Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-25-2014, 11:42 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

If I owned an LFS I would.......

Cycle sponge media in their own little tanks and sell them with new setups for an extra £5

If you were an LFS what would you do differently to improve the experience of your customers visit......

Old 03-25-2014, 12:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliban07 View Post
Cycle sponge media in their own little tanks and sell them with new setups for an extra £5...
That's a great idea

As I have no one locally that does it I think I would offer rescue and adoption services for starters.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

- Offer custom orders for regular clients. It's impossible around here to get specific fish ordered in, and since I'm in Canada I don't have many options for getting fish shipped by mail.

- Offer a professional consultation service for people looking to stock their tanks properly.

- Offer classes on fish-keeping!

Your seeded filter media idea sounds like a genius plan to me. I had a hell of a time finding somebody around here willing to give me any.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

How is this not even mandatory lol. Because they want you to come back when your fish die I suppose.

I think you will make more money being genuine and by refusing to sell to people who haven't had their water tested first.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would also set up a little fish medic centre at the back so dead fish could be tested for parasites and the necessary meds could be prescribed. You could also swab your fish and distinguish between gram positive and gram negative bacteria to prescribe the necessary meds.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincritical View Post
- Offer custom orders for regular clients. It's impossible around here to get specific fish ordered in, and since I'm in Canada I don't have many options for getting fish shipped by mail.

- Offer a professional consultation service for people looking to stock their tanks properly.

- Offer classes on fish-keeping!

Your seeded filter media idea sounds like a genius plan to me. I had a hell of a time finding somebody around here willing to give me any.

Excellent ideas! I like the professional consultations for stocking.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:28 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Totally agree with everything so far, especially classes! I would also add this:

*Carry ammonia for fishless cycling (it is amazing how hard it is for people to find it without surfactants and perfumes, etc) for those not wanting to use someone else's media or to feed bb while getting set up.
*Provide a space for the sale of used equipment (tanks, filters, etc).
*Literature (books and magazines) related to the hobby, plus leaflets or brochures from local or regional clubs.

I am lucky to have an independent LFS that is great--will order what I want, knows what they are selling, won't sell fish they know have problems, etc.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:56 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

So right about the ammonia! My LFS sells used tanks etc.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:11 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliban07 View Post
Cycle sponge media in their own little tanks and sell them with new setups for an extra £5

There was one store that did this with the biowheel form marineland filter emperor. If you bought a new emperor filter he will give you 1 or 2 biowheel filters that was cycle in one of the aquariums for the new one's in the box.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:39 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare View Post
There was one store that did this with the biowheel form marineland filter emperor. If you bought a new emperor filter he will give you 1 or 2 biowheel filters that was cycle in one of the aquariums for the new one's in the box.

Sounds like my kind of LFS!

Tags
lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com