Interesting behaviors and personalities

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MissGurnus

Aquarium Advice FINatic
With so many experienced fish keepers with they're respective fish we're bound to see and notice our fish doing some interesting things and behaving in ways we never expected. So share what you've seen and maybe we will learn something cool!

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

My small dojo follows the big one around like its his father. They play with each other and it's quite interesting to watch!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1435107377.803530.jpg

Caleb

Sometimes my GBR will follow around my cory's like he is a catfish too and sometimes the catfish follow him. It's fun to watch and it's the only time when the GBR isn't attacking everything else n the tank lol.

I once witnessed a cory cat decide he wanted to school with some giant danio's xD

Sometimes my GBR will follow around my cory's like he is a catfish too and sometimes the catfish follow him. It's fun to watch and it's the only time when the GBR isn't attacking everything else n the tank lol.

My gbrs would school with the Angels some times when they were all small. I thought it was so funny.

My ottos used to school with my zebra danios when I had them in my 180g.

The Cory cats do the Cory cat conga. They swim in straight lines along the front of the tank right up to the power head which shoots them across the tank and then they line up and do it again. It's like a water park for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The Cory cats do the Cory cat conga. They swim in straight lines along the front of the tank right up to the power head which shoots them across the tank and then they line up and do it again. It's like a water park for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That's hilarious xD

yo yo loaches doing figure 8 circles and other weird loachy stuff..

I could tell stories for days of weird loachy stuff from every species I've kept... they're some of the quirkiest fish in the hobby :lol: In particular though our new kubotai likes to swim upside down across the tank like a certain species of african catfish :lol:

I could tell stories for days of weird loachy stuff from every species I've kept... they're some of the quirkiest fish in the hobby :lol: In particular though our new kubotai likes to swim upside down across the tank like a certain species of african catfish :lol:

:) I wonder if they think this stuff up (like 'today I'm going swim in circles') or pick it up from imitating other fish?

:) I wonder if they think this stuff up (like 'today I'm going swim in circles') or pick it up from imitating other fish?

Could be a fantastic research topic! Too bad there's more money in my aquarium budget than there is funding for research into loaches.... :(

I was talking with my girlfriend last night about when the lights slowly ramp down on my tank to low moon light how the fish all go back to their spots to sleep. I think it's one of the coolest things to watch your tank wake up in the morning, be active all day, then go to sleep at night.

I was talking with my girlfriend last night about when the lights slowly ramp down on my tank to low moon light how the fish all go back to their spots to sleep. I think it's one of the coolest things to watch your tank wake up in the morning, be active all day, then go to sleep at night.

Fish need their rest too so they can entertain you all day ;)

Caleb

I love how fish have their "beds" :)

A couple months ago I woke to find that a guppy had jumped into my red eye puffer tank. I was shocked to see that the puffer wasn't attacking him and treated him almost like I've heard oscars treating "pet" goldfish.

A couple months ago I woke to find that a guppy had jumped into my red eye puffer tank. I was shocked to see that the puffer wasn't attacking him and treated him almost like I've heard oscars treating "pet" goldfish.

Do you mind explaining what you mean about oscars and gold fish? ? I hadn't heard about this

Some people will offer goldfish to their oscars as food(which I don't approve of) and sometimes the oscar will form a bond with the goldfish.

Sad that there are piranhas and oscars that are kinder and gentler souls than their owners.... considering that we ought to know better by now. When we adopt the oscar from the university he will never eat a goldfish (but he does and will continue to eat many, many spiders)

For what it's worth, long long ago I witnessed the same thing with a betta and a goldfish in a bowl. (This was before I could have possibly known any better, I was no more than 6 years old)

I've heard the same of a goldfish in a piranha tank. :D

Caleb

Piranha unfortunately have quite the same and misplaced reputation as sharks used to have. Not that they can't be vicious, but they are also not an insatiable creature waiting for you to fall in. :(

Back
Top Bottom