Impulse buys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, I'm not that bothered about the testing but everyone needs to do a water change.

When I first got my tank, second hand, I couldn't afford a brand new one. I impulses bought a pineapple swordtail on the first day and put him straight in (after research I know this was a very bad idea) however, I still have him now an have never (touch wood) had any issues with him!

Mine was a oceanic biocube for 100$ on craiglist.. 2 days later ~50pounds of live rock ~live sand( only used what I needed) 2 clown fish 2 gobies, star fish and a CUC on CL for 100$.

Did I mention I know nothing about saltwater?

Thankfully my lfs is babysitting my stock while I figure out what I'm doing.

A pair of Guppies in a 125. The plan was to have them reproduce and supply some live food for the rainbows. They tended to nip at my rainbows was not happy with them and gave them to the cleaning lady. A betta. I still have him. He's been around 2 week. Almost made it to the bottom about an hour ago a group of rainbow fish became interested and the betta retreated back to the floating plants. I'm glad to see he's trying to get around. I never had betta not blend in with the other fish. I believe he's happier in the 125 than in a 16 ounce cup.

Predfan27 said:
Not to burst anyone's magical bubble, but I've been a very successful aquarist and have been keeping fish for around 10+ years. I don't test my water. I do weekly water changes though.

I actually have a 29g right now with 7 Rummys, no casualties and the are very happy. But I couldn't tell you for the life of me what my parameters are!

That being said, I'm delving into the land of intense planted tanks. That means I will be testing water soon as I need to know individual parameters for specific plant needs.

I do advise doing water testing as it can tell you if something is off with your water and what fish would thrive best, but I've been just fine without it.

Ok I'll take it into consideration

Went toy awesome LFS a couple of weeks ago to buy a German Blue Ram. Ended up with him, 3 whisker shrimp (still can't find much info on them, but they are doing great) and a pure black bar endler male. I couldn't believe they had these guys! Now, I just cycled another tank an am receiving 3 pairs of endlers this week! Talk about an impulse buy.......it turned into a serious problem! Hahahaha.....the wife wants to kill me! And now I'm bugging her for another tank because Petco has the dollar per gallon going on! I think I need to join group therapy.....

image-739812692.jpg

There's Joey! Hahahaha.....my daughter named him! He's like half an inch. I thought he was toast when I first put him in the the tank. He was chased for an hour, and the black skirts all gathered up and eyed him for awhile. Now Joey chases everyone else around. Go figure....

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418345521.604292.jpg This is like the best thing ever, around a 45 gallon tank, although I will use it for reptiles. It is still a steal though!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The entire tank stocking was an impulse. I was meant to be getting cichlids and had the rocks and everything planned out. Every second employee at the lfs has them so heaps of advice.

Then kind of changed my mind at last second and went with cheaper fish. After that it was all matching to those fish. Kind of regret I didn't hold to the original plan.

I have had a lot of impulse buys. I go looking for one thing and they don't have it and I refuse to leave empty handed haha. Some of these buys are the reason I keep setting up more tanks!
So if we count things I didn't plan on buying: 22 cories, 3 swordtails, 9 gold pristella tetras, and an assassin snail. I still have most of them.

I have had a lot of impulse buys. I go looking for one thing and they don't have it and I refuse to leave empty handed haha. Some of these buys are the reason I keep setting up more tanks!

Lol - that's dedication!

Bought a hob filter for my sister last night. Then got carried away and bought a co2 checker and then thought what the heck and bought a co2 diffuser (hopefully fits the tank, forgot to look at measurements in haste).

we got a blue gourami for my tank thinking it was a girl dwarf gourami and evrey fish died but it mean little thing but it died yesterday so i can get more had him for a year

I purchased 6 giant danios. They wrecked havoc on my tank. To this day I have nightmares about trying to catch them to take them back to the lfs.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I impulse got 4 free GBR on Craigslist. The person was quite clear that they would 'get rid' of the fish if there were no takers. Whether that's true or not I'll never know but I took them. They were in pretty rough shape. Lost 1 but the other three are fine!

Years ago I bought a paradise fish without much research. Didn't know they were jumpers and he lived in a tank without a lid. That didn't end well :(

In my first few months keeping fish I bought a gold severum on impulse. He was the cutest little fish (about the size of a quarter) and I had no clue what a severum was or how much trouble he would cause in a 20 gallon... Whoops. I ended up getting a 40 gallon for him and had him for 2 more years before giving him away to my friend's 90 gallon tank, where he's happy and healthy and has a lady friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom