Is AQ Advisor too generous in their stocking count?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ToastyHippie

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been reading that it is? If so, to what extent would you say it's generous? What level do you normally stock your tank using it?

I've been reading that it is? If so, to what extent would you say it's generous? What level do you normally stock your tank using it?

Typically, I wouldn't recommend going above 150% on stocking unless you're prepared to do a ton of water changes. That being said, less can go wrong with a lighter stocked tank.

Ignore the filtration %

Typically, I wouldn't recommend going above 150% on stocking unless you're prepared to do a ton of water changes. That being said, less can go wrong with a lighter stocked tank.

Ignore the filtration %

See, mines still under 90% but, I wouldn't mind going a bit over it to increase my schools of neons and bloodfins if it does have that over estimation

What do you have so far? What is the tank size?

20 gallon

Currently, 5x bloodfins
1x mystery snail
1x Nerite snail
10x ghost shrimp were originally added but after the normal casualties with them I believe I'm just down to six
1x male betta

The plan is to add 2x bloodfins more and 7x neons which if I remember right brought me up to like 98%

20 gallon

Currently, 5x bloodfins
1x mystery snail
1x Nerite snail
10x ghost shrimp were originally added but after the normal casualties with them I believe I'm just down to six
1x male betta

The plan is to add 2x bloodfins more and 7x neons which if I remember right brought me up to like 98%

That's a good plan, it should look nice.

That's a good plan, it should look nice.

My aquarium is moving into being heavily planted by the by. What I'm wondering is if I should bump up the neon School size a bit which is why I was wondering if Aq advisor over estimates the stocking?

One nearly always encounters a few too delicate after all the shipping with Neons, and subsequent loss. So I would get about 4 more than you are planning. Get 11 or 12 probably have 8 or 9 after they get settled. Green Neons are pretty cool looking and I believe slightly less sized than regular Neons.

AQ is light handed.They will not let you get 100% without saying you are 125% stocked.They error on the side of caution IMO.
I appreciate their compatibility and temperature info but as far as crowding fish go they try not to let you get carried away.
Their estimate of stocking level is based on full size fish so there is clearly room to grow if you have smaller fish...
I kept my 180g stocked at 220%[according to AQ] for 3 years before loosing some fish.Even with that they say that 11 of my fish have my 180 overstocked....These fish are 12-16 years old with me and have a possible 50 year life span so IMO they have not grown to full size and the tank is not over stocked as they say..
Make sure you keep up on weekly water changes. Your fish will not 'outgrow' your tank the 'overcrowding' is all about water quality IMO.

Back
Top Bottom