Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-23-2005, 06:35 PM   #1

im training my cats to user the toilet

http://home.gci.net/~divs/behavior/toilet_cat.html

too good to be true? I think not! im actually doing it. I have 3 indoor only cats. One of my 3 cats has caught on very quickley and is already using both toilets because he's a bit more adaptable. but my other two are spoiled and i have to take the training a little bit slower for them. I am using flushable cat litter called "Swheat scoop" (with no clay, natural wheat cat litter) and an aluminum cooking tray in my downstairs toilet. So far i have a hole about the size of a golf ball in the middle of the tray and they actually try to scrape their waste onto the hole. The idea is to gradually make the hole bigger so that they eventualy move their feet onto the edge of the toilet seat and learn that the stuff is "magically" buried into the toilet water.

the first time i started researching this it seemed impossible, but now that im actually doing it, the thought of never having to scoop litter agian, well lets just say its getting pretty exciting.

If you wanna learn more about thsi, just google "teach cat to use toilet" and you will find a ton of websites and different ways to go about the training process.

Old 05-23-2005, 06:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to dogspot
One of my cats used to use the toilet. With no training at all... He'd just sit on the seat and go right into the toilet... Sometimes, he would use the sink. But, with the addition of a 2nd cat, he's started using the litter box again.

2 Black Calvi
3 Julidchromus Transcripti
3 Synodontis Petricolas
2 Common Plecos
(all are juveniles) Plan to upgrade to about 120 gallons soon
Old 05-23-2005, 06:41 PM   #3
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
Re: im training my cats to user the toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyNicole
is this too good to be true? I think not! im actually doing it.
You are right....I first ran across a cat that had been trained this way almost 35 years ago.

Quote:
I have 2 indoor only cats. One of my 3 cats has caught on very quickley and is already using both toilets because he's a bit more adaptable. but my other two are spoiled and i have to take the training a little bit slower for them.
Do be aware that some cats will never take to it...ever...and the younger the cat, the better.

Quote:
If you wanna learn more about thsi, just google "teach cat to use toilet" and you will find a ton of websites and different ways to go about the training process.
There are also 'kits' available through most major pet retailers.
www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Old 05-23-2005, 07:04 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

My father-in-law did this with his cat when he lived on a boat, really makes life easier there! It took a while but the cat did learn. He got a kit and cut larger and larger holes in the plastic tray that you put across the top of the bowl. Pretty cool!
Old 05-23-2005, 10:07 PM   #5

yeah i saw the kits, but the aluminum cooking tray works just as good, and is a whole lot cheaper! and you can custimize what size holes you cut so you don't go to fast

Old 05-23-2005, 11:28 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

HA! I may have to try that. We have a bathroom that is right off the laundry room that no one uses (mainly because that is where I keep the laundry baskets). It would be perfect!

Tags
oil

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com