Im moving...twice, how to do this with fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blazeyreef

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well...I have found out that we are moving not once, but twice this next year 8O we are building a new house about a mile away, and we need to sell the one we are in now to help pay for the new one....so when we sell it we have to move into some apparments down the street, but the catch is, they only allow two pets... each pet is $300 8O 8O 8O and the two pets are the bird and cat. so what am I going to do about my 29 fowlr, 10 gall high maintance, high light, DIY Co2, doseing ferts planted, and my 5gall nano reef, and betta tank for the next 3-4 months im in the apparment? also how will I move them to help with less stress? im thinking about calling some family freinds, but who has an "extra wall" that I can "borrow" for 3-4 months? and I am NOT going to put them in a garrage and that is finale!
any ideas would be much appreciated!
thank you

Nobody has to know you have fish :p

I think I am only allowed a 20g fish tank in my apt...

lol, ill be moving next year. i plan on just disbanding my set-ups, selling the equipment, and selling my fish back to the lfs. in your case though, you might want to consider taking down the betta and sw tanks if they will be a problem due to space constraints. also, penn-plax makes double iron stands that can hold 2 tanks. that way you could just compact your hobby. no joke- i got a freind who has done this in his flat, having 2 of those curling iron stands with 4 fish tanks running. personally, if it was me, i would just tear down the 29 and the betta tanks. id keep the two small tanks going.

ask ur parents to see what they will accomodate. im sure they will compromise on the situation. yet, if it was me, the choice would be simple, and that's to downsize the hobby.

Many apartments don't consider fish as "pets" because what I think they are worried about is stuff being torn apart and stains. Just sneak them in if they don't allow them...no big deal. You are only there for a couple of months so it is doubtful they would find out.

well I only have to "store" them for a few months, when we move into the new house I can set them back up (maybe even a bigger one LOL) but...
rubbermaids for 3+ months?
and selling them is not an option for me as most of my SW fish have non-replaceable value to me. like one I got for my birthday from a freind (or the money for) 1 was a christmas presant, 2 were valentines presants...
I think I will call my freinds and see if they can keep them, as I will be able to come ever day to feed, and do weekly maintance (look at me awnsering my own question LOL) ....

I'd see if they count fish...one of my first "no pets allowed" apartments, when I asked, allowed fish...usually the pet thing is thinking noise or damage--so they're often ok. Good luck.

I say don't say anything. I have 11 fish tanks in my apartment, and my manager doesn't care. She knows i have them, but she's not worried about it. Most of the time, they include pets as ones that roam the space, not confined.

i agree. i have a "no pets" apartment, but i have four tanks 38 gal., two 10 gal. and a 1 gal. I don't think fish count as pets, it's more like furniture. i generally think that the "no pets" thing is for cats and dogs that are loud and can be dirty and harbor parasites if not taken care of.

plus, it seems that none of your tanks are too large, you could put a couple in the bed room and then another in a different room, even if the landlord comes by, no tanks in sight. i wouldn't worry about it too much.

Back
Top Bottom