Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-06-2011, 12:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Joyler
It' an Edmonds kinda day!

So I hail from the Seattle area, and live in a small city just north of the metro area...as many people know, the ports in and around Seattle and fishing are two of it's major contributions to the US, and even the world (the others being lumber and computer technologies)! Anywho...I was out on a walk the other day, and I thought it would be cool to post the things I see.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:26 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

On this walk, like many of them, I went to the Edmonds water front. This body of water is called the Puget Sound, and is the major artery of the beautiful northwest! (sorry to seem like I'm dumbing it down a lot...I'm just very proud of the northwest, and want people to get a full picture)

The first three pics are
A) a starfish that was caught on the mud flats...there are many colors here! This deep purple, there are bright oranges, and pinks as well
B) an egg collar of a moon snail...it is sand from the sound floor, that is slimed together, and eggs are deposited! At low tide they are EVERYWHERE!!
C) i believe is a dungenous (sp?) crab! When I saw him he was upside down being attacked by a seagull, so I chased the gull away and flipped him back over...this is a picture of him digging back down into the sand...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1656982097.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	39390   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4272874956.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	39391  

Name:	image-4190778208.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	39392  

Old 06-06-2011, 12:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

In this set of three:

A) I know its gross, but it startled me cuz I wasnt watching where I was walking, and almost stepped on it! Lol...it's the head of a Ling Cod...it is a rather large temperate salt water fish, that loves hangin out under the fishing wharves and kelp fields we have here in the northwest...btw, his spine was coming out the back...yuck!
B & C) is the a fish at slightly different angles! I'm not sure what he is...I'll do some research and get back to you on this...but man was he fast!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1122115206.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	39393   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2100111276.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	39394  

Name:	image-4276527016.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	39395  
Old 06-06-2011, 12:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

A) Our most prized National symbol...the Bald Eagle!! I know the picture is terrible (stupid iPhone camera), but this most majestic and proud bird is absolutely stunning, and the fun thing to watch is when one flies over head...everyone stops what they are doing and watches it til it disappears...it doesn't matter how many times you've seen one! This bird is beautiful, and in the northwest we are blessed with a large population!! I took this picture from the tide flat about 50 yards away...for those not from around the US, don't even think about hunting it! they are protected by our federal government...aka you will go to jail, and you will be fined $1,000,000!! Seriously!
B) is going to take a bit of explaining...lol!! In the Pacific Northwest salmon is a major life force! It provides food, and also money (being a major export) for us...anyways...the partial square is a holding pen for around 30,000 coho smolt (bigger than fry smaller than adult)...these salmon were brought here from my actual hometown of Issaquah, where we actually have a festival celebrating the return of salmon to our streams, and are held here for a 6 month process known as imprinting...the idea is to ingrain the "smell" of this particular part of the sound, so they return to the area and provide the fishermen with food...it is believed that salmon can smell the difference in water and that is how they know where to return to spawn! Salmon always go back to the river system they were born in, to breed...the thing next to the pen, is a male California Sealion...in the Puget Sound all California Sealions are males (not sure why) he was relaxing under the fishing pier I was standing on! Needless to say, a lot of the fishermen were upset he was there!!
C) is another shot of the Sealion they are also protected by state and federal law, but the fine is not even close to that of our National treasure!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1725602517.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	39396   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-539377877.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	39397  

Name:	image-2026840023.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	39398  
Old 06-06-2011, 01:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Gotta love cold water. The people who make Puget Sound aquaria are lucky indeed :P

I run electrical appliances underwater and enjoy injecting things with Kalk filled syringes.
Sarcothelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:21 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Haha oh my goodness! Someone actually read this thread?! Or at least looked at the terrible pictures! yay!!
Old 06-06-2011, 04:46 PM   #7

Awesome wildlife.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:50 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan5359
Awesome wildlife.
Ya, I've never seen a sea lion so close (except in an aquarium)...they are usually out in the middle of the sound chillin on buoys ...
Old 06-06-2011, 09:37 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Another delightful walk today!

A) this is how you can tell a Moon Snail got to a shell fish! The hole near the "hinge" is where the moon snail injects digestive juices, that either liquify the shell fish allowing it to be eaten through the hole, or it kills the shell fish so the hinge opens, and becomes clam served chilled on a half shell

B) is a moon snail shell! This is what produces the "egg collar" a few posts back, and liquifies many a clam! I believe they can get to be the size of an American Softball, but I usually see them at about the size of a baseball, or for you United Kingdom folk, about the size of a Cricket ball

C) is how you can tell a moon snail has been eaten by a seagull! Lol...that is the northwest's most common species of Gull...it is called a Glaucous-winged gull! They are very common, and considered pesky by most residents, but I love the contrast of the grey wing on the white body, with the yellow beak and red spot...the fun part is watching them eat invertebrates! It usually requires a few short flights that climb very quickly with said invert in mouth and a release of said invert to smash on rocks, on the beach bellow very funny!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2330519253.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	39450   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3730326839.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	39451  

Name:	image-919229488.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	39453  
Old 06-06-2011, 09:46 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

A) these two were instigating each other, so I decided to chase them away, and find out what they were eating... And it turned out to

B) the carcass of a ratfish! I thought they swim a little deeper than a gull could dive, but I could obviously be wrong of course I left the scene and they came back to finish their meal...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2055309232.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	39457   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3455994725.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	39458  

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com