Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-25-2014, 02:45 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Great ideas everyone! I would have a separate tank for fry just for people to see how great it is when you have fish that are happy enough to breed.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:56 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittykat364 View Post
Great ideas everyone! I would have a separate tank for fry just for people to see how great it is when you have fish that are happy enough to breed.

Yes I went pets at home and the most interesting thing there was the Molly fry in the tank.

Old 03-25-2014, 03:00 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah I have a Molly fry now she's so cute she runs up to the tank every time I come over. She's definitely happy and I want people to see what a joy it is to have a happy fish.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:07 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would probably go broke creating display tanks! Wholesale prices on tanks, fish, plants, and supplies would be too tempting!
Id try to put a few computers/tablets in with AQAdvisor, for customers to use after seeing fish they like. Not sure if this would be beneficial at all but it would be piece of mind for the employees/customers to check on something they weren't sure about! In a perfect world they'd do research before they came in, and my associates would all be marine biologists and ok with the lfs wages(then id wake up and see that employee that is 1 lip ring short of piercing them self shut...).
Old 03-25-2014, 06:57 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Run a couple guppy breeding tanks and lower fish prices as the amount of fish bought increased.

EX: 1 neon tetra- $1
5 neon tetras- 85 cents each
10 neon tetras- 75 cents each
Breeding guppies, cherry shrimp and assorted plants
Nortzy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:38 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nortzy21 View Post
Run a couple guppy breeding tanks and lower fish prices as the amount of fish bought increased.

EX: 1 neon tetra- $1
5 neon tetras- 85 cents each
10 neon tetras- 75 cents each
Yeah, I love the threshold pricing, glad my lfs does it!
Old 03-25-2014, 07:42 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
If I owned an LFS I would.......

Close it down and get into a new line of work, because I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing I am directly and indirectly killing tons of living creatures each year.

Folks...you are dreaming, and dreaming is fine, but please see things for what they are- This hobby attracts people to it on a regular basis. most of which, don't have a clue and completely stock 2 day old tanks, buy sensitive creatures they know nothing about, dump in unnecessary products without testing...and the list goes on.
Besides all of that though, right now there are many people, all over the world, who's sole job is to capture innocent creatures by any means necessary and then mail them to you, so you can fill your stores, and in turn, sell them to people who can't take care of them. I know you are thinking "I wouldn't do that though", but you'll have to do that if you want to feed your family.
Being in the retail business myself for a few years, you would not believe the things that are on stock lists. Creatures we have no way of taking care of long term, and some times short term even. Creatures that have been sentenced to death in the name of human amusement.

Some are making attempts to captive breed fish and inverts, but most cannot be bred in captivity thus far. And even if they could, would it be any better if we knew they were not going to live out their lives?
Old 03-25-2014, 07:55 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post

Close it down and get into a new line of work, because I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing I am directly and indirectly killing tons of living creatures each year.

Folks...you are dreaming, and dreaming is fine, but please see things for what they are- This hobby attracts people to it on a regular basis. most of which, don't have a clue and completely stock 2 day old tanks, buy sensitive creatures they know nothing about, dump in unnecessary products without testing...and the list goes on.
Besides all of that though, right now there are many people, all over the world, who's sole job is to capture innocent creatures by any means necessary and then mail them to you, so you can fill your stores, and in turn, sell them to people who can't take care of them. I know you are thinking "I wouldn't do that though", but you'll have to do that if you want to feed your family.
Being in the retail business myself for a few years, you would not believe the things that are on stock lists. Creatures we have no way of taking care of long term, and some times short term even. Creatures that have been sentenced to death in the name of human amusement.

Some are making attempts to captive breed fish and inverts, but most cannot be bred in captivity thus far. And even if they could, would it be any better if we knew they were not going to live out their lives?
Brilliant. Could not be more true.
Breeding guppies, cherry shrimp and assorted plants
Nortzy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:14 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Sad but very true....
Old 03-25-2014, 08:17 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:

Agree, but it's still fun to dream (:

Tags
lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com