Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-30-2006, 11:22 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Now that I think of it, LR can be a very expensive, and might be the one thing that wold shoot the cost up over FW. Think, you need about 1.5-2Lbs of rock per gallon. My LFS sells LR for $8.99/Lbs. So a 100 G tank=$1348, just for rock. Of course, you could use a mixture of base rock for about $2-3/Lbs....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 11-30-2006, 01:12 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to crazyred
Planted tanks don't have to be hard. I use liquid ferts and if you can understand how much dechlor to put in, you can understan how much Flourish to put in. As for CO2, yeah, I guess the high-tech pressurized can be complicated, but it's not really an absolute must. I know people that have fabulous planted tanks with high light and Flourish Excel only.

I guess it's all in perception on tank difficulty. I think that a reef tank would be next to near impossible. I think I'd kill everything in there. Those corals sound sensitive to the least little thing, and needing MH lights, chillers, and all that other stuff 8O 8O....I'll stick with my planted tank and my DIY CO2.

55 gal.FW: 4 platies, 3 angelfish, 3 Cochu's blue tetras, 2 Rummynose tetras, 4 A. cacatuoides, 1 A. trifasciata, 2 blue rams, 6 Von Rio tetras, 1 Queen Arabesque pleco

29 Gal. FW: 2 variatus platies, 6 cherry barbs, 10 harlequin rasboras, 1 opaline gourami, 1 hillstream loach, 1 Rio Jari pleco (L-316), 1 GBR

10 Gal. FW: 1 african clawed frog, 1 dwarf flame gourami

10 Gal. FW:tons of blue ram fry

(4) 2 Gal. FW: all four with male bettas
Old 11-30-2006, 01:38 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

My 10 gallon FOWLR is a piece of cake to maintain (even with mixing salt) compared to my 55 gallon high-light planted. I was nervous to start my first SW tank but once i did I was amazed how easy it was, compared to the planted tank. I add 5 or 6 different nutrients to my planted tank several times weekly.

Really, though you can make your tanks as simple or complex as you want, it just depends what you want. A high light FW planted tank or a reef tank are going to be more expensive and more work. A low light planted or FOWLR tank is going to be easier and less expensive. I do think the initial outlay on any SW tank that has live rock is going to be more, though.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:44 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

I don't believe sw is any more difficult than fw, but rather different aspects to consider in regards to husbandry efforts. The general cost of sw is much higher than fw, though.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:17 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hc8719 Send a message via MSN to hc8719
as someone who kept fw tanks since i was 7, and just started a few weeks ago for my 19th birthday a sw fowlr tank, i can tell you a few things newbie sw people go through, the most prevenant being:

If you have a smaller tank, warm water evaporates really quickly, and even a tiny bit of evap will change your salinity. SW fish need their salt levels to be between 1.020-1.024

so you can see it flucuates when water evaps, and salt doesnt

if you can get past that (and the mass money involved) its not much harder. PWCs are more complicated, i'll admit though
Old 12-10-2006, 08:54 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hmmm. When I kept a small nano reef, I did'nt do any pwcs or use a protein skimmer. I had a 10 gallon hex with 2 Coralife fixtures yielding 6 wpg to a depth of alomst 15". The best investment I made thru the whole thing was buying a canister filter, a fluval which kinda made things pricey up front but it did the work of a filter and skimmer...

Beyond buying supplements, which were'nt much more expensive than the similar live plant nutrient mixes, I would say the costs were a little higher, but were absolutely marvelous to behold. Watching the tongue coral grow and see its tentacles dance in the current was amazing and very rewarding. So, if someone is willing to put some thought, research and some hard work into it, sw can be easily more rewarding and involving than freshwater imo.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:42 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

Re: Is SW more difficult than FW or simply more expensive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostasonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyred
For SW, I don't think most use tap water....RO must mixed with the salt to get the correct specific gravity and added very carefully.
I know nothing about FW so that is all Greek to me.
I hope it was all Greek to me too !! You see, Iīm Greek...

the only Greek I know is:

gyros
Acropolis
malaka

one day I may expand on my linguistic skills...
Old 12-19-2006, 09:09 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
mmmmmmm, gyros....they have AWESOME grapes and olives, there!

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 12-27-2006, 02:17 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

it really depends if you mean 'plain FW' or 'high tech planted FW'. a basic 20gal FW fish only tank is going to be cheaper and easier to setup and maintain. there's no salt water to mix and test salinity on, and FW fish are generally less sensitive to nitrites and nitrates (nitrites are still bad, but SW fish tend to tolerate them much less).

a FW planted tank can be more expensive and more maintenance than a basic SW tank.
a reef tank with corals and live rock will be more expensive than FW planted, and a little more maintenance mostly in terms of testing more water chemistry (calcium, alkalinity, magnesium)
Old 12-30-2006, 05:35 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hc8719 Send a message via MSN to hc8719
Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore

a FW planted tank can be more expensive and more maintenance than a basic SW tank.
a reef tank with corals and live rock will be more expensive than FW planted, and a little more maintenance
hold up, ive done somewhat planted, and a basic SW FOWLR. the cost of a planted tank doesnt compare to the cost of LR.

fw was easy, sw is more work (more work doesnt mean it's harder though) doing a water change (premixing salt, airating new water) daily salinity test and top offs

sw isn't impossible like people say, personally, i bet any freshie could do a marine tank given 10 days to read up about it

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com