Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-26-2005, 02:03 AM   #21
AA Team Emeritus

Menagerie, I'm glad Trevor was understanding and I'm glad you're having fun! I was wondering what a degus was too. I don't think I've ever heard of them. The ears are bigger than the gerbils' ears, but they look like they could be in the same family or something. Will they get hockey names too?

Old 01-26-2005, 03:21 AM   #22
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerLunchbox
I am gonna see her tonight .... i will make sure she isn't knocked up. Those degu;s sorta look like chincillas.
They should...they are closely related to chinchillas, but are from warmer, drier, lower altitudes. Intereting fact on these chaps is that they practice tail-autonomy to escape predators.

www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Old 01-26-2005, 10:30 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh my! More animals for Menagerie's menagerie! \
Very cool looking animals - they resemble miniature squirrels - minus the bushy tail.

I have to admit that I have never seen nor heard of degus and I did a quick search on them. I found it interesting that they have little tolerance for sugar - it induces a form of diabetes that shortens their lifespan. No yogurt drops for these guys. However, they seem to do well with chinchilla and rabbit chow, which is mostly alfalfa - and they love dried carrot slices.

I'm completely confused about the whole nesting phenomenon. I guess it's OK so long as you don't find yourself shredding up paper and moving piles of it around the house. :P
Old 01-26-2005, 12:30 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to SerLunchbox Send a message via AIM to SerLunchbox Send a message via MSN to SerLunchbox Send a message via Yahoo to SerLunchbox
Quote:
Here are my new babies!
Well, after maternity clothes and baby clothes shopping, i don't think they are gonna fit into them menagerie. Then again i am happy to report to the viewing public that no, she wasn't knocked up.

Tankless ... for now ... until i find what i really want (and what the wife lets me get!)
Old 01-26-2005, 12:41 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Well, I must admit, Trevor wasn't as happy or as supportive as his first impression gave He gave me a lecture on the way back from the Calgary Aquarium Society meeting My impulsing buying and the fact that I do not include him in picking out our pets really upset him. I know he gets annoyed when I go to the LFS without him--especially since I often bring home fish friends. This week alone, I brought home 2 more Mbuna, 3 stone cats and 3 trap door snails. Last week I brought home 3 more apistos. So, I'm in the dog house for now, but my degus aren't going anywhere!!

The degus are the size of my gerbils right now (they are only 2 months old) and will reach rat size as adults. They will need a minimum of a 30 gal aquarium to live in, but Trevor is already talking about a large ferret encloser They definitely cannot share the gerbils' food, but I will do lots of research and find out exactly what they can eat.

Old 01-26-2005, 12:51 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've worked with Degus before. The ones I handled were very jumpy and liked to run around a lot. They were in a tank(in a pet store) that was probably too small for them. They had a wheel that the liked to play on but they often buried it in substrate.
Menagerie, I think you'll have to look for(at the very least) a part time job at a pet store. That way you can help tons more people and you can get your animal fix... hopefully.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:03 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

I may be volunteering at the Humane Society. Technically, I cannot work here in Canada

Old 01-26-2005, 05:13 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Psyhampster Send a message via Yahoo to Psyhampster
Congrats Menagerie! I've seen Degus at my LFS before. Cute lil buggers!

http://www.aquarank.com/images/users/1.gif Vote For Us!

20 gal FW
----------
2 Flame Blue Platies, 2 Micky Mouse Platies, 2 Flame Gold Platies, 1 German Blue Ram, 2 Yo-Yo Loaches

30 gal FW
--------

1 Marble Hatchet, 5 Silver Hatchets, 6 Zebra Danios, 2 Dwarf Gouramis, 2 Fancy Guppies, 1 Yo-Yo Loach
Old 01-26-2005, 08:00 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Menagerie, I think you'll have to look for(at the very least) a part time job at a pet store. That way you can help tons more people and you can get your animal fix... hopefully.
Are you nuts? Thats like asking her to volunteer at the humane society. Every cute little bugger with no real home will need her! Oh, and see that nasty, mean looking guy over there? She won't be able to let a guy like that take home the cute little whatjacallit, she'll just have to take it herself.
(no, I am not Trevors psuedo-name sign on! :P
Old 01-26-2005, 09:09 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Last night Trevor did accuse me of taking in a stray cat (Squirrel). Funny how the truth is turned in one's head. Months before we took in Squirrel, he was ready to take in a neglected neighborhood cat, Nanook. He would have fed Squirrel if I hadn't

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com