Jobs Related to Aquaria?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brilliant_Barbs_21

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello everybody! Like everybody else on this forum, I am slightly addicted to fish keeping. :) well anyways, I'm 13 years old, but not just any 13 year old. I actually research and spend time paying attention to details. My aquascaping has to be perfect, I ALWAYS cycle, I don't overstock, and I always give time to my little fish! :) so anyways, does anybody have any ideas for something that I can do to make some money involving aquaria? I obviously can't work anywhere yet, but I need money to run all of my tanks! Any suggestions would be appreciated! =D

That's a great suggestion. You could start with people you and your family already know and offer to take care of tanks while people are away. You could also offer to help set up tanks, or to do regular routine care. It's a great way to be entrepreneurial about something you enjoy, especially at such a young age. Your knowledge and maturity will really help. Good luck!

Also, don't underestimate the value of volunteering. If you could volunteer a few times a month at your local aquarium store, or with your biology teacher, or at any other facility near you that has a focus on aquaria/marine life, that can bring you valuable experience to put on your resume and can, sometimes, lead to jobs later down the road. And you can learn so much! You can really use your enthusiasm here. At the very least, let your local aquarium store know about your interest and what you want to do as it could lead to something in the future.

you can try to breed and sell on Aquabid or other sites. You'd have to put some money into start up, like grow outs and then shipping supplies, but once you get those basic costs started you can earn a decent amount. You would also need a paypal account, but you can get a paypal prepaid card from dollar general (or another similar store) and they have ways to link it to the account so you become verified and then they can send you another card later on that's actually linked straight to your account instead of withdrawling the money into another card..

That's what I've been doing to help me through cos. school. Just make sure that they are fish people actually really want.

you can try to breed and sell on Aquabid or other sites. You'd have to put some money into start up, like grow outs and then shipping supplies, but once you get those basic costs started you can earn a decent amount. You would also need a paypal account, but you can get a paypal prepaid card from dollar general (or another similar store) and they have ways to link it to the account so you become verified and then they can send you another card later on that's actually linked straight to your account instead of withdrawling the money into another card..

That's what I've been doing to help me through cos. school. Just make sure that they are fish people actually really want.
I agree. You could start out with easy breeders like livebearers and go from there. I am currently raising guppy fry to trade to my lfs for store credit. This is also good experience and great starting point to go onto breeding bigger and more difficult/expensive fish. The volunteering at a lfs is also a great idea. Might not seem so good financially at the start but it's great experience and in the future could lead to some good opportunities. I'm gonna use the credit to cover my costs for food, fish etc....

Well what fish would you recommend? I have a pretty limited space, but not totally limited. I have an empty 10 gallon with all supplies and a 20 gallon that's a bit understocked and would be fine to house around 3 more fish (depending on size) I also have a 10 gallon, but it doesn't have a heater, filter, or anything! It's just empty! What fish would be good for this situation? I've heard of a few saltwater fish, but freshwater might be a bit easier in my case. Whatever's best!

Well what fish would you recommend? I have a pretty limited space, but not totally limited. I have an empty 10 gallon with all supplies and a 20 gallon that's a bit understocked and would be fine to house around 3 more fish (depending on size) I also have a 10 gallon, but it doesn't have a heater, filter, or anything! It's just empty! What fish would be good for this situation? I've heard of a few saltwater fish, but freshwater might be a bit easier in my case. Whatever's best!
You could go with guppies. 3f/1m in the 20g and use the 10g for the fry. I'm not sure what price you'd be able to sell the fry for but they are super easy to breed and it could be a good starting point. You could then use the profit to invest back into your breeding project.....

Hmm, I'd buy a heater if possible and cycle that spare 10...then get either a trio or two pair of some good quality guppies (something desireable, not the normal type from pet stores) or get some endlers, tigers go for about $20 for 2 pair and N class go for about the same. Depending on the type of guppy, some can go for as high as 100 for 2 pairs.

Hmm, I'd buy a heater if possible and cycle that spare 10...then get either a trio or two pair of some good quality guppies (something desireable, not the normal type from pet stores) or get some endlers, tigers go for about $20 for 2 pair and N class go for about the same. Depending on the type of guppy, some can go for as high as 100 for 2 pairs.

That's what I was going to reccomend. Buy some good quality live bearers.

Back
Top Bottom