Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-03-2012, 10:26 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

A pair of iridescent sharks that I was assured would be fine in my 29G for years before they needed to be put in a bigger tank. They tripled in length in a month at which point I knew I was in trouble...I was almost glad when I lost them in a ick outbreak.

The first and last time I bought I fish I hadn't research at least moderately.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:32 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Umm, I actually did just impulse buy *blush* my husband (non-fish addict) wanted it and I thought hey not soo Bad. South American Bumblebee catfish, It chases my cories, never eats, never see it. Its is actually the good one, not the one that gets to be a foot. but you never know , So it stays hidden. just takes up bio space, and no food. have yet to see it eat,
but my ghost shrimp keep disappearing?
Plus a 10 full of pretty guppies, I just had to have!!!

Love my hubby!!

Oceangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to bud29
I must say that I have bought a beautiful yellow betta when I probably shouldn't have. I am currently battling fin rot with it. *sigh*
Old 09-03-2012, 02:37 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

When I was younger, about ten years old, and knew nothing about fish keeping I got a huge gold gourami for my ten gallon tank from Kmart. Back when they still had those tall chrome walls of fish tanks in their stores if the old timers remember.

It did not go well for the poor gourami. He passed within a week and almost took every other fish with him in the process of dying wedged behind a rock and rotting for two days before I noticed.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:26 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I feel a little better now. I usually research my fish right after I get home to make sure I didn't make a mistake. My biggest blunder would have to be getting a green spotted puffer to put in my 2 gallon freshwater tank. My LFS told me it would be ok so it's not really my fault.

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:42 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaowner
I got some rummy nose tetras too but I didn't realize they were so delicate.
Lol I don't test or do water changes (don't shun me lol) but I bought five of those boogers and they absolutely love my fifty gallon tank I had no idea they were delicate lolol
Old 09-04-2012, 11:49 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenaciousTriggerFish

Lol I don't test or do water changes (don't shun me lol) but I bought five of those boogers and they absolutely love my fifty gallon tank I had no idea they were delicate lolol
How do you not test or do water changes??
Old 09-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel

How do you not test or do water changes??
ok here's me story my friend got me into fish cuz his dad gave me a ten gallon with a overgrown feeder... I then bought a filter a heater and alight from a yard sale and made a livable space I then continued to tweak and expand what I have and when my friends dad found out he took me under his wing and has helped me get a saltwater tank twice and basically I do what he says he never told me I had to test except to test the salinity and never said anything bout water changes and for me what he says goes... And honestly I don't have time I work two jobs a lot of the time one after another and when I don't work I try to go see my dad so my tank thrive so I'm happy because I can see my fish happy they grow eat and I rarely ever lose them so I'm doing something right
Old 09-04-2012, 03:28 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenaciousTriggerFish

ok here's me story my friend got me into fish cuz his dad gave me a ten gallon with a overgrown feeder... I then bought a filter a heater and alight from a yard sale and made a livable space I then continued to tweak and expand what I have and when my friends dad found out he took me under his wing and has helped me get a saltwater tank twice and basically I do what he says he never told me I had to test except to test the salinity and never said anything bout water changes and for me what he says goes... And honestly I don't have time I work two jobs a lot of the time one after another and when I don't work I try to go see my dad so my tank thrive so I'm happy because I can see my fish happy they grow eat and I rarely ever lose them so I'm doing something right
So I'm confused... Yu dont test or do water changes?!?! I'm pretty sure fish will need water changes to survive. If I were you I'd do at least 20% per week and get yourself a API tester kit.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzter

So I'm confused... Yu dont test or do water changes?!?! I'm pretty sure fish will need water changes to survive. If I were you I'd do at least 20% per week and get yourself a API tester kit.
Not to burst anyone's magical bubble, but I've been a very successful aquarist and have been keeping fish for around 10+ years. I don't test my water. I do weekly water changes though.

I actually have a 29g right now with 7 Rummys, no casualties and the are very happy. But I couldn't tell you for the life of me what my parameters are!

That being said, I'm delving into the land of intense planted tanks. That means I will be testing water soon as I need to know individual parameters for specific plant needs.

I do advise doing water testing as it can tell you if something is off with your water and what fish would thrive best, but I've been just fine without it.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com