Internship- Lobster parasites!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sinibotia

Aquarium Advice Addict
This isn't entirely aquaria related, but I like to think that the aquarium hobby is a part of the greater picture in marine science. Aquarists are some of the best amateur scientists in the world, as we have to integrate multiple levels of biology and chemistry in order to maintain our plants and animals, and we are constantly observing those plants and animals and learning things that often inspire scientific research. And most of the aquarists I have met are very interested in learning more science! So here, have some!

I wanted to share some information about the internship I just received for the summer, working at my university. It was recently found that there's a parasite that infects green crabs (an invasive species) off the coast of Maine that can also infect lobsters. This parasite's definitive host is seagulls, but it uses crustaceans as intermediate hosts (basically a stopover until that crustacean ends up in the belly of a gull).

We're gonna be researching that parasite in lobsters- it may even be linked to the mysterious lobster shell disease.

Some fun aspects of this: One of my fellow undergraduate interns has the glorious job of literally scaring the poop out of seagulls. When they're frightened and trying to take off fast, they poop to lose weight and escape faster. The poop contains the parasite, so he has to go scare seagulls and collect the poop. Isn't science wonderful?

I'm more of a lab rat, so I'll be doing a lot of running different analysis on samples from lobsters with the parasite- looking at gene expression in the lobsters infected by the parasite and such. Without going into too much detail, there's certain things you'd expect to see as far as how the lobster responds to the parasite on the cellular level- different RNAs coding for proteins that are involved in fighting the parasite- and we'll be looking for those kinds of things. We'll probably have tanks full of lobsters for this part. (Aquaria related, check!)

It's gonna be awesome, and it's also going to be paying for my existence over the summer so that I can continue to work on my thesis on discus! If you've got any questions (about the lobster stuff or my discus thesis) I'll try to answer them! Hope ya'll found this interesting!

Very cool! Good luck! I know I'd be the one guy who would have to scare the poop out of seagulls.

Very cool! Good luck! I know I'd be the one guy who would have to scare the poop out of seagulls.

Lol, I'm good friends with the guy who has to do it, he's actually looking forward to it. Sure scraping up bird poop sucks, but getting to scare birds for science is hilarious, and you get to be outside in the summer on the coast of Maine. Hard to beat that!

Plus, imagine putting that on your resume as lab experience; "Pippetting, PCR analysis, DNA extraction, scaring the poop out of birds..."

I personally enjoy scaring birds, I chase pigeons like a 5 year old haha. Will the lobsters be wild caught?

I believe so. A lot of the reason for this research is that lobsterman have been using green crab as cheap and readily available bait, so the parasite might be infecting wild lobsters through that and lobsterman want answers about it. Plus lobster aquaculture hasn't advanced far enough to even make a dent in the Maine lobster fishery- which is fine by me, since it's one of the most sustainable (one of the ONLY sustainable) fisheries in the world.

I believe so. A lot of the reason for this research is that lobsterman have been using green crab as cheap and readily available bait, so the parasite might be infecting wild lobsters through that and lobsterman want answers about it. Plus lobster aquaculture hasn't advanced far enough to even make a dent in the Maine lobster fishery- which is fine by me, since it's one of the most sustainable (one of the ONLY sustainable) fisheries in the world.

Good point, my friend.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yep, don't feel guilty eating Maine lobster. It's one of the best-managed fisheries in the world. In fact, it's so well-managed that recently there's been a glut of them, so eat MORE Maine lobster :lol:

If anyone wants to know more about it, I highly recommend the book "The Secret Life of Lobsters". It's about the biology of lobsters, the history of Maine lobster fishing, and how scientists and lobstermen have worked with each other to best take care of the lobster population. I had to read it for my Marine Policy class, and it was prettymuch the only part of that class I liked. If anyone is really interested I'll even personally mail you my copy :)

Awesome stuff! It's like the black spot disease in freshwater.

If I remember correctly,

Snails pick up the black spot from the fish, birds eat the snail, and then poop in the water to infect the fish. Without the birds carrying the disease for a time it won't be able to infect fish.

Awesome stuff! It's like the black spot disease in freshwater.

If I remember correctly,

Snails pick up the black spot from the fish, birds eat the snail, and then poop in the water to infect the fish. Without the birds carrying the disease for a time it won't be able to infect fish.

