Is my tank over stocked? Or can i get a pleco, if yes, which kind would you suggest?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wolf926

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 20 gal tall. Currently been up for 2 moths and stocked with 1 molly, 4 guppy fry, 1 guppy adult, 3 ghost shrimp, 1 blue velvet shrimp, a few snails, and 2 sword tails and 2 glass catfish. I dont really care about the cleaning the pleco would do, i just want to keep one. Any comments are appreciated.

Rubber nose, bristlenose, candy stripe, snowball, butterfly, and clown. You will need to do frequent cleaning/water changes.

thx for the reply, how often would be good? i usually do changes every two weeks because i have to go about an hour away to get fresh water, and my tank isnt at my house rn. its been working out for me, nitrates are 20 but everything else is fine, and ive been told thats within safe parameters.

Pleco is a heavy pooper. Your nitrates will go up. I'd say you need to do a 33% water change once a week. But if you have a test kit you could narrow it down to more of an exact day.

I, personally, would consider your tank overstocked, even without a pleco. The glass catfish are social and shouldn't be kept in small numbers (I think 5 minimum is the recommendation). Swordtails also get fairly large and aren't suitable for a 20 gallon.

For the record, I've never seen any species of pleco recommended for a 20 gallon. I've always seen a 30 gallon minimum. Pleco need driftwood and--along with the catfish--plants to feel secure.

since I agree your a bit over stocked and pleco's are hard poopers I would remove the pleco for water quality purpose since you have limited access to fresh water , should lighten the load enough so you don;t need to struggle between water change .

Back
Top Bottom