Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-27-2013, 02:48 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Appologise for butting in.....can u tell me if this different to a dwarf freshwater puffer?? Saw one in pet shop and was told they live in freshwater and grow to a max 2.5cms?! Have come to realise that my pet shop advice is not always the best....looking for confirmation please. Do u think they would eventually need brackish conditions?? Many thanks in advance would love to see your pics if possible?

Old 01-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #12
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktomminello View Post
I'm setting up my 29g BioCube and I am going to house my green spotted puffer in it

Everyone keeps on telling me that it's too small, that I should understand that my puffer can get to be over a foot, but a 40g tank is fine, but I need to think about whether I can fit him in a 30g (pretty much).

I research and research and research and I'm coming to the conclusion that anyone that tells me anything is guessing and that no one out there is actually raising green spotters!!

PROVE ME WRONG!!! I'M BEGGING YOU!!! Somebody show me a picture of one that is BIGGER THAN 5 INCHES!! Show me your 10 inch puffer (green spotted- I know most marine puffers are BIG, and I'm aware of how big fahakas get too).

Anyone want to show me why my BioCube is too small with a picture of a green spotted puffer that's too big for a 30g tank!!! Does anyone else have ANY experience with the marine gs puffer?! Is there any reason for me to believe that my almost one year old fish is gonna get much bigger than the 4 inches he already is?!

Sorry, this is more lashing out at the fact that every turn I make I get contradictory information and I'm frustrated at quarter past 2 in the morning still looking for answers, lol. Thanks for reading

Green Spotted Puffer Profile (TROPICAL FISH ARTICLES)

:whis tle:: whistle:

Old 01-27-2013, 03:19 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Post Freshwater dwarf "pea" puffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2me View Post
Appologise for butting in.....can u tell me if this different to a dwarf freshwater puffer?? Saw one in pet shop and was told they live in freshwater and grow to a max 2.5cms?! Have come to realise that my pet shop advice is not always the best....looking for confirmation please. Do u think they would eventually need brackish conditions?? Many thanks in advance would love to see your pics if possible?
I know most come from India and they're the only true freshwater puffer and they are tiny, but have all the attitude of their bigger cousins. Best kept alone or in larger aquariums can be kept in "schools". This is all the personal info I have and this is based on a friend of mine that has a 150g freshwater tank and he added 3, fell in love and got 4 more. I won't lie- there have been fights.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-12-12_18-56-02_696.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	147680   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-11-08_13-07-51_187.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	147681  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-01-14_16-25-01_691.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	147682  
Old 01-27-2013, 03:22 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cool Ha Ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54seaweed View Post
That's where I got my info from for the changeover that made me second guess and wonder about stunted growth!!!
Old 01-27-2013, 03:59 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mine were brackish.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:05 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:

I know most come from India and they're the only true freshwater puffer and they are tiny, but have all the attitude of their bigger cousins. Best kept alone or in larger aquariums can be kept in "schools". This is all the personal info I have and this is based on a friend of mine that has a 150g freshwater tank and he added 3, fell in love and got 4 more. I won't lie- there have been fights.
Thank u v much for info!! Loved the pics too. I had never seen such tiny fish as these little puffers in my pet shop today..about 1cm each if that!!! I was considering a species only tank (herd they are mean little dudes) how big a tank do u think for 2 or 3 if they only grow to 2.5cms eventually? They are £4 each if that helps (herd the true freshwater puffer are expensive??) great to have experienced people to help!!! Thanks again
Old 01-27-2013, 04:17 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm in the US, so I know my measurements are different. I believe a pair can be together in a 30g, but I'm not sure, like I said, my buddy has a 150g housing 7 and they are ok together, as for prices I haven't got a clue- liveaquaria has them for $5.99 US
Old 01-27-2013, 04:21 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161 View Post
Mine were brackish.
Cool, did they get big?
Old 01-27-2013, 04:24 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
I'm in the US, so I know my measurements are different. I believe a pair can be together in a 30g, but I'm not sure, like I said, my buddy has a 150g housing 7 and they are ok together, as for prices I haven't got a clue- liveaquaria has them for $5.99 US
Great! Now I just have to convince my husband that another tank is a good idea!
Old 01-27-2013, 04:32 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2me View Post
Great! Now I just have to convince my husband that another tank is a good idea!
Lol, you could always use the logical explanation of easier maintenance, less chemicals, less water change outs....

Tags
29 gallon, green spotted puffer fish, lack of information, saltwater puffer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com