It's NEW BETTA DAY!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is my betta Aeneas, the picture isn't very good but he is red with black outlines, has blue eyes and a blue strip down the top of his back.

image-2885157810.jpg

I dunno anything about burns on his gills. I would guess keep the water quality great and warm and he will perk up. The bubble nest is a good sign I think. Does he have a place to hide? mine has a cave and his log and like them quite a bit but then I am not sure they all like them.

Hopefully someone more experienced than I will chime in. If you are talking about that darker coloring around his gills mine has that too. It pops out when he flares up.

@JryanM Aeneas is pretty I love the red.

Yeah- the dark gill color is what they said may be ammonia burns. He has driftwood that he can hide under and I saw him hiding under an Anubias leaf. I think he'll be ok. I'll top off the tank a little when I get home later and see if he is interested in a blood worm snack. :)

My betta gup used to spend much of his time on the castle but recently he sends the days sitting next to my filter motor on the corner. He is still social with the other fish but only retreats to the castle at night to sleep. Is this normal or should I be worried?

Thread moved to aquaria off-topic and off topic posts removed.

Bearchumjs - his gills look fine to me. I have multiple betas with dark coloring on their gills.

Austrent - Check the filters not too strong for him. They will hide where the flow is less to sleep.

Last edited:
Mumma.of.two said:
Thread moved to aquaria off-topic and off topic post removed.

I figured this would happen when people continually posted on things other than what I posted in my original posting... This thread was about my betta Jitterbug and not about bettas in general.

Last edited by a moderator:
maestromad said:
Hey ocminpin - how is jitterbug doing? Settled in well?

He's doing well... Very happy boy... Comes to the front of the tank to see me immediately when he sees me or the back of the tank if I'm doing dishes in the kitchen... I can see him
From both sides.
I'm in the process of designing his tank in my head... A specific New brighter gravel and CFL bulbs... Then ordering live plants for him... And make him his little Betta Paradise :)

Be sure to give him shade when you first up the brightness, my beta had a hard time at first and I didn't have any floating plants for him to hide in. He adjusted though and likes his new light just as much as the old now. :)

Maxkolbe said:
Be sure to give him shade when you first up the brightness, my beta had a hard time at first and I didn't have any floating plants for him to hide in. He adjusted though and likes his new light just as much as the old now. :)

I'm thinking Java Moss to float? Or what floating plant do you suggest?

If floats java moss would work, I have dwarf water lettuce but basically anything that gives shade will work. Like I said he'll probably adjust so it doesn't have to be permanent. :)

Maxkolbe said:
If floats java moss would work, I have dwarf water lettuce but basically anything that gives shade will work. Like I said he'll probably adjust so it doesn't have to be permanent. :)

I'm looking at Many different types of plants to add... This will be my first planted tank, so I need a little help.. :)
Water lettuce may be more visually appealing, right?

I'm glad he's doing well. I have Indian fern in my tank (I think that's what it is!) and my betta sleeps at the bottom of it. I also have some crypts in there and they seem easy to keep

I have lemon Bacopa and Anubias in my betta tank. They are really easy. I have water wisteria, argentine swords, ludwigia palustrus and micro sword in my 55. They seem pretty easy too but I need to find my root tabs because I think they would benefit from it.

I'm looking at Many different types of plants to add... This will be my first planted tank, so I need a little help.. :)
Water lettuce may be more visually appealing, right?
Water lettuce is a bit more visually appealing, but it does require a bit more care than others. You must have medium lighting and a fertilizer, such as Seachem Flourish. Some have said you need CO2 supplementation, but this is unconfirmed.

Is Seachem Flourish in a bottle with the other bottles of Prime? Do I just add to water? No harm to my fish or the Mystery Snail I want to add....?

ocminpin said:
Is Seachem Flourish in a bottle with the other bottles of Prime? Do I just add to water? No harm to my fish or the Mystery Snail I want to add....?

Yep, it's just another bottle amidst the other bottles of seachem's. Follow the directions on bottle and it will tell you how to dose it. I don't think it will harm anything, but check with someone with more experience with this product on that.

Back
Top Bottom