Jamaica Vacation Pictures ... and Wedding!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Melissamustang said:
I saw all of those wonderful pictures! You too are so beautiful! So what was your favorite and worst experience?

How long was the plane ride? Was the food there different? Anything really good tasting? Ok sorry all the questions......

Favorite Experience - Climbing the Dunns River Falls .... really amazing!

http://www.dunnsriverja.com/

Worst Experience - The Catamaran ride to the falls ... the weather was kinda nasty and we were sailing through NO LIE ... 20 foot swells!!

The plane ride from Florida is only 1 hour and 20 minutes.

The local food is different, a lot of fish, Jerk Chicken and Pork! One of the local favorites is Ackee and Saltfish, I only tried a little and didn't really like it that much! My favorite had to be the Escovietched Snapper with Pigeon Peas and Rice or the Conch and Lima Beans, MMMMMMMMM!!!!

I was in Jamaica (Riu Ochu Rios) for a wedding in November, got to go snorkelling, but I didn't bring any gear and couldn't stay out long (size 9 flipper on my size 13 flipper).

Very friendly people. (and there were 4-5 weddings / day where we were.)

Congrats. (does she still want a honeymoon :S)

Congratulations on your marriage. You two make a beautiful couple and thanks for sharing the pics. It's winter up here so it is nice to view a warm tropical place.

Good luck. Hope you are more successful at marriage than your football team is at winning. :lol: My wife made me say that.

I recognize that resort. Was there this past July. Fun place, but the disco wasn't too good after the entertainment. Great food and fun people. The wife loved the piano bar and pool spot. And of course the late, late night viddles in the grill shack nearby.

Liked it so much there, we went to the new resort next door in December, the Riu. You're right about the countryside, looking at the variety of homes and disparity of wealth. I was spellbound on the ride back and forth from the airport. And just think, kids in school year round and in uniforms.

Dunns River Falls is such a beautiful place, but the "gauntlet" of vendors while trying to exit was kinda funky at times. I'd still do it again though. Did you make it to the "fence" on the beach? Another adventure.

Many congrats on the union!

Very cool that you know exactly what it was like. The Disco was absolutely horrific, we went one night with 3 other couples and were the only ones in there! The Piano Bar was our favorite as well ... we stayed up until 2am singing almost every night!! And yes who can deny the late night munchies at the grill shack .... MMMMM MMMMM GOOD!

I have heard The Riu is not that great compared to the Sandals Resorts. We met many people that said if they come back they will stay at Sandals instead.

When we went to Dunns River Falls we skipped right through the vendors unnoticed, which is amazing because they were everywhere! Ahhhh yes "the Fence" we got hastled everyday we went to the watersports area ... Hey Lady Lemme Braid your hair, Hey Mon you need some shirts, hats, keychains, necklaces, earings, cigars ... etc.

Whatever you need they had, no joke! It was like Jamaica Wal-Mart! LOL

The Riu has kids first of all. Haven't been to one without mine before. The RIU was really laid out nice and the disco was jumping EVERY night (Wed thru Sat) we were there.

The only problem I had with the RIU was the food. They havent figured out how to keep stuff hot yet in the a la carte places. The reservation spots were also dissapointing. The Riu drinks were REALLY short on booze, but they had no problems with doubles.

Did they have the beach party/dinner while you were there? Roasted pig and all? That was good.

Oh yeah .... every Monday and Thursday, the restaraunts closed down and the Pig Roast was on!!! I stuck with mainly local dishes ... Escovietch Snapper, Conch and Lima Beans, and Cracked Conch.

What I liked about Sandals is NO KIDS!! Couples only resort catered to adults. The bartenders were very nice at Sandals and would make the drinks just right ... I enjoyed a drink called "Malibu Boy" ... very good!!!

And same thing with Sandals and the a la carte places, the food was cold as soon as it hit your plate! Kind of disappointing.

I have some pictures of the roof of sandals, when I was at the Riu it was under renovation, I assume it's better now.

The RIU (ochu rios) is nice, food was good (albeit cold at times). and watch out for those meat hooks on the floor (storm screen anchors) I had my foot gashed on one 2 days into our vacation. 1" right between the toes.. The nurse/carpenter there is nice (it was a joke since it was a male nurse)...

When we went down they were only open for 1 week, so massively under their persons limit of 1600 or so (I think there were 400 when we got there, 1800 when we left) so things started off great but you start noticing the lack of washrooms and organization as the place fills up...

I'll have to try Sandals out next time.. But next time will probably be the Mayan Riviera.

and the guantlet out of Dunns is not my thing, I probably would have bought something had they not been so pushy..

Yeah Sandals was closed I think when I was at Riu in December.

Wiz, I think Mexico water is too chilly for me in the winter. Jamaica water was good. Of course Mexico has the better scuba and snorkelling waters hands down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom