I'm a goner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Meghan, if you or Trevor are handy, you could try making your own cage and probably save lots of $$$. For the bottom, you would need a plastic rubbermaid tray and for the top/sides, you would need powder-coated wire closet shelving, that you can buy by the foot at Home Depot or Lowes. You would also need pliers, heavy wire cutters, and some heavy baling wire to connect things together. From what I've read, degus like to climb, so think vertical! :D

We bought them a nice cage that was 50% off. Today I need to get them each a wheel to run on. They are currently trying to share a gerbil wheel and getting upset with each other. I think I will name them after the goal tending duo of Brodeur and Terreri. (Once I can tell them apart :roll:)

Attachments

• degu2_687.jpg
    degu2_687.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 482
  • degu3_137.jpg
    degu3_137.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 384
They really do look like squirrels!
Very cute - I want a pair, but I'm probably allergic to them. :(

Do they come to you, or try to climb on you? I heard that they are fast and very tough to catch - like kuhli loaches.

Judging by the last picture, you may be in for baby Degus!
There was none of that going on! They like to sit very close to each other. Trevor and I believe they are two males.
They do like to climb around on me, but I do need to catch them first. I saw some adults at the store today while picking up a new wheel. The adults had not really been handled, but one was curious and allowed me to pet it.

Has any one seen the movie the Others? I would think you would need to have a door system like that just incase they ever escaped.

Here are my babies--as I bother them to get a pic :D

Attachments

• degus_nesting_under_wheel_4.jpg
    degus_nesting_under_wheel_4.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 309
  • degus_nesting_under_wheel_2.jpg
    degus_nesting_under_wheel_2.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 156
alas... no furry creatures allowed in my apartment *big sigh* my landlord even said "but you've already got all those fish! you don't need any other creatures."

what does he know... :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom