If I owned an LFS I would.......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If I owned an LFS I would.......

Close it down and get into a new line of work, because I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing I am directly and indirectly killing tons of living creatures each year.

Folks...you are dreaming, and dreaming is fine, but please see things for what they are- This hobby attracts people to it on a regular basis. most of which, don't have a clue and completely stock 2 day old tanks, buy sensitive creatures they know nothing about, dump in unnecessary products without testing...and the list goes on.
Besides all of that though, right now there are many people, all over the world, who's sole job is to capture innocent creatures by any means necessary and then mail them to you, so you can fill your stores, and in turn, sell them to people who can't take care of them. I know you are thinking "I wouldn't do that though", but you'll have to do that if you want to feed your family.
Being in the retail business myself for a few years, you would not believe the things that are on stock lists. Creatures we have no way of taking care of long term, and some times short term even. Creatures that have been sentenced to death in the name of human amusement.

Some are making attempts to captive breed fish and inverts, but most cannot be bred in captivity thus far. And even if they could, would it be any better if we knew they were not going to live out their lives?

Mr X do you keep fish?

They don't hunt or capture fish that people wont pay for... Therefore, by your logic if you own a tank, your apart of that problem also. I do agree with what your saying but it seems like an odd place to make that point, on a hobby vendor sponsored website that most people turn to, to better care for their fish, or help others to do so...

I do believe mr x is referring more to the salt water end of the spectrum .. Even still .. Truth is truth:/ otos?

way to buzzkill a thread that was supposed to be for fun =|

I don't think anyone was starting a fish store, i think it was just something fun to talk about...

My Lfs guy gave me some free , super high end fry food today for free because he wanted them to grow up all healthy and such!! That's fun:) I'd do that too!

.... have to sack myself for watching the fish all day and working on display tanks lol.

Actually it could be something in retirement for 10 years when family are grown and making money as a business isn't so critical :)

Provide an "all-about-this-fish" poster beside the displayed tanks!
Even a poster guide about cycling :D
I want to educate every customer I'll have. I think people would really love aquarium keeping tenfolds if they learn more about it :)

Provide an "all-about-this-fish" poster beside the displayed tanks!
Even a poster guide about cycling :D
I want to educate every customer I'll have. I think people would really love aquarium keeping tenfolds if they learn more about it :)

Lol no worries. But you didn't say what you would do if you owned an LFS?
I really like the tablet idea for checking stock/equipment/plants. My LFS has a deal buy 4 fish, get a fifth free. I'd also give everyone on AA a permanent 10% discount!!!!

Mr X do you keep fish?
Yes. Every day I fight with the idea of giving it up. I actually sold my 300 in wall before Christmas, and my GF, being as thoughtful as she is, decided to give me a new tank.

They don't hunt or capture fish that people wont pay for... Therefore, by your logic if you own a tank, your apart of that problem also. I do agree with what your saying but it seems like an odd place to make that point, on a hobby vendor sponsored website that most people turn to, to better care for their fish, or help others to do so...
People will pay for anything that they find fascinating. The problem is, most of them do so without knowing how to care for these creatures, and the collectors catch everything, not just some things. Whatever they catch, there is a market for.
tell me 1 fish, salt or fresh, that isn't caught for one reason or another.
Where is a more prefect place to make this point? We (myself included) are the main offenders.
There's nothing wrong with being informative. If my rant made one person second guess the glamorous life of a LFS owner, it wasn't for naught.

Yes. Every day I fight with the idea of giving it up. I actually sold my 300 in wall before Christmas, and my GF, being as thoughtful as she is, decided to give me a new tank.

I wish I bought your 300! I would love it for discus . Although you probably had it set up for a reef.

People will pay for anything that they find fascinating. The problem is, most of them do so without knowing how to care for these creatures, and the collectors catch everything, not just some things. Whatever they catch, there is a market for.
tell me 1 fish, salt or fresh, that isn't caught for one reason or another.
Where is a more prefect place to make this point? We (myself included) are the main offenders.
There's nothing wrong with being informative. If my rant made one person second guess the glamorous life of a LFS owner, it wasn't for naught.

My point was that if there is no market for something, the likelihood of people going out and indiscriminately catching them would decrease. Also, not knowing you personally or not having read any of your posts, i was a bit unsure if your hypocracy was implied or not... Now that I realize it is, I have a better sense of where you were coming from.
As far as the Glamorous lifestyle of an lfs owner, I'll pass! Working 70 hours a week just to keep the doors open, no thanks. Dealing with ignorant and indifferent people that buy things on the basis of appeasing their 7 year old lil' brat throwing a hissy fit, rather than parenting, No thanks. Being in the buisness of pedaling living animals for a margin that hardly covers the cost of the bag or box I use to send them off to die in, no thanks.
I would probably stick to something more ethical and profitable, like for-profit Health care...

The one thing I would do, would be to display how easy or hard it was to keep each fish I stocked and also what habitat they like. I would also keep records of what types of fish I had sold to buyers, so on there next visit they don't buy something thats going to clash with something they already have (assuming its going in the same tank).

The one thing I would do, would be to display how easy or hard it was to keep each fish I stocked and also what habitat they like. I would also keep records of what types of fish I had sold to buyers, so on there next visit they don't buy something thats going to clash with something they already have (assuming its going in the same tank).

Having a difficulty label on each fish would be a great idea! Along with a short list of requirements, people would be able to educate themselves if they're so inclined.

I would only offer exceptionally large or difficult species as special order. Because what would I do with them if they didn't sell? Like thanks but almost no one needs an arowana.
I wouldn't carry anything as a normal stock item that required over 100gallons.
I would refuse to sell fish to people unless their tank was x size.

.... I would go out of business quickly :p

Back
Top Bottom