Is there ANYBODY that can PROVE it?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ktomminello

Aquarium Advice Addict
:blink: I'm setting up my 29g BioCube and I am going to house my green spotted puffer in it :hide:

Everyone keeps on telling me that it's too small, that I should understand that my puffer can get to be over a foot, but a 40g tank is fine, but I need to think about whether I can fit him in a 30g (pretty much). :banghead:

I research and research and research and I'm coming to the conclusion that anyone that tells me anything is guessing and that no one out there is actually raising green spotters!!

PROVE ME WRONG!!! I'M BEGGING YOU!!! Somebody show me a picture of one that is BIGGER THAN 5 INCHES!! Show me your 10 inch :brows: puffer (green spotted- I know most marine puffers are BIG, and I'm aware of how big fahakas get too).

:nono::whistle:

Anyone want to show me why my BioCube is too small with a picture of a green spotted puffer that's too big for a 30g tank!!! Does anyone else have ANY experience with the marine gs puffer?! Is there any reason for me to believe that my almost one year old fish is gonna get much bigger than the 4 inches he already is?!

Sorry, this is more lashing out at the fact that every turn I make I get contradictory information and I'm frustrated at quarter past 2 in the morning still looking for answers, lol. Thanks for reading

:blink: I'm setting up my 29g BioCube and I am going to house my green spotted puffer in it :hide:

Everyone keeps on telling me that it's too small, that I should understand that my puffer can get to be over a foot, but a 40g tank is fine, but I need to think about whether I can fit him in a 30g (pretty much). :banghead:

I research and research and research and I'm coming to the conclusion that anyone that tells me anything is guessing and that no one out there is actually raising green spotters!!

PROVE ME WRONG!!! I'M BEGGING YOU!!! Somebody show me a picture of one that is BIGGER THAN 5 INCHES!! Show me your 10 inch :brows: puffer (green spotted- I know most marine puffers are BIG, and I'm aware of how big fahakas get too).

Anyone want to show me why my BioCube is too small with a picture of a green spotted puffer that's too big for a 30g tank!!! Does anyone else have ANY experience with the marine gs puffer?! Is there any reason for me to believe that my almost one year old fish is gonna get much bigger than the 4 inches he already is?!

Sorry, this is more lashing out at the fact that every turn I make I get contradictory information and I'm frustrated at quarter past 2 in the morning still looking for answers, lol. Thanks for reading

Your wrong! Don't do it! They need bigger tanks! Prove me wrong! I dare you! :)

Sorry it's early I just had to....

Seriously though. All I know is they can get 6" plus and me personally wouldn't put them in a 29 gallon bio cube. I have a BC29 I think it would be too small for them. Prove it? I can't.

I have a GSP tank but it was a 40 gallon breeder tank set up with a lot of plants.

So... That's all I can say. I went on what the size of the fish could get and what I thought would be a better home for them other then back out where they belong.

The Con

Its not something people can prove. If you buy a 6" nerf football, hold it in front of the biocube, and imagine it swimming around a tiny 29g biocube, then you would understand why a biocube is too small. If you have live rocks, then there will be even less swimming space. 40g breeder tank has a really good footprint for a GSP, which only reach 6-7inches in captivity.

+1 to the above

If you're referring to Tetraodon nigroviridis, commonly know as a green spotted puffer their max size is usually 6 inches in captivity.

I am also a member on a forum that specializes in puffers and that is where I began my saltwater venture when I went looking for information on a GSP. I have since changed my mind and am getting a toby puffer but I did learn quite a bit about them in the months I researched/prepared for one.

The fish may only get 6 inches in length but these fish also have decent girth to them as well. As someone mentioned, when full grown, their body is comparable to a nerf football swimming around. I could not imagine a puffer of that size thriving in just a 29 gallon especially if it is set up as full marine (which I believe is the best route for these fish-live rock just uses up so much space). The live rock wouldn't leave much room for this puffer at all. At full grown I'd imagine it could be difficult keeping water parameters in check with their large bioload in that little water volume as well.

While I was going to get a GSP I have a 60 gallon tank I purchased for the puffer to begin my journey in saltwater. (I do also have a 29 so I know what they are in size and in person). Even in the 60 gallon I wouldn't imagine it would be very easy for a full grown green spotted puffer to maneuver around the live rock needed for adequate filtration, more so because of the width of this tank. This wasn't as clear to me until I had my tank set up, live rock and all, when I was able to visualize it much better.

