If you live in the northeast!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Quest84

Aquarium Advice FINatic
prepare yourself now for the possibility of an extended power outage. We are expecting 24-36 inches of snow between today and tomorrow.

Do a large water change tonight.

If you have generators start them up and make sure they run! Get enough gas to last you a few days.

If you don't have a generator get yourself some battery powered air pumps to oxygenate the water, very important!!

If you can't get a battery powered air pump agitate the water with a wooden spoon.

Float water bottles with hot water in them in the aquarium. Will help keep the temp. up

wrap blankets around your tanks, it will help keep the heat in.

good luck guys, and hopefully all of our fish make it through just fine:fish1:

I'm shaking in my hiking boots...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

In CT and honestly getting worried for my tanks

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I did my water change tonight because of this thread. Thanks for the reminder! Here's hoping for a beautiful winter scene with minimal impact. Good luck, everybody.

Sooo glad I left NYC for Florida. It was 64*F here today. Be safe, and take care of yourselves up there!!

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?

Stay safe down there. Hopefully it will be a powdery snow. If its a wet snow the weight on the lines will be way more heavy. The wind dose not affect lines that much.

Sent via Messenger of Gondor

I am thankful that we live like 2 blocks from the power company and generally they start restoring stuff closest then going outwards further away. (Obviously ems first too)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I am thankful that we live like 2 blocks from the power company and generally they start restoring stuff closest then going outwards further away. (Obviously ems first too)

I'm not that close to the power company but we're about 8-10 blocks from the sub station. All of our EMS/Fire stations have large backup generators. In the FD our biggest problem is phone lines as all our in house alerts use them as primaries. Our second biggest issue is repeater towers. If those go down the FD is basically screwed. It's amazing with technology today that we have such an antiquated primary system. During the last blizzard in '13 we commandeered pay loaders to clear roads for ambulances. Hope it doesn't come back down to that.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

I live in Minnesota I hope my tanks will be fine

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

preparation is key..a water change tonight will help you in case you lose power. follow steps above if needed

actually did my WC the night prior in both tanks. I had the flu all weekend so my weekly was put off a bit.

I have no generator but do have power inverters and 3 cars lol.

I dont think we're gonna lose power but Ive been wrong before. We already started mentally getting blankets ready to wrap the tanks in case tho.
Should have picked up a generator over the summer tho!

Sooo glad I left NYC for Florida. It was 64*F here today. Be safe, and take care of yourselves up there!!

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?

Been telling the other half we have to sell our houses and move down south for years now. Im about to book and just go long distance relationship lol. We both have great jobs up here but the weather is just to much.

Been telling the other half we have to sell our houses and move down south for years now. Im about to book and just go long distance relationship lol. We both have great jobs up here but the weather is just to much.

That's the problem, economy, if I moved down south I'd starve..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You guys looking to leave have gone soft. :~D Bring on the snow...

Weather like this makes you appreciate summer that much more. Absolutely boring to have same temps all year long.

Hope everyone is prepared, good advice OP

Also make like 5 pots of coffee now so later you can have iced coffee ;) hahaha

Thats great advice for fish but hope you are thinking of your selves also. YOu should always have 3 days of water on hand and food that does not need heat to prepare. And no microwaves don't work during power outages hahaha.

Also please have a second heat source. Natural gas furnaces sometimes don't work during power outage do to using electrical input to regulate. I picked up a keroseen heater and enough keroseen to last a few days for about $150. My cousins in CT had 4 sets of neighbors last year sleeping on their floor because they were the only ones prepared and the only ones with a fireplace.

Back
Top Bottom