Job search in aquariums industry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NJGourami

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is there any way to make money and still be involved ins aquariums. Fish stores dont turn a good profit. Seems like making custom aquariums would be the only way. Any ideas?

Setting up tanks and maintaining them would be a great business to start. I have a few friends that do it.

I will do it if i can come up with a way to deferentiate myself from all the other people who do this. Any thoughts?

Hmmm, maybe get a lawyer and set up some maint contracts. Will you specialize in SW or FW or both. Find out what the others do and do it better, add extra perqs, be available more often. I imagine most folks have a full time or part time job and only can work with their customers on weekends (at least that what my friends do). Talk to customers in your LFS or see if you can set up something with your LFS to at least get you started...

I would specialize in freshwater tanks. However thats limiting and would get a partner who knows about salt water so that there is an expert in each area. What types of service do you think are expected of someone who makes you a custom tank, sets it up, and maintains it? what would in your opinion be above and beyond?

If I were you, I would first research your competition by emailing or calling in as a customer, that way you can ask questions without looking like a potential threat. Also understand that competition brings in more business for all...

That sounds great but you didn't answer my question. I will call them and play pretend hwoever I would like to know what you think I could do to differentiate myself...

How would anyone know how to differentiate themselves if you have no idea what services the competition is providing and at what cost? Your first step is to begin a business plan, then market research the surrounding areas.

I agree....Sorry for the slow response, imagine, being at work and having to do something! LOL!

I think the best way to make money working with aquariums would be to work at a local aquarium. Then get a significant other that makes big bucks to pay for your personal hobby at home.

First off that was a lot of fun. They seem walk you through the process. You know find out what you want and how to get it and then they use a manufaturer to make the tank and also to make the furniture. They seem to outsource everything. They also dont install, stock with fish, set up, or maintain.

Back
Top Bottom