I believe the 40 gallon (breeder) would be a much better option both in space for the puffer and in controlling the waste from this puffer with the larger water volume. I was actually leaning towards setting up a 40 gallon but found the 60 on sale and went for it.

Your wrong! Don't do it! They need bigger tanks! Prove me wrong! I dare you! :)

Sorry it's early I just had to....

:) I love it!!! Lol- made my morning!!!

Terrence- you are a wealth of knowledge, especially when it comes to puffers and PERSONAL experiences, not just a wiki believer/ google plagerizer... I, lol, measured my sons Nerf for s(and) giggles- it's 9 inches long and 6 inches in the middle, so, having no life, I made a metal shell of the approximated calculations for a model and agree, when (if) he gets that size I'll already have a 40g breeder with a built in raised refugium- I started ordering lumber this morning for a diy sump/stand and reef 400W halide hanging light, luckily my hubby has an extra from his condensing of his greenhouse/ t8 actinic balist.... I was going to use it as an angler showcase, but I can definitely put that on hold and replan a puffer showcase... I just have a feeling his growth is stunted from not having a chance to 'grow up' in brackish- the more dirt I dig up the more I think I should've grown him to the 4 inches he is now before I changed him to full marine, but hind sight is 20/20. Oh- and I'm including his tail fin in the 4 inches, his body itself is probably 3 1/4 inches.

Also, so everyone knows- I am talking about the hn1 variation, bought from Walmart impulsively by my husband. Which there is apparently no information that can be PROVEN, it's all labeled 'SPECULATIVE' or UNKNOWN.

I'm going to just jump into it and ride it out. Once I have the hair algae removed from a couple of my rock rubble rocks I'm gonna run with it and I will post pics of him from time to time and you guys can judge for yourselves :)

MOVING A PUFFER IS LETHAL BY NET- USE AN ACRYLIC CUBE OF PROPER SIZE!! There I yelled it at myself ;)

I am always looking for personal experiences, because there is no absolute wrong or right in most new aquariums, we're all going through it together and whether it was a failure or a success it makes no difference to me- pm me if you're afraid of being judged, I'm just being real with myself and the rest of you that are reading, I just want to learn the most I can about experiences of those who have been through this already and to share what I have been through with those who started out like I did.

My 'friends' list is full of names of those that deserve great thanks, as do all of you sharing your personal knowledge, honestly, this is a MAJOR informational resource for me- when I can't make sense of something because parallels in biological research is inconclusive I come here because I can usually find somebody that has just gone through what I'm going through and they have either found a successful solution or those more experienced usually throw in some logical info that I can run with...

So, back to the meat of the thread, lol.... Nobody has a picture of their own full grown saltwater gs puffer?

Seriously though. All I know is they can get 6" plus and me personally wouldn't put them in a 29 gallon bio cube. I have a BC29 I think it would be too small for them. Prove it? I can't.

I have a GSP tank but it was a 40 gallon breeder tank set up with a lot of plants.

So... That's all I can say. I went on what the size of the fish could get and what I thought would be a better home for them other then back out where they belong.

The Con

Thanks con, is yours fresh salt or brackish? Curious

+1 to the above

If you're referring to Tetraodon nigroviridis, commonly know as a green spotted puffer their max size is usually 6 inches in captivity.

I am also a member on a forum that specializes in puffers and that is where I began my saltwater venture when I went looking for information on a GSP. I have since changed my mind and am getting a toby puffer but I did learn quite a bit about them in the months I researched/prepared for one.

The fish may only get 6 inches in length but these fish also have decent girth to them as well. As someone mentioned, when full grown, their body is comparable to a nerf football swimming around. I could not imagine a puffer of that size thriving in just a 29 gallon especially if it is set up as full marine (which I believe is the best route for these fish-live rock just uses up so much space). The live rock wouldn't leave much room for this puffer at all. At full grown I'd imagine it could be difficult keeping water parameters in check with their large bioload in that little water volume as well.

While I was going to get a GSP I have a 60 gallon tank I purchased for the puffer to begin my journey in saltwater. (I do also have a 29 so I know what they are in size and in person). Even in the 60 gallon I wouldn't imagine it would be very easy for a full grown green spotted puffer to maneuver around the live rock needed for adequate filtration, more so because of the width of this tank. This wasn't as clear to me until I had my tank set up, live rock and all, when I was able to visualize it much better.

