Job at an aquarium!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pattyfurg

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just recently got a job at an aquarium and I'm so exited!!
I just want to know what kind of questions I will be asked because I know EVERYTHING about bettas and I'm pretty knowledgeable with discus it's just all the other fish that I need to know about.

The big thing is teach the nitrogen cycle and learn temperements and tank requirements. The rest can/should be left on the customer to do further research really...

What were the qualifications needed to be hired by this store? Just curious. I gotta feeling that you loving bettas mixed with the fact that they are sold in cups at stores wont end well...

If you got hired, you must have been qualified I'm guessing, therefore, you probably know z lot of what you need to know. But things I would know are:
All types of fish the store sells along with temperament, compatibility ect.
Treating ich and other common diseases
Nitrogen cycle: both fish less and fish in
What the products the store sells are for. What is needed, what is not
Getting rid of algae
Know about live plants, corals, ect.
Lastly, know how to tie the fish bags really really fast lol

Then I think you'll be set. This was just the stuff I heard being asked as I was in the fish store, and probably are pretty common

I think practicing diplomacy and tact will be essential(I'm sure you have both!) to giving salient advice that may or may not contradict either the store's policies on issues (stocking, tank size, compatibility) or contradict what consumers believe.

I find that some employees forget to walk that line! If you throw out opinions as facts, you easily rub people the wrong way, both boss and customer. You can however, suggest things very clearly, and allow customers to use the information as they choose.

Above all, don't get jaded and cop an attitude with anyone, you only make yourself burn out. I bet you will love everyday at work if you "don't let the bast*rds get you down".

Best fishes!

Nothing I like more than going into a fish store, asking something easy such as "Do you have any kuhli loaches in?" and being met with a blank stare or a shoulder shrug.

So I'd say learn the stock of what they have, where it is and what it can go with.

Don't overwhelm customers with info when they ask. Be short and sweet and make sure you are correct. If they want to disagree, let them. Don't argue. Smile and let it go.

I'd wonder if the store would let you create an "information center". You could put flyers of fish in and fishless cycling and why it is important. Maybe have some flyers on species people commonly buy (like goldfish and bala sharks) that will get too big for 10 gallon aquariums. Have a flyer about tank maintenance, and one on how to treat things like Ich and other things of that sort. Like the other comment said, do some research on what fish the store sells so you know their requirents. I know most people say that a fish store will sell you anything because you will just come back and buy more stuff when all your fish die because you have no clue what you are doing and that's good for business, but I think if a fish store has knowledgable employees that can inform customers on what their fish needs then that customer will certainly come back for the things they want to buy.

I'm sorry, but you will probably sell many betta's along with those betta bowls and tiny box aquariums. :(

On the plus side- store discounts on fish supplies! (I hope!!)

Thank you for your help guys!!! That was the best day ever!
I brought home 5 Bettas that they were going to kill because they were a bit lethargic -.-
I can tell I'm going to need some more tanks XP
I had to sell a Betta to a man that wanted it in a bowl but I managed to add a heater, water conditioner and some good food ^.^
First day AMAZING! haha being payed to do what I love! Talk about fish hehe

Hehe 5 new bettas?? Omg I hope u work part time ;) jk. They are some lucky fish, u can resale them to good homes when healthy again like a rescue operation.

Or... You can start some DIY tank barracks and make a wall of bettas at home. Heaven!

marsh said:
Hehe 5 new bettas?? Omg I hope u work part time ;) jk. They are some lucky fish, u can resale them to good homes when healthy again like a rescue operation.

Or... You can start some DIY tank barracks and make a wall of bettas at home. Heaven!

A wall of betta's would look so cool! Lol!

Reading through the above comments, great advice has been given. Here is my 2 cents. Costumers will buy what they want( 1/2gallon betta bowl , ect) but you can try to GENTLY persuade them not to and to get at least a 5 gallon instead. Just be nice, know what your talking about and yes, be prepared to deal with 'those' customers. Good luck. .

Lol
I'm actually already making one of them XP
I ordered a book shelf and I'm going to cut my own glass and everything.
It's mostly for when I get back to breeding and stuff but I can use it for those bettas too XP

Back
Top Bottom