Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-07-2018, 02:20 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Importing a Thai Betta - The experience

Found beautiful fish, bought fish, already knew I could pick up the fish from the local to me trans shipper. Pick up fish - perfect plan...

Discuss payment method with seller - had weird response from seller's email to use a 3rd party ID verifyer which was to involve me to load a new program and allow it to take control of my emails and, etc. NO!

Told the seller NO, I could wait for the delays in communication. He agreed it was annoying and it was not a problem.

Had a good communication exchange.

Wait...

Emailed the trans shipper.

There were a couple issues which ended up meaning instead of like a 5 miles extra drive to pick up fish from the trans shipper it would be about 50 min. to 1:15 min. drive each way. Understandable for the particular personal circumstances.

The fish was to arrive Dec. 2 at least that was my understanding. Trans shipper corrected me it was to arrive 3rd.

Then called the trans shipper about the probable time to pick up the fish. I was told I would be contacted.

At the end of the evening Dec. 4th, got a contacted/ text about the fish arrival. It was too late to go get the fish I worked the next day all day. So arranged to pick him up after work the next night.

Got all the info on pick up and got the fish. He was packed in new water with Prime and IAL extract. In a box as if it was going to be shipped and a heat pack to keep him warm. I was told he was looking pretty good getting better color. A solid specimen.

The trans shipper gets a shipping label and the fish. So the TS doesn't really know what the fish should look like.

I realized it didn't look like the fish I bought and discussed this with the guy had picked him up from. He offered to assist and contact the seller about the wrong fish. I told him I would let him know after the next days work.

So here is the fish I got. It was a very different looking fish than the purchased fish.

After a bit of time in the QT, he started to get a bit of color in the rim of his tail. Bluish sort of.

Then I noticed a mark on his head which seems similar to the purchased fish.

So I email the guy I picked up the fish and told him the similar places, which could be the same fish. Or maybe it's brother????

After a couple hours it seemed his body color was transitioning a bit more towards light blue.

This morning his body was light pale blue. Dec.6

This evening his body was a bit more light to medium blue. Fins still super reddish.

It is a dragonscale body - white base in the metallic scales.

So I am waiting on how the fish recovers. He seems pretty curious and is swimming around. There is moss and a plant. I added Epsom salts as well.

Worried for his health either way if he is the same fish or not.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -5G Spec V Snails & Betta
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 04:37 AM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Hmmm, fingers crossed on colour!

Old 12-07-2018, 06:06 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've been reluctant to buy a betta online for this exact reason. Not much you can really do if they did send you the wrong fish. I have read that they do fade and will completely change colors during shipping so let's hope that is all it is.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:39 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Doesnít look like the same fish to me.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:22 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

His reddish fins are lightening up just a touch more - with new food and a 60% pwc, maybe.

Funny story, I once bought (in a store, probably 5 years ago) a white Betta with 2 red circles on him, think Betta that looks like the Flag for the nation of Japan - I was excited thinking about such a striking color patterned fish, lol. And after a day or 2 he was all white. Joke was on me. So traveling and stress can be hard on them, of course.

But it barely looks like it could be the same fish. Still thinking possibly a brother fish.

The PLAN seemed ideal. Get the fish fast, to minimize the travel stress...

My DD asked if I would ever buy another one from Thailand. Maybe, but maybe I will need to go there to pick him up myself! LOL

The person I know in the fish club gets imported fish all the time. Maybe this situation is unusual. The person helping the TS says they have like 50 Bettas, many shipped. He thought the tail looks slightly off.

Throwing this experience out there was both to give a heads up and also to see how others experiences have been if any. I really haven't heard the bad parts from people at CAS club and I know of a few who order in fish.

```````````````

So in recapping the COST...
30 for a little fish
5 for shipping to trans shipper - and I dont know what the usual fee is, I would guess 15 maybe for shipping 5 or 10 for handling?

anyhow 35.
and and hour and 45 min drive
gave the guy $15 for caring for the little guy - the heat pack and boxing and insulated box, etc.

So $50 dollars - a fools folly perhaps. Birthday fish gone wrong?!?

The pic of the fish I thought I purchased was a color combo/pattern/looking fish I had always been wanting. Looks similar to the Petco Bumblebee fish which I might add costs about 20.00. But the wysiwyg - what you see is what you get, for real.

The traveling really does seem to be hard for the fish. I am disturbed about it. About it in general, and personally for a fish which is not looking good and may not be MY fish. I had already accepted the higher cost for the opportunity to keep a fish which I really liked.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?

Community Rules

FW & SW
Old 12-08-2018, 01:45 AM   #6
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Seems way off colour to me. Maybe is just the travel stress.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:41 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm sorry you had this experience. I would be willing to offer a helping hand. I could watch my pet stores for one similar and send you pics. If you want it I would be willing to buy and ship the one you like. I have yet to see one of that color pattern though. I see the more common bumblebee betta like you mentioned.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:02 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'll also keep an eye out for that color
Old 12-08-2018, 10:46 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Thanks guys. I appreciate the care.

I don't need another for now. This one has me working extra to try to get him better, if he isn't fine right now and just a different fish/color after all!!!

Today I tried 3 different pet stores and found no IAL or extract. I had to work out of town and will get to the other lfs tomorrow or Monday where they usually DO have IAL.

What I did get was a medium size Mopani wood, and some Stress Coat.

Tonight the Betta was slightly less red fins, again, a touch lighter color like yesterday. It feels like when you see the tooth whitening commercials, day 1, day 2, day 3...

I will try and get the pics loaded. Still feel like I would be shocked if the fins turned to the yellow in the sales/original pic.

Tomorrow I plan to online order a few additional botanicals and will use some for this new Thai Betta, because I have a new surprise small paludarium build coming up. Also tap one of my hobby friends in a not too far away town who usually has lots of some kinds of leaves like banana, IAL, Guava and Mulberry leaves, maybe some Alder cones, too. Haven't talked with him for awhile so not positive I can get a hold of him, sometimes he's away for work or family.

Community Rules

FW & SW

Tags
betta

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Fish eggs | - »