Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-23-2008, 01:53 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Happy has it. Very hard water with deposits. My water tests at 27 degrees of hardness. I never have to worry about my pH bottoming out as long as I keep up maintenance. I do, however, have to scrape deposits off the tank weekly. We are trying to get rid of all of the air stones because of the deposits that land on the top of the tank. But since we have canisters, we're hesitant. My 55 gal dosn't have an air stone and it's doing quite well, but I'm nervous about attempting removal on the 150.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:47 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to marchmaxima
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygirl65 View Post
I was excited and was sharing with my MIL about everything....she said she had never heard of that and swore up and down that her tanks didn't go through a cycle. We went round and round in circles where she just claimed that her water was just so perfect that it didn't need to go though any of that.
Now that sounds familiar! I had a similar round and round in circles conversation with my mother.

marchmaxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:48 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to marchmaxima
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygirl65 View Post
Very very hard water. Mineral content very high.....ie....liquid rock.
Thank you! I learned something today.
marchmaxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:23 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchmaxima View Post
Thank you! I learned something today.
me too
Old 08-24-2008, 10:51 AM   #15

Send a message via AIM to MichaelsLilGray Send a message via Yahoo to MichaelsLilGray
My mom has kept around 15 fish.. tetra pleco's, you know that sorta thing in a 20 gallon since i was small. in 1980 they established the tank by putting water in it and throwing fish in it. we have moved 4 times in the last 25 years to my knoledge.. and that is as close to a pwc as that tank has came to LOL. She would put the tank to 1/3 so we could move the tank. when we got it to were it was going, she would fill it up.. and never look back ROFLMAO. she fed them every 3days or so.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:31 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelsLilGray View Post
My mom has kept around 15 fish.. tetra pleco's, you know that sorta thing in a 20 gallon since i was small. in 1980 they established the tank by putting water in it and throwing fish in it. we have moved 4 times in the last 25 years to my knoledge.. and that is as close to a pwc as that tank has came to LOL. She would put the tank to 1/3 so we could move the tank. when we got it to were it was going, she would fill it up.. and never look back ROFLMAO. she fed them every 3days or so.
She must have had some major anerobic pockets eating up the nitrates...unless she just goes through lots of fish.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:38 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

My mom had a betta in like a 2gallon vase. She left it at my sisters house when she moved and it didn't get fed for 2months and the water did not get changed It was still alive. My mom finally started to feed it and it lived quite a while after that Until I told her to use Aquasafe to treat the water since she was just using untreated tap then it died.

My Father in law dropped about 20 goldfish in a small backyard pond about 75 gallons or less. He feeds them flake every few days and never changes the water ever. The made it threw a winter in single digit temperatures with just 1 aquarium heater. They are all now over 8 inches He even has a Pleco in their that is thriving. its been 3years now And all is still alive.

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com