Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-29-2006, 01:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Is SW more difficult than FW or simply more expensive?

Was just wondering...I have had experience only with FW. I could not afford the cost of SW anyway...What is your opinion??

Old 11-29-2006, 02:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Both? LOL

Old 11-29-2006, 02:05 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
To some degree FW can be just as costly as SW and just as complex if you go into the planted tank setup and go beyond just putting on higher output lights and putting some plants in. Having to deal with CO2 and ozone for large planted setups can be quite complex IMO.

I do feel for a standard FW setup vs a standard SW setup the SW setup will have more upfront costs and to some degree some higher ongoing costs but you also have more of a cost the more complex you want either setup.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to crazyred
In my prelim reasearch on SW I think it's both a little more expensive upfront and a little more complicated than FW. If you're doing a reef it's WAY more expensive than say a FOWLR, but what makes the diff to me in the complexity is that all us freshies have to do to do a PWC is usually just dechlor our tap water and add. For SW, I don't think most use tap water....RO must mixed with the salt to get the correct specific gravity and added very carefully. This would require a little more complication I would think.

Also, most SW fish cost quite a bit more on average than FW fish, but they are undeniably gorgeous. I might go over to the dark one of these days. As soon as I find me a sugar daddy. LOL

55 gal.FW: 4 platies, 3 angelfish, 3 Cochu's blue tetras, 2 Rummynose tetras, 4 A. cacatuoides, 1 A. trifasciata, 2 blue rams, 6 Von Rio tetras, 1 Queen Arabesque pleco

29 Gal. FW: 2 variatus platies, 6 cherry barbs, 10 harlequin rasboras, 1 opaline gourami, 1 hillstream loach, 1 Rio Jari pleco (L-316), 1 GBR

10 Gal. FW: 1 african clawed frog, 1 dwarf flame gourami

10 Gal. FW:tons of blue ram fry

(4) 2 Gal. FW: all four with male bettas
Old 11-29-2006, 04:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to fishrfreinds
SWA are so much more better. But they require a fat wallet to keep them happy. And yes it is harder but depending on how many years and experiences youve had w/ FW will prepare you for SW.

I dont want to be a Advice Freak!
Old 11-29-2006, 06:12 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Is SW more difficult than FW or simply more expensive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyred
For SW, I don't think most use tap water....RO must mixed with the salt to get the correct specific gravity and added very carefully.
Think of it this way. You know how much dechlor and how much water to use in your PWC bucket. SW is the same. After a few times I knew how much salt to put in the water, for the right salinity. I know nothing about FW so that is all Greek to me.
I do admire the decorations and the different aquascaping you folks come up with. They are just AWESOME! Actually, that is about the only place in the FW that I like to look at (tank shots). Each time I see really cool ones, I'm like, man I need to get me one of those! Unfortuantely, my imagination is somewhat lacking...LOL!
I can't compare cost, since I have not attempted FW, and don't know the cost involved.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 11-29-2006, 06:55 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to crazyred
Well, interesting thing about that is, I don't use buckets, and neither do most freshies with large tanks. Lots of use Pythons that hook up straight to the tap. We suck the water out in one direction and add straight back in the other adding the required number of dechlor drops while the new water goes in from the tap. No mixing, no measuring, no buckets. That, to me, is the biggest advantage to FW. I doubt that most SW folks can do that.

55 gal.FW: 4 platies, 3 angelfish, 3 Cochu's blue tetras, 2 Rummynose tetras, 4 A. cacatuoides, 1 A. trifasciata, 2 blue rams, 6 Von Rio tetras, 1 Queen Arabesque pleco

29 Gal. FW: 2 variatus platies, 6 cherry barbs, 10 harlequin rasboras, 1 opaline gourami, 1 hillstream loach, 1 Rio Jari pleco (L-316), 1 GBR

10 Gal. FW: 1 african clawed frog, 1 dwarf flame gourami

10 Gal. FW:tons of blue ram fry

(4) 2 Gal. FW: all four with male bettas
Old 11-29-2006, 07:02 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I agree, lots of us like to premix our SW to get our parameter as close to the tank's as possible.
This is my schedule:
Friday-add salt, water(I'm on on well water, so I don't have to use dechlor), heater, ph.
Sat-test salinity, adjust, if needed
Sunday-watch football, do tank maint, pull water into room, siphon out and pump new water in. So, for me, it's not super hard or time consuming. Probably takes about 15-20 minutes, total.
Thanks for clarifying the python PWC, I kind of wondered if you folks pre mixed or anything....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 11-29-2006, 08:31 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Re: Is SW more difficult than FW or simply more expensive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyred
For SW, I don't think most use tap water....RO must mixed with the salt to get the correct specific gravity and added very carefully.
I know nothing about FW so that is all Greek to me.
I hope it was all Greek to me too !! You see, Iīm Greek...
Old 11-29-2006, 09:38 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Kostonia, sorry if you know this already and I'm really sounding like a dork, but the saying "that's greek to me" simply means "I don't have a darn clue". Like trying to read a different language. But hey, I think you are the only Greek person on this board, so welcome!

I do not think sw tanks are harder to maintain than fw tanks at all. Once you figure out what you are doing, and if you do it right the first time, sw tanks are a nice self contained habitat. They require simply a water change atleast monthly to replace trace elements and lower nitrates, but the equipment is expensive. Where I dropped about $400 on my 55 fw tank, I've spent probably close to $1,500 on my 29 gallon sw tank. I also did things the expensive way, which I learned was not needed. I used live sand, bought the most expensive live rock, and corals are not cheap. A FOWLR tank can be done with little money and can be just as rewarding as a full reef tank.

Just my opinion of course. The people that have it worst are those planted tank people. With the measurments and the CO2 and all the monitoring that needs done. No thanks.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com