I believe the 40 gallon (breeder) would be a much better option both in space for the puffer and in controlling the waste from this puffer with the larger water volume. I was actually leaning towards setting up a 40 gallon but found the 60 on sale and went for it.

My research started about a year ago, and yes, full marine, when fully grown or almost fully grown is the best set up, they will die within a couple years maximum in freshwater and once you hit the high end of brackish they won't 'snap out of it' until you bump salinity up to 1.021 at least. I learned this the hard way, this is where my stunted growth question surfaced. He was only an inch and a half when I turned him and his growth was fast in mid brackish, when I turned him salt he stopped growing for about a month and a half, he then hit a growth spurt which stopped at 4 inches, this is pretty close to maximum size in captivity...

Give him more time to grow, we cant rule out slower growth. 4inches is alright for the first 2-3 years. GSP are not fast growers.

You the man!!

Give him more time to grow, we cant rule out slower growth. 4inches is alright for the first 2-3 years. GSP are not fast growers.

Thank you!!! Would you think he'd be okay in my BC29 until he hits about 5 inches? That would give me a minimum of a year to set up my feature and refugium, and I know that he isn't a year old yet, when I got him he was about 1/4- 1/2 inch and wasn't there for more than an hour and a half (Walmart).

It's good to know that he's doing okay size wise for his age- I had him from fresh to salt in a month, which I now know isn't the greatest. It seems as though they are healthier and and more well adjusted when given 4-6 months in middle brackish and then they will go belly black as they need their salt/ ph buffered :banghead: If I had known this then I wouldn't be so stupidly obsessed about all of this now. Lol, I spent most of my life swearing I would never have a saltwater tank knowing it would consume me:oops:
(y):thanks:

Appologise for butting in.....can u tell me if this different to a dwarf freshwater puffer?? Saw one in pet shop and was told they live in freshwater and grow to a max 2.5cms?! Have come to realise that my pet shop advice is not always the best....looking for confirmation please. Do u think they would eventually need brackish conditions?? Many thanks in advance :) would love to see your pics if possible?

Green Spotted Puffer Profile (TROPICAL FISH ARTICLES)

:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:

Freshwater dwarf "pea" puffs

Appologise for butting in.....can u tell me if this different to a dwarf freshwater puffer?? Saw one in pet shop and was told they live in freshwater and grow to a max 2.5cms?! Have come to realise that my pet shop advice is not always the best....looking for confirmation please. Do u think they would eventually need brackish conditions?? Many thanks in advance :) would love to see your pics if possible?

:D I know most come from India and they're the only true freshwater puffer and they are tiny, but have all the attitude of their bigger cousins. Best kept alone or in larger aquariums can be kept in "schools". This is all the personal info I have and this is based on a friend of mine that has a 150g freshwater tank and he added 3, fell in love and got 4 more. I won't lie- there have been fights.

Attachments

• 2012-12-12_18-56-02_696.jpg
    2012-12-12_18-56-02_696.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 2012-11-08_13-07-51_187.jpg
    2012-11-08_13-07-51_187.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 2013-01-14_16-25-01_691.jpg
    2013-01-14_16-25-01_691.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 81
:D I know most come from India and they're the only true freshwater puffer and they are tiny, but have all the attitude of their bigger cousins. Best kept alone or in larger aquariums can be kept in "schools". This is all the personal info I have and this is based on a friend of mine that has a 150g freshwater tank and he added 3, fell in love and got 4 more. I won't lie- there have been fights.

Thank u v much for info!! Loved the pics too. I had never seen such tiny fish as these little puffers in my pet shop today..about 1cm each if that!!! I was considering a species only tank (herd they are mean little dudes) how big a tank do u think for 2 or 3 if they only grow to 2.5cms eventually? They are £4 each if that helps (herd the true freshwater puffer are expensive??) great to have experienced people to help!!! Thanks again

I'm in the US, so I know my measurements are different. I believe a pair can be together in a 30g, but I'm not sure, like I said, my buddy has a 150g housing 7 and they are ok together, as for prices I haven't got a clue- liveaquaria has them for $5.99 US

I'm in the US, so I know my measurements are different. I believe a pair can be together in a 30g, but I'm not sure, like I said, my buddy has a 150g housing 7 and they are ok together, as for prices I haven't got a clue- liveaquaria has them for $5.99 US

Great! Now I just have to convince my husband that another tank is a good idea! :)

Back
Top Bottom