Is Fishing Hypocritical?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeriousDude5

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was out on the water today reeling in stripped bass and blue fish left and right, and I couldn't help to feel a bit guilty. I keep fish in my home, yet I'm out on the water reeling them in. Is it painful for the fish to have a hook stuck in its mouth, do fish feel pain?! I imagine it can't be comforatable. I've seen my chiclids shake off some pretty good beats, that might surpase a hook in the mouth. I mean I do feel bad about it, but lets be reasonable, fishing is A+! Oh and I always catch and release!

Funny we were just discussing that the other day. I like to fish but I no longer can clean the fish to eat. Someone else has to do it now for me. I don't think it is hypocritical as the tropical fish I keep are for recreation and enjoyment.

i would say fishing is very far from hypocritical
most fishers/hunters are the ones who care most about conservation of the game

You think fishing is hypocritical?

What about all you sushi lovers out there... :BIG:

hehe

I have no problems with fishing. I eat what I catch and don't do it just for sport. Used to be that way also 20 years ago as a kid with hunting squirrel and rabbit. We didn't kill more than we ate. BTW, I dont have that "taste" anymore.

The fish I catch is healthier than anything I buy at the grocery, that's for sure.

I Love fishing (both on the pond and in our tank) don't worry I don't just catch our fish just to catch them. I only do it when we have to. When I fish on the pond (lake or whatever) I usually catch and release unless it's a really nice Rock Fish or Bass cause OMG that's some good eating.

My brother-in-law is totally redneck and has what he calls "The Redneck Aquarium" which is 2 plastic barrels with a square cut out on the side and he has them laid on the other side on a DIY stand. The top one has bait fish in it and the other has a Turte. They tell me they plan on eating the trutel (EWW). He did have a Catfish (another EWW) in there at one point but he ate it for dinner.

So, I guess where I'm going with this is at least we aren't eating our pets and if you fish/hunt then really you're only doing what we as humans were made to do.
And if you feel guilty about fishing then you might want to think twice about the fish sticks in your frezzer. Next time I'm over at my sister's I'll see if I can sneak a pic of his "Tank" and post it.

Oh, one more thing... As for the hook in the fish's mouth and pain I'm sure it does hurt depending on where the hook goes through (this is just an educated guess, I know from some of my Medical classes that there are parts of our body that you really can't feel pain so I'm guessing fish would be the same).

As Sebastian said in the Disney film,

Down here all the fish is happy
As off through the waves they roll
The fish on the land ain't happy
They sad 'cause they in the bowl

But fish in the bowl is lucky
They in for a worser fate
One day when the boss get hungry
Guess who's gon'be on the plate

Though I have no plans to dine on my Pleco... :lol:

Back
Top Bottom