Exactly like that! That's a really good example of an indirect life cycle, which is where a parasite has multiple hosts but only one final or "definitive" host. (Ich, conversely, is an example of a direct life cycle). If you've ever heard of toxoplasmosis- or heard that you aren't supposed to change a litter box while pregnant- it involves a parasite with an indirect life cycle. The details are gruesome so I won't explain here, but if anyone is interested PM me and I'll explain why toxoplasma is only dangerous when pregnant (it's an interesting bit of evolutionary biology).

The interesting thing about this particular parasite we're studying is that until recently it was only documented to infect green crabs- not lobsters. Nobody is really sure when it started infecting lobsters, how it started infecting lobsters, or if using crabs as bait has anything to do with it. Hopefully at the end of the summer we'll have at least some leads on the answers to those questions!

Last edited:
Exactly like that! That's a really good example of an indirect life cycle, which is where a parasite has multiple hosts but only one final or "definitive" host. (Ich, conversely, is an example of a direct life cycle). If you've ever heard of toxoplasmosis- or heard that you aren't supposed to change a litter box while pregnant- it involves a parasite with an indirect life cycle. The details are gruesome so I won't explain here, but if anyone is interested PM me and I'll explain why toxoplasma is only dangerous when pregnant (it's an interesting bit of evolutionary biology).

The interesting thing about this particular parasite we're studying is that until recently it was only documented to infect green crabs- not lobsters. Nobody is really sure when it started infecting lobsters, how it started infecting lobsters, or if using crabs as bait has anything to do with it. Hopefully at the end of the summer we'll have at least some leads on the answers to those questions!

Yeah, we covered toxoplasmosis earlier this year in my OB class. Nasty stuff.

You will have to keep us informed of the research. I'll be looking forward to hear about it. What species of green crab did it originally infect?

I think a great idea would be to bury your fellow intern in sand next to some open food. Then when the sea gulls come by he/she jumps up.

You'd be scaring multiple birds with one... stone I guess.

Yeah, we covered toxoplasmosis earlier this year in my OB class. Nasty stuff.

You will have to keep us informed of the research. I'll be looking forward to hear about it. What species of green crab did it originally infect?

Oh, so you know the horrors of toxoplasmosis... but did they tell you WHY it does that? I learned it in my aquaculture parasitology class, and I thought it was fascinating.

I'll keep you updated as much as I can. Obviously I can only share so much as this will end up being published research, although I doubt there's a bunch of scientists stalking aquarium forums for dumb undergraduate interns.

The green crab in question is Carcinus maenas, which is native to the Northeast Atlantic but invasive prettymuch everywhere, including the Maine coast. They've outcompeted native rock crabs, which are a major source of food for lobsters, and so lobsters have been eating green crabs- even more reason to worry about this parasite.

I think a great idea would be to bury your fellow intern in sand next to some open food. Then when the sea gulls come by he/she jumps up.

You'd be scaring multiple birds with one... stone I guess.

I forsee this idea ending with someone getting bird poop in their face and/or someone getting their eyes gouged out by an angry seagull.

That someone isn't me though, so I'm all for it! Unfortunately I won't be there when he's scaring the poop out of birds; I'll be cooped up in a stuffy lab playing around with test tubes and pipettes and bits of lobsters and fancy $50,000 machines- er, I mean, doing serious science! (As Adam from the myth busters said, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down!)

Interesting crab. Although, it would be interesting as a possible control method for some pests in salty tanks.

I forsee this idea ending with someone getting bird poop in their face and/or someone getting their eyes gouged out by an angry seagull.

That someone isn't me though, so I'm all for it! Unfortunately I won't be there when he's scaring the poop out of birds; I'll be cooped up in a stuffy lab playing around with test tubes and pipettes and bits of lobsters and fancy $50,000 machines- er, I mean, doing serious science! (As Adam from the myth busters said, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down!)

That Adam quote is funny. "I reject your reality and substitute my own" is my favorite of his.

I'm assuming the 50G machines are PCR machines (thermal cyclers I think they are also called).

That Adam quote is funny. "I reject your reality and substitute my own" is my favorite of his.

I'm assuming the 50G machines are PCR machines (thermal cyclers I think they are also called).

That is another one of my favorite mythbusters quotes. Rounding out my top 3 is Adam, doing a bad french accent; "Today we will be combining two of my favorite things- red meat, and high explosives, hahaha!" Mythbusters were a huge influence for me as a kid, they made me want to go into science.

And yes! You are absolutely correct, the 50K machine is (one of) the PCR/thermal cycler machines.

Back
Top Bottom