Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-27-2008, 12:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to intimatecple
Question Just Curious

Why do people ask for help and when any alarming number of people give the same advice....these people do exactly what they want to do which always seems to be the unadvised way to do things. I hope this is written politically correct as I do not want to offend anyone...more a general question.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I understand where you are coming from exactly. I often give advice to posters that ask questions in areas that I am familiar in and let them know I have experience in these areas. So what do they do? They completely ignore any good advice given by anyone (not just me) and they listen to the people with little experience and they except what other people have heard and they fail to take the advice of experts/knowledegable individuals. It's both funny and sad at the same time to see them come back a little later on and say "this happened" and I want to say "I told you so" but what's the point? These are the same people that will never learn in the hobby, will get frustrated, and will quit. This hobby is about learning and though much is learned by firsthand experience and making your own mistakes, a great deal can be learned from the mistakes/experience of others. This can save someone money, time and grief/frustration. Still, they often fail to except useful help of others. it's al part of the hobby I suppose. Live and learn.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to intimatecple
I read alot and may not give too much in the way of advice but I see thread after thread of people just saying ..."well I did this instead"...yet I go through the thread and see nothing of the sort being said to do or I see the opposite being done. I have to give credit to all the folks here who can come back and try to help a 2nd and 3rd time. this is why I like this site so much....The generosity of others is outstanding here!!!
Old 10-27-2008, 01:56 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ill tell you what, if it werent for this forum id have alot of dead fish and would have probably gotton out of the hobby. I get such good advice that i wont even buy a $2 item without coming to ask what others from the forum think of it.
Not to sound like a cheerleader or anything, but as long as i can be a part of the hobby, ill be a part of AA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIftOkWbLWo
rob28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:02 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

on the other hand, you do ultimatley have to make the decision for yourself. if you decide to take the advice and it works, great. if you dont take it and its an, "i told you so", situation, learn from it.
i personally take advice given and inject my own thoughts on it and apply it. like i said, that person has to ultimatley make a decision.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:13 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

It really needs to be a decision based on two things. One being advice that others give because most times it`s based on experience. Someone might have been through something already that might save you some time and money. Also and just as important is your own personal research. This will help you to make a good educated choice. You do both of these then you should be OK.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 03:07 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I agree, it also seems to depend on maturity level or the ability to LISTEN to advice. Sometimes it is hard to heed the advice of faceless folks on the internet as opposed to a person in a LFS that may or may not really know what they are talking about.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 04:19 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Very true. Most of us that offer advice have been there and done that. We have already made the mistakes. It as Roka said is sometimes tough to take the advice of someone you don't know. I think if people keep in mind that we don't get paid and have nothing to gain they will realize that we are just offering ideas and advice to better their aquariums.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 04:24 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

There is no single way of doing something correctly in this hobby, which causes great confusion to new aquarists. There are very few experts, but many knowledgeable people who are willing to help others on top of their regular work schedules, yet ask for nothing in return. You know what they say, "everyone has an opinion," so it is up to the individual to decipher which path(s) they must follow in order to reach their personal goal. As Melosu stated, one's best attribute in having "success" is personal research; Never accepting a narrowed mindset, always indulging in unbound imagination. Take into account of what others have done and follow in their footsteps, but when you deem the time is right do not be afraid to carve your own path. We all learn by the mistakes we make. It is the nature of the beast; We are here to exchange our knowledge on a worldwide database along with proposing our theories and ideologies, yet restraining from forceful and potentially negative implications. We can advise, we cannot enforce our will.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:44 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

well said

Tags
rio

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com