Is it time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomSawyer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I don't usually post, but I certainly appreciate all the advise and information I get from this site.

I have a dilemma in that I have an 11 (or maybe 12) year old fantail gold fish, he is alone in a 27 gallon tank with good filtration, heating and lighting, minimal decorations and smooth bottom gravel. He lost his tail about 3 years ago and it never completely grew back, but it was no big issue as he use to swim around the best he could, ate normally and was basically a normal gold fish.

But now he is so old he can no longer swim, he kind of hops and skids from one place to the next with very little control, we have to hand feed him (have been for the past 10 months or so) because he can't get to floating or sinking pellets anymore, he also can't maintain his balance and unless he wedges himself in a corner or near an object he flips over on his side and can't straighten up without help.

He still eats what we feed him, but other than that I have to pick him up and put him upright about 5 times a day, otherwise he just stays in one place lying on his side (very sad) and when I am not home he could be in that position for hours.

I have 4 other fresh water tanks, and have been doing this hobby for over 10 years, but I never had to consider putting down a fish because of old age.

Is it time?

Thanks in advance
Tom

I have euthanized fish when I knew they were close to dying, but always with hesitation, though. It's never easy. Ultimately, only you can decide...

David

I haven't used it yet, but I was told Clove oil is very humane if you want to check into it. My grocery store pharmacy said they can order it, independently owned pharmacies may carry it too. Also I understand cake decorating supplier will carry it as well.

You can always check into any internal bacterial infections, feed peas, the standard stuff if you haven't already done that.

I am sorry your fish you have had for so long is not well.

Back
Top Bottom