Im a new employee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mattefect

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys vie recently been hired to work at a fish store. I just want to know when u go to the fish store what would u like the helper to advise u on or give u tips. Also I need to know the basics about african cichlids. Thanks guys

The one that this forum taught me how to do. Proper way to cycle a tank "FISH-LESS CYCLING". And not to sell any fish unless you are sure that their tank is cycled. :)

- Learn all you can, but don't be afraid to tell someone you don't know the answer to the question. Then go ask someone who should know.

- Educate about the cycling process. See if the store would be willing to sell seeded media. One LFS by me sells "cultured" bioballs for starting tanks.

Good point from Jim about "acting" like you know something you don't. Be honest about not knowing something, yet maybe go armed with information sources you've found that you can share.

Nothing I hate more about shopping at specialty places (lfs, Lowes, Home Depot, nursery, etc) when the help pretends to know what they're talking about and really don't.

Thanks for the advice guys so basically asking if their tank has been cycled and if it hasn't been then telling them. Also admitting that I dont know thanks guy

I agree on not giving an answer when you don't know. I know how I felt when that happened: Like I had been lied to. I still shop at the chain store in question, but if that person asks if I need anything my wife usually has to make me be nice.

Don't get an attitude when someone wants 50 feeder fish I almost slapped a petsmart employee for telling me " they didn't have time"

Yep, definitely check that the customer knows about cycling. That's the first thing anyone needs to know, and the one thing that no one ever tells them.

Never sell a fish or coral that your not sure is healthy, Better you to lose a specimen then to lose a customer. I think we all agree on if you don't know the answer don't pretend too.

Fishman

Try to actually keep an eye on the fish most lfs have disgusting infected tanks

Try to actually keep an eye on the fish most lfs have disgusting infected tanks

Agree on that. But the other day I spotted two fish with Ich in my local and trusted LFS. I notified the owner and he immediately dropped a salt cup in there and turned off the tanks light (which he does when fish aren't for sale). So while it was good that he did something immediately it also proved that everywhere can have problems. He didn't notice them before as it was their shipments day (the day they get new fish) and he was really busy.

Back
Top Bottom