be infested if you had a saltwater tank? And how is treating parasites different, just out of curiosity?
Old 06-16-2011, 05:55 PM   #17
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

No, I wouldn't. Just like I have no bad feelings about killing pest insects like wasps, ants, etc... I don't go killing butterflies or pretty songbirds, but I'll kill blackbirds if they start picking in the garden. It's just life. I dont kill snails, because I find them beneficial, but I dont knock anybody for doing so.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:00 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's not fair, but you're right--it's life. Every time I feed my glass catfish live brine shrimp I'm making that decision.

I guess I'm okay with that, though.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:02 PM   #19
come get me tang police!

i dont like smashing snails because its kinda icky. I can step on a small bug, but not something crunchy like a beetle, lol.

It's not much different than when I go out collecting natives. I bring a fishing pole with me most of the time, and sometimes I even catch something worth bringing home for the dinner table. The only difference between the fish I'm putting in the live well and the ones I'm putting in the cooler is that I see one type as food rather than a pet.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:18 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

i dont kill snails in my tank,the shrimp and cray do that for me.they get live food,i dont get overrun,perfect system.

Tags
aiptasia, anenome

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com