Just Curious

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

intimatecple

Aquarium Advice Freak
Why do people ask for help and when any alarming number of people give the same advice....these people do exactly what they want to do which always seems to be the unadvised way to do things. I hope this is written politically correct as I do not want to offend anyone...more a general question.

I understand where you are coming from exactly. I often give advice to posters that ask questions in areas that I am familiar in and let them know I have experience in these areas. So what do they do? They completely ignore any good advice given by anyone (not just me) and they listen to the people with little experience and they except what other people have heard and they fail to take the advice of experts/knowledegable individuals. It's both funny and sad at the same time to see them come back a little later on and say "this happened" and I want to say "I told you so" but what's the point? These are the same people that will never learn in the hobby, will get frustrated, and will quit. This hobby is about learning and though much is learned by firsthand experience and making your own mistakes, a great deal can be learned from the mistakes/experience of others. This can save someone money, time and grief/frustration. Still, they often fail to except useful help of others. it's al part of the hobby I suppose. Live and learn.

I read alot and may not give too much in the way of advice but I see thread after thread of people just saying ..."well I did this instead"...yet I go through the thread and see nothing of the sort being said to do or I see the opposite being done. I have to give credit to all the folks here who can come back and try to help a 2nd and 3rd time. this is why I like this site so much....The generosity of others is outstanding here!!!

Ill tell you what, if it werent for this forum id have alot of dead fish and would have probably gotton out of the hobby. I get such good advice that i wont even buy a $2 item without coming to ask what others from the forum think of it.
Not to sound like a cheerleader or anything, but as long as i can be a part of the hobby, ill be a part of AA.

on the other hand, you do ultimatley have to make the decision for yourself. if you decide to take the advice and it works, great. if you dont take it and its an, "i told you so", situation, learn from it.
i personally take advice given and inject my own thoughts on it and apply it. like i said, that person has to ultimatley make a decision.

It really needs to be a decision based on two things. One being advice that others give because most times it`s based on experience. Someone might have been through something already that might save you some time and money. Also and just as important is your own personal research. This will help you to make a good educated choice. You do both of these then you should be OK.

I agree, it also seems to depend on maturity level or the ability to LISTEN to advice. Sometimes it is hard to heed the advice of faceless folks on the internet as opposed to a person in a LFS that may or may not really know what they are talking about.

Very true. Most of us that offer advice have been there and done that. We have already made the mistakes. It as Roka said is sometimes tough to take the advice of someone you don't know. I think if people keep in mind that we don't get paid and have nothing to gain they will realize that we are just offering ideas and advice to better their aquariums.

There is no single way of doing something correctly in this hobby, which causes great confusion to new aquarists. There are very few experts, but many knowledgeable people who are willing to help others on top of their regular work schedules, yet ask for nothing in return. You know what they say, "everyone has an opinion," so it is up to the individual to decipher which path(s) they must follow in order to reach their personal goal. As Melosu stated, one's best attribute in having "success" is personal research; Never accepting a narrowed mindset, always indulging in unbound imagination. Take into account of what others have done and follow in their footsteps, but when you deem the time is right do not be afraid to carve your own path. We all learn by the mistakes we make. It is the nature of the beast; We are here to exchange our knowledge on a worldwide database along with proposing our theories and ideologies, yet restraining from forceful and potentially negative implications. We can advise, we cannot enforce our will.

I know that before I found AA (LOL) I had done my own research and was able to barely keep a FOWLR tank up and running with little problems but no beauty to it. Once I found AA (LOL) I have been able to see much better results and a new desire to have a great looking setup and move onto a show tank instead of the tank in the corner. This has all been due to the Advice combined with my own research on that advice. This would probably not be the case if I did not follow and/or research this advice I was given. I guess I really just want to thank all the people who give out this VERY VERY VALUABLE ADVICE!! because you have helped with questions that I have not yet asked but others have .... I HAVE LEARNED SOMETHING EVERYDAY HERE AT AA. NOW GET OUT AND VOTEFOR AA AquaRank.com

Why do people ask for help and when any alarming number of people give the same advice....these people do exactly what they want to do which always seems to be the unadvised way to do things. I hope this is written politically correct as I do not want to offend anyone...more a general question.
Yeah, I bet that 99% of those people are immature teenagers (mature and sophisticated teenagers don't fit into this observation). The I.T.'s should be blocked from this site because they annoy me, as well as others here and aren't useful contributors of knowledge to the aquaria hobby, when they demonstrate maladaptive behaviors. Just plain immature. :multi: Those infantiles are what's keeping this site from being #1 I assure you.

Yeah, I bet that 99% of those people are immature teenagers (mature and sophisticated teenagers don't fit into this observation). The I.T.'s should be blocked from this site because they annoy me, as well as others here and aren't useful contributors of knowledge to the aquaria hobby, when they demonstrate maladaptive behaviors. Just plain immature. :multi: Those infantiles are what's keeping this site from being #1 I assure you.

yeah but at the same time, there is no reason to be an uptight blowhard 100% of the time either

im not a teenager, but i assure every1 here that im verrrrrrrrry immature. i do believe, that i do , somewhat, contribute.

i dont believe that its necessary to block people simply due to someone elses not likeing them.

This is NOT the response I was looking for nor do I expect it from an AA member. This site is here to learn from and teach what you know. As you put it those "immature teenagers" are here. They are not problems. THEY ARE HERE TO LEARN. and I would almost guarrentee that they are NOT the only ones not taking advantage of the lessons to be learned. Your Post was inappropriate at the very least.

Barry

Back
Top Bottom