Internet and the kids' computer (help!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TankGirl

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am setting up an old computer in the family room for the kids to use, since my preteen wants to have e-mail like her friends, and the little kids want to play games on Nic Jr., etc.

I have a network card installed so it will have internet access through my cable internet, but I have no clue how to keep this particular computer from having free and clear internet access. How do I set it up so it is somewhat restricted? It is in the family room and what they do and where they go will be visible to me, but I want to keep them from even accidentally going to inappropriate places. I am thinking about making Yahooligans or something similar be the home page that comes up when they log on, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

If there is a website that walks you through this kind of thing that would be great, or let me know what you have done to kid-proof your own family computer.

I believe if you create a startup logon for them on your main computer when you boot it up in order for them to gain access to their internet, it will carry the restrictions through the network! This is just a guess so don't quote me on it.

Other than that I'm sure there is some kind of program out there kind of like a V-Chip for the T.V. where you can install it and it will filter the site befire conecting to it! Again just a guess!

I have Norton Anti-Virus software that has a parental lock. There are also MANY programs that you can buy that will prevent your children from seeing sites that are inappropriate. Cyber Nanny and so on. The Norton is ok for limited blocking, but to completly block out the "bad" sites, get a blocking program. There will be a few that will be able to be accessed, but most are blocked.

well from being a kid, and able to crash my fathers computer Millions of times, i figured out that there are SO many ways to get in to appropiate sites but i reccomend Yahoo parental controlls, which can be downloaded from the site, http://ypc.yahoo.com/ this is just a precaution, as i do not use it becasue im so trustable :mrgreen: , nowadays parental controlls are getting better and better